1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Most cotton clothing is GENETICALLY MODIFIED... ****The Official List of GM-Free Cotton Clothing****

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by 4characters, Jun 3, 2013.

1. 4characters

4characters Well-Known Member

Organic cotton dose not do this:
    [​IMG]
    or this
    [​IMG]
    or this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. 4characters

Just contacted Gustin denim from wearGustin.com

I know they use some organics, which is exelent, they also have a very interesting business model which allows them to sell jeans at less then half retail.

I'll try to get more info...

3. 4characters

I'm also contacting Cone Denim to see there GM pollicy, they make some fine organic cotton fabrics as well; pretty nice stuff from what I'v seen.

Cone Denim=USA quality made selvedge

4. 4characters

hear is an interesting excerpt from: http://www.responsibletechnology.or...lergies-Genetically-Engineered-Corn-June-2007

"Bt Cotton Triggers Allergic Reactions

A 2005 report by medical investigators in India describes an ominous finding. Hundreds of agricultural workers are developing moderate or severe allergic reactions when exposed to Bt cotton. This includes those picking cotton, loading it, cleaning it, or even leaning against it. Some at a ginning factory must take antihistamines daily, in order to go to work. Reactions are only triggered with the Bt varieties.[24] Furthermore, the symptoms are virtually identical to those described by the 500 people in Vancouver and Washington who were sprayed with Bt. Only “exacerbations of asthma” were in one list and not the other (see table).

Upper respiratory Eyes Skin Overall
    Bt Spray Sneezing,
    runny nose,
    exacerbations of asthma Watery,
    red Itching, burning, inflammation, red, swelling Fever,
    some in hospital
    Bt cotton Sneezing,
    runny nose Watery,
    red Itching, burning, eruptions,
    red, swelling Fever,
    some in hospital
    (We are unaware of similar reports in the US, where 83% of the cotton is Bt. But in the US, cotton is harvested by machine, not by hand.)
    The experience of the Indian workers begs the question, “How long does the Bt-toxin stay active in the cotton(Jeffrey M. Smith)?”"

5. 4characters

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. 4characters

I found a realy nice Fair Indigo shirt, I love everything about it!
    -Organic cotton
    -Plesent colors
    -Gentle dyes
    -Made in USA

I think that farmers must be the people with some of the most sustainable lifes ever.... I realy like my local farmers, they are realy great people.
    supporting local farmers may make little differance to Kraft or Nestle, but it makes a huge differance to local farmers!

http://www.fairindigo.com/product_info.php/products_id/4328
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  7. 4characters

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps are wonerfull! These natural soaps are so great, I realy like the mint soaps.... They are made in a traditional manner with organic ingredients. "ALL-ONE!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  8. 4characters

more to come...

9. 4characters

Gustin just got back with me:
    "To our Knowledge, the mills we buy from in Japan, Italy and the US do not use GM cotton(Gustin)."

I don't know exactly what this means. I think they are saying they don't know. Gustin dose make very nice organic jeans sometimes though....
    I am also trying to contact different denim mills to find out whitch ones use natural cotton.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  10. 4characters

Cotton that gets brighter colores with age!!!

Its natural undyed colored cotton, take a look! this cotton naturally grows this way.

[​IMG]

11. 4characters

lets go back to baisic. What kinds of cotton are there?

types of cotton excerpt from http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/cotton-info2.htm:

"Types of Cotton

There are more than 30 types of cotton plants, ranging from small shrubs less than one foot (30 cm) tall to trees more than 10 feet (3 m) high. Some of the better-known types are described below.

Sea Island Cotton,
    with a staple of 1 3/8 to 2 1/2 inches (3.5–6.4 cm), has the highest quality fiber but its susceptibility to insect attack makes commercial production impractical. It is named for the Sea Islands (off the coast of the southeastern United States), where it was grown until the boll weevil halted production in the 1920's.

Egyptian Cotton
    has yellowish fibers that are only slightly shorter than those of Sea Island cotton—1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches (3.8–4.4 cm) long. This cotton is used in making thread, raincoats, underwear, and hosiery. An American type of Egyptian cotton, called American pima, is grown in the southwestern Cotton Belt under irrigation.

