• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

most durable leather (ostrich?) for wallet

newmember2010

Reaction score
Looking for a wallet that looks good and MOST importantly can be used everyday and will last an extremely long time. I absolutely hate purchasing things a second time. I understand a wallet is not supposed to last a lifetime but I want one that will last as close to a lifetime as possible. I am willing to pay top dollar for one that will. I have no experience with ostrich leather but think it looks very good so others please chime in. Any experience with crocodile vs alligator (safari finish) and longevity in wallets? Lizard? other suggestions are much welcomed. Once again I want to reiterate longevity over style... Please feel free to chime in with experience of good makers... I do not care about paying for a name either. Thanks...

Also if anyone wants to chime in on EXTREMELY DURABLE leather belts to be worn with dark jeans and polo shirts please let me know... (what leathers are acceptable/best) for jeans...

Is this too dressy for jeans... btw it is 35mm/1.37 inches wide?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/3086994?...=keywordsearch

newmember2010

Reaction score
Also I should add that I am 6'4'' with a 34" waist... Not sure if that matters for belt width but I could see how it might especially if the 35mm seems to be on the thin side for jeans?

And I just wanted to clarify what I wrote initally about paying for a name... I think what I wrote made it sound like I care about name brand which is not true. What I meant was that I do not care to pay for a name unless they are the best.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Elephant.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

MKB

Reaction score

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell Cordovan will be fairly long lasting.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Elephant is the most scuff resistant leather known to man. It skives well and has a good (relatively soft) "hand."

Shagreen or Stingray is comprised on tiny ivory "beads" (for lack of a better word)...underneath the leather is more like a net of fibers than a mat of fibers...if you see what I mean. The beads would wear a hole in your pocket before the wallet itself was damaged. Due to the hardness of the "beads" I would be worried it wouldn't fold or "sit" well.

Rhino, maybe...haven't seen any rhino.

Ostrich is more like puff pastry--the grain layer is pretty slick and pretty durable but depending on the country of origin, the tanning, and so forth the fiber mat underneath can be very loose and subject to delamination (especially true of Ostrich that is not from the South African Klein Karoo farms.). That said, good ostrich...Klein Karoo ostrich...can be a good choice. Excellent, supple hand.

Kangaroo is the strongest, most tear resistant leather, ounce for ounce, of any leather known to man. But thin. Would make a great lightweight dress wallet or check book cover. Not necessarily durable when subject to constant abrasion.

Shark...heavy, smelly, stiff, and painted. Good scratch resistance.

Shell...again heavy and perhaps a bit coarse for a wallet. Very stiff. Not particularly scuff or scratch resistant.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dirty-chinese-girls-black-lingerie-11.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
dirty-chinese-girls-black-lingerie-11.jpg

I'm pretty sure that using leather from those creatures is illegal in most states. And in New Jersey, you can only find bright orange hides.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Stainless Steel wallet from hammacher schlemmer?

newmember2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Elephant is the most scuff resistant leather known to man. It skives well and has a good (relatively soft) "hand."

Shagreen or Stingray is comprised on tiny ivory "beads" (for lack of a better word)...underneath the leather is more like a net of fibers than a mat of fibers...if you see what I mean. The beads would wear a hole in your pocket before the wallet itself was damaged. Due to the hardness of the "beads" I would be worried it wouldn't fold or "sit" well.

Rhino, maybe...haven't seen any rhino.

Ostrich is more like puff pastry--the grain layer is pretty slick and pretty durable but depending on the country of origin, the tanning, and so forth the fiber mat underneath can be very loose and subject to delamination (especially true of Ostrich that is not from the South African Klein Karoo farms.). That said, good ostrich...Klein Karoo ostrich...can be a good choice. Excellent, supple hand.

Kangaroo is the strongest, most tear resistant leather, ounce for ounce, of any leather known to man. But thin. Would make a great lightweight dress wallet of check book cover. Not necessarily durable when subject to constant abrasion.

Shark...heavy, smelly, stiff, and painted. Good scratch resistance.

Shell...again heavy and perhaps a bit coarse for a wallet. Very stiff. Not particularly scuff or scratch resistant.

WOW WOW and more WOW.... this was exactly the post I was looking for... Guys and gals, please feel free to continue adding to this list beyond the other ones. Now I need to find which companys/people make the best quality for these. You guys rock btw... BTW for those that read this, there is a review of stainless steel wallets on youtube and it is quite bad btw because of the sharp edges tearing pockets. Much thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread!!!

newmember2010

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the belt I posted for wearing with dark jeans and polo shirts/casual striped thicker cotton bottondowns that are worn untucked? What about the 35mm/1.37 inch width of it... is that too thin for a casual jeans belt? Thanks

Jacob_G

Reaction score
and dont forget the metal corners (like cartier)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics