1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most common style mistakes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GatorStyle, Mar 20, 2002.

1. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Thicker clothing does not equal better clothing.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe that some people deliberately keep the stitching on the pockets (except for the breast pocket) in...

I do that actually. What style mistake is there when no one can tell anyway. I have my jackets' hip pockets unopened and some of my pants' back pockets unopened too. It keeps me from sticking my hands in those pockets or putting my wallet, phone or random shit in there.

What is a style mistake is bulging pockets everywhere.

3. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

I do that actually. What style mistake is there when no one can tell anyway. I have my jackets' hip pockets unopened and some of my pants' back pockets unopened too. It keeps me from sticking my hands in those pockets or putting my wallet, phone or random shit in there.

What is a style mistake is bulging pockets everywhere.

Bingo

4. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe that some people deliberately keep the stitching on the pockets (except for the breast pocket) in...

True, which is a valid option. But I am referring to those who don't open the Breast pocket.

5. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I'll count down:

3) A jacket that's too small. (when the guy reaches to shake your hand, and you can see half a foot of his shirt sleeve. Time to go shopping, bud.)

2) When people are underdressed. If you attend a nice event and you took time to look the part, you did so to make yourself presentable. I hate it when other guys don't even spend the time to look nice for something like a concert.

+100

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Cheap, ALDO shoes.

+100000.

7. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

4. Pink shirts

5. Cuff links

-1. Two of my favorite things to wear...

8. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

deets on shoes?

Shirt and pants, not bad, shoes and belt, very bad. I can't stand belts like that(I don't know what they're called) that are just a chunk of leather rather than lined, I also think it's too wide. The cuffed jeans also bug me, like the shirt though.

9. Patek

Patek Senior member

*Goes to count the number of dive watches with suits in WAYWRN*
    Sad but true [​IMG].

10. JJGooden

JJGooden Senior member

Dark shirt, dark jacket, and light tie. Reminds me of Regis Philbin on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

What's that Seiko model?

SRK013P1

Shirt and pants, not bad, shoes and belt, very bad. I can't stand belts like that(I don't know what they're called) that are just a chunk of leather rather than lined, I also think it's too wide. The cuffed jeans also bug me, like the shirt though.

That's why I'm wearing it, not you. [​IMG]

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Square-toed shoes. [​IMG] And by square-toed, I mean those god-awful duckbill looking things you see all over the place.

13. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Anything from Express. Shit just looks cheap man.

omg I actually remember shopping there...I'm so ashamed! [​IMG]

14. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Here's a good summary if you're just tuning in.

1. the huge tommy logos or whatever. There are guys with winter jackets and the whole jacket is a TOMMY HILFIGER. I call them walking billboards. tons of indians did this in toronto when i was at school there. it was my #1 pet peeve and why i won't even enter the hilfiger section of a store.

A ton of Hispanics do this too. Please tell them to stop.

White guys wearing FuBu.
    The "Abercrombie look"

The term for those white guys is Wanksta.
    I dislike Abercrombie because their shirts have sleeves that extend way beyond your hands and their employees are for the most part dbags (girls can be dbags too IMO).

2. Too much jewelry

I can't stand gold. It's not to say it doesn't look good on some things or some people but, for me, I would take silver over gold any day. I've seen peeps wear their gold necklace around their polo collar and it causes me great grief. Do they want to mugged? IDK I can't figure it out.

This is the oldest thread i have ever seen bumped.

Carry on.

with your permission good sir. [​IMG]

Cheap, ALDO shoes.

Essentially an expensive cheap pair of shoes.

#1 Style mistake is not wearing your shit with confidence.

Style is 80% from within and 20% in what you wearing.

Really? Could you wear Ed Hardy and still be confident?

2.) Somone actually wearing a suit straight off the rack--including labels on the sleeves etc. I saw this more than once at a recent international tradeshow from various African delegations. I actually felt sorry for the countries that they were there to represent.

+1

They don't know better man. Is ignorance excusable?

Actually that was a terrible summary but it's just what caught my attention while speed reading LOLOL

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Thicker clothing does not equal better clothing.

No or the Innuits will be the Luca Rubinacci of this world.

16. blahman

blahman Senior member

Really? Could you wear Ed Hardy and still be confident?
    When one dons proud The Ed Hardy It's not confidence It's fool-hardy -- Anonymous True story.

17. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Regarding sleeve labels. I had literally an entire table of friends try to tell me those dumb cashmere labels are supposed to remain on. No way in hell would I do that.

18. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I don't know what the Africans were thinking, but lots of Chinese from Mainland China do this to show off the brands of suits they bought. For them, the tag on the sleeve is a badge of honour for brand chasers. I think this practice is on the wane, though. Think Hermes Man.
    I invite you all to meet Laxdn Man, seen here at his own wedding... Attachment 66333 I think the tag reads 'LAXDN Pour Homme'.
    [​IMG]

19. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

When one dons proud
    The Ed Hardy
    It's not confidences
    It's fool-hardy
    -- Anonymous

True story.

damn right.

I remember a GQ issue where they interviewed Christian Audgier (I don't care enought to google search his name) and it was interesting to read, not because he's such a great designer but, beacause he was such an airhead and so narcissistic that it made me want to throw up. Can you believe people actually want to buy his shit? It's absurd. For $60 a tee with horrible graphics, I'd rather give my money away.

20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I invite you all to meet Laxdn Man, seen here at his own wedding...
    Attachment 66333
    I think the tag reads 'LAXDN Pour Homme'.

You'd think on his wedding day people would at least refrain from shooting BBs at his shoulder.