Upland Cotton
    is the main type grown in the United States. It is also grown all over the rest of the cotton-producing world. The fibers are white, 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches (1.9–3.8 cm) long. The plant is 2 1/2 to 4 feet (75–120 cm) tall. It is native to Mexico and Central America.

Asiatic Cotton
    has fibers less than one inch (2.5 cm) long and rather coarse in texture. It is grown mostly in India, Iran, China, and Russia.

Other Cottons of commercial importance include Peruvian cotton, with fuzzy, almost wool-like fibers, and Brazilian cotton, a perennial cotton with long, silky fibers. Levant, Mexican, and Jamaica cottons are wild varieties that may have been the early relatives of some modern varieties. Colored cotton has been produced by some agricultural experimenters, but cloth woven from it tends to fade in strong sunlight."

12. 4characters

I wil try to find out which types of cotton are modifyed... stay tuned....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  13. 4characters

14. 4characters

Upland Cotton seems to be the big GM cotton....

15. 4characters

GM-free: The Good stuff!

Excerpt from http://www.agmrc.org/commodities__products/fiber/cotton-profile/ :

"Two types of cotton are grown in the United States: American upland (Gossypium hirsutum) and American pima (Gossypium barbadense), or extra-long staple (ELS) cotton. The predominant type of cotton grown is upland, which accounts for about 97 percent of U.S. production. The top producers of upland cotton in 2010 were (in order by volume): Texas, Georgia, Arkansas, North Carolina and Mississippi (NASS 2011). The balance of the U.S. crop is ELS or pima cotton, which is mainly produced in California."

Excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossypium_barbadense#Sea_Island_cotton :
    "Gossypium barbadense
    , also known as extra long staple (ELS) cotton[1] as it generally has a staple of at least 1 3/8" or longer,[2] is a species of cotton plant. Some types of ELS cotton are American Pima, Egyptian Giza, Indian Suvin, Chinese Xinjiang, Sudanese Barakat, and Russian Tonkovoloknistyi.[2] It is a tropical, frost-sensitive perennial plant that produces yellow flowers and has black seeds. It grows as a small, bushy tree and yields cotton with unusually long, silky fibers."

"American Pima accounts for less than 5% of U.S. cotton production. It is grown chiefly in California, with small acreages in West Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.[""

16. 4characters

from what I'v found Extra Long Staple Cotton is not GM.

Upland cotton is relatively low quality and usualy genetically modified.

as I found on wikipedia, Two kinds of cotton are grown in the US: upland and pima or extra-long staple (ELS) cotton.

upland accounts for about 97 percent of U.S. production(Wikipedia).

17. 4characters

ELS cotton is better, hears why....

Excerpt from: http://www.supima.com

"Pima cotton is a generic name for extra-long staple (ELS) cotton grown in the U.S., Australia, Peru and in very limited production in a few other locations around the world. Pima is from the gossypium barbadense species, compared to gossypium hirsutum, to which upland cotton belongs. The primary differences between Pima (ELS growths) cotton and upland cotton are staple length, strength of the fiber and fineness of the fiber. In the U.S., cotton is considered to be ELS or American Pima if it is an inch and 3/8 or longer. Its strength and uniformity measurements are considerably higher than those of upland cotton.

• A Longer Staple Length
    The staple length of Supima is 35% longer than regular cottons. This increases softness and luster. Fewer fiber ends are exposed, minimizing the effects of abrasion resulting in less pilling.
    • A Stronger Fiber
    Supima is up to 45% stronger than regular cottons. This makes Supima products extraordinarily resilient. Even lighter-weight Supima fabrics are incredibly durable, without compromising drape and comfort.
    • A Vibrant Fiber
    Supima absorbs and retains color better than regular cottons. This means that Supima products retain their brilliance over many years of use."

18. 4characters

more to come...

19. 4characters

more to come...

20. 4characters

more to come...