1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most common style mistakes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GatorStyle, Mar 20, 2002.

1. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

I try to avoid judging other people by their clothing. These are my "pet peeves" - at least the ones I can think of off the type of my head - and have been since long before SF:

- White socks with anything other than athletic shoes
    - Socks with shorts (casually)
    - Grossly underdressing at "dressy" events (i.e., the person who wore a Celtics jersey to a graduation ceremony)
    - Sneakers with suits

2. xzacx

xzacx Active Member

#1 Too big suits. Especially Africans here are guilty of this, but I think it must be that they're used to really hot places where roomy clothes can keep you cooler. Many of them are also quite poor so they've probably picked up their clothes from a thrift store, thus not much chance for sizing. But for anyone else it's nothing but not knowing how to get something in a proper size.

How have more people not called out this ignorant statement?

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Because he is an obvious troll.

4. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

I invite you all to meet Laxdn Man, seen here at his own wedding...
    Attachment 66333
    I think the tag reads 'LAXDN Pour Homme'.

what is that stuff that looks like BB's on that jacket? That label is a monstrosity.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

Regarding sleeve labels. I had literally an entire table of friends try to tell me those dumb cashmere labels are supposed to remain on. No way in hell would I do that.
    You sir need new friends.

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

what is that stuff that looks like BB's on that jacket?
    His wedding rose... Attachment 66410 ..as I was 'best man', I had to wear one as well. Want to see more of the happy day? Go here... http://gallery.me.com/gomem#100104&b...lack&view=grid
    That label is a monstrosity.
    Welcome to the land of shiny suits and brand whores.
    [​IMG]

7. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

I'm sorry but it's not ignorant. The majority of African (yes, people who are actually from Africa) people here are refugees from countries like Somalia etc. where the standard of living is much lower than here. Obviously there are exceptions but that doesn't change the fact that many Africans who come to Finland have got next to nothing upon arrival. If you were thinking I was speaking of the US and African-Americans then read again.

8. latindandy

latindandy Well-Known Member

looks like it's a LANVIN.
    Anyway, that's one shiny suit ... he must a a tropical music performer ...

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'm sorry but it's not ignorant. The majority of African (yes, people who are actually from Africa) people here are refugees from countries like Somalia etc. where the standard of living is much lower than here. Obviously there are exceptions but that doesn't change the fact that many Africans who come to Finland have got next to nothing upon arrival.

If you were thinking I was speaking of the US and African-Americans then read again.

They're moving to Finland...

That must be a cultural shock...

10. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Wearing tweed in town and under the age of 50

[​IMG]

Pink shirts coupled with too many patterns in one combination:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

13. djlukin

djlukin Well-Known Member

1. Jacket sleeve length

2. Tie length (too short more times than not)

3. Shirts that don't tuck in correctly (way too baggy around waste)

4. Pants too long

5. Gross sunglasses

6. "loose fit"

7. Bigger men in slim fits.

8. Smaller men in regular fits.

9. Tie knots too loose

10. Gross over-use of simple knot

11. Simple knot with wide collars

12. Wrinkled ties

13. Cheap soled army boot style dress shoes

14. Sleeves too short

15. Neck too tight (more prominent than neck too loose for me)

16. Shirt/tie combo packages.

17. Tie chains (I really did see one the other day...)

18. Short sleeved dress shirts....

19. White socks in business settings

20. Wife beaters visible through shirts

21. Unbuttoned top button with tie

22. Any generic accessories

23. Button down collars with suits

24. Abnormally small tie knots (or large simple knots tied loosely)

25. Cotton chinos in a business setting.

I see all of these things so frequently

14. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

One photo...

[​IMG]

If they'd just put on some socks, everything would be ducky.

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

#1. Items with logos on blatant display.

Did I mention my new line of clothing? It's called "Corporate Shill." Tommy Hilfiger is bad with this, and D&G and CK are horrible too. Whoopee, you can afford a $60 (or whatever) black cotton t-shirt that says D&G on it. You must have good fashion sense.

Though in some cases it can bring out the style. RL's Big Pony's are nice and add a sporty touch to the shirt imo, and were the first company to really brand there Polos that way. Obviously though I don't see the sportiness of a giant Express Lion Logo on express shirts, or even people who I see buy that rip off USPOLO with the giant logo just blatantly telling the world you are trying to copy RL Polo.

But I do see your point, it is in most ways corporate advertising and on their part is very smart.

16. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Biggest Peeves:

1. Calling Aeropostale, American Eagle, A&F, Hollister, Express, etc.. Preppy Brands or even stylish/good brands
    2. People who wear visibile undershirts under dress shirts, i don't need to see your white crewneck undershirt when you unbutton your collar
    3. Black shoes on Navy/Blue suits
    4. Ill-Fitting Clothes
    5. When it looks like Mom dressed you
    6. When you're income is $300,000+ but you are buying JCPenny suits
    7. People who bash people who do dress nicely, and coordinated. Nothing wrong with being a good dresser, especially if you are bashing someone and you yourself fall into #1
    8. When you say clothing brands don't matter and there is no difference between a suit from Express and a suit from Paul Stuart or RL
    9. Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
    10. Not knowing how to tie a tie
    11. Think you are wearing a stylish blazer inside-out like Fresh Prince did in his highschool, your face looks like [​IMG] but everyone else is looking at you like [​IMG]
    12. I can go on and on...

17. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

One photo...

[​IMG]

Dexys Midnight Runners has a new album out?

18. kook

kook Well-Known Member

Biggest Peeves:

1. Calling Aeropostale, American Eagle, A&F, Hollister, Express, etc.. Preppy Brands or even stylish/good brands
    2. People who wear visibile undershirts under dress shirts, i don't need to see your white crewneck undershirt when you unbutton your collar
    3. Black shoes on Navy/Blue suits
    4. Ill-Fitting Clothes
    5. When it looks like Mom dressed you
    6. When you're income is $300,000+ but you are buying JCPenny suits
    7. People who bash people who do dress nicely, and coordinated. Nothing wrong with being a good dresser, especially if you are bashing someone and you yourself fall into #1
    8. When you say clothing brands don't matter and there is no difference between a suit from Express and a suit from Paul Stuart or RL
    9. Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
    10. Not knowing how to tie a tie
    11. Think you are wearing a stylish blazer inside-out like Fresh Prince did in his highschool, your face looks like [​IMG] but everyone else is looking at you like [​IMG]
    12. I can go on and on...

...really? [​IMG]

19. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Biggest Peeves:

[*]People who bash people who do dress nicely, and coordinated. Nothing wrong with being a good dresser, especially if you are bashing someone and you yourself fall into #1

+100000000000000.

[*]Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
    I've been to weddings where people have worn shorts and sneakers and they bashed you if you wore a blazer.

20. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

...really? [​IMG]
    Yes.. are you really really-ing me? Black Shoes on navy suit is a mistake. Dark Brown (but not too dark) is the best way to go. Black should be reserved for black/charcoal suits.
    +100000000000000. [*]Coming to a wedding with only a vest and no jacket to accompany it
    I've been to weddings where people have worn shorts and sneakers and they bashed you if you wore a blazer.[/quote] Yes, and it was hard for me to understand why some people find it acceptable to do these sort of things, especially when they are people you know and maybe even hang out with often.