• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most dependable back-up option for your computer?

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get an external hard drive for backup purposes, but it seems that no matter which one I look at there is a 50/50 chance that the thing will die in 6 months and don't want to buy a backup for the backup. Is there one that is more dependable? Is there another system out there that is more fail proof?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. Failure is a certainty.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The point of the backup is, the odds are minimal that both the backup and the original will fail at once. So if the backup fails, you replace it. And if your main drive fails, you recreate that from the backup. Most external hard drives come with either a 3- or 5-year warranty. I just had one fail, and Western Digital sent me a new one.

If you don't like the idea of the backup failing, consider getting a RAID system. My current external HD is a 2-drive array from Western Digital. Each drive is 500GB and they are mirrored--each one contains everything on the other. The internal software/firmware handles all that seamlessly. The idea is, if one half of the mirror fails, you pull that drive, slide in a new one, and the drive recreates the mirror. That's the theory. I haven't had to try it in practice.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The point of the backup is, the odds are minimal that both the backup and the original will fail at once. So if the backup fails, you replace it. And if your main drive fails, you recreate that from the backup.

Your right. I guess I never thought about it that way.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
How did you get more than 1 year?

In the technical details it says 5 year warranty

Edit: saw the one year warranty, wierd, 5 year must be a typo, sorry about that

05charley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
I am looking to get an external hard drive for backup purposes, but it seems that no matter which one I look at there is a 50/50 chance that the thing will die in 6 months and don't want to buy a backup for the backup. Is there one that is more dependable? Is there another system out there that is more fail proof?

You might want to think about backing up more than just your hard drive. PCs are cheap enough that you can have one at another location in case of fire or other loss. You can periodically back up one and transfer important data to the other - I'm thinking accounting data that you don't want to lose. You can also Norton Ghost your hard drive to a new one and keep the old one at a separate location. I'm sure this wouldn't work for a lot of applications, but will for simple business systems.

I had a friend in Miami a few years ago who kept a backup of her accounting system on a disk in her desk drawer. One night thieves broke in and took her computer and her desk. Once you have had a disaster like this you spend some time to figure out a recovery plan. My accounting data is on a PC that never goes on the Internet.

Another company lost their factory to a fire. All their backups were in the building and were useless. It took employees months to manually reenter data from hard copy that survived the fire.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Depending on your internet connection (and patience), what about an online backup?

Personally, I use two back up drives that are only turned on when they are needed. Saves a hell of a lot of wear and tear and I'm sure they'll last several computers.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the seagates have a 5 year warranty, but the reviews on Amazon are really bad.

I guess will look to get two of them. I have a fairly nice fire-proof safe, so I should be good in case of a fire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics