• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common style mistakes

Bean Counter

Reaction score
1) Wearing OCBDs but failing to BD.

2) Sloppy collar due to lack of stays or failure to replace stays.

3) Ill fitting shirts. To me, shirts "blousing" is much worse than ill fitting pants.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I will be monitoring this thread closely....

lenahan

Reaction score
buttoning the bottom buttons of jackets (a few feel it necessary to tell me to do the same, I want to slap them): it looks ABSOLUTELY terrible

Short and/or white socks with black or brown shoes

wearing a lounge suit to a "BLACK TIE" event

polyester ties, shirts, etc...

trousers with too high or low a break

trousers worn on the hips

spiky hairstyles

black suits (allowable for funerals)

digital watches

not wearing a watch, and then asking me for the time because I do, or saying it is stupid to wear a watch because you have a cell phone, which takes them like a minute or two to even find.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggest mistake is pants deliberately low rise or loose where others can see your butt crack.

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
#1. Items with logos on blatant display.

Did I mention my new line of clothing? It's called "Corporate Shill." Tommy Hilfiger is bad with this, and D&G and CK are horrible too. Whoopee, you can afford a $60 (or whatever) black cotton t-shirt that says D&G on it. You must have good fashion sense.

#2. Ill-fitting pants.

Pants are supposed to come to your waist, which is a bit below your navel. Does it make you feel better about yourself to buy the ones with a smaller number inside and then hang your gut over the top? Pants also are supposed to hang to the bottom of your shoe, more or less. No sock showing, no extra piles of fabric. It's really very simple.

#3. Generally, underdressing for an occasion.

One simply does not go to the opera in a polo shirt, but many men do. It is extremely insulting to performers to have their audience appear not to care at all about the event.

One also does not go out to do anything of any import, whether it is dinner, business, or just out and about, while wearing basketball shoes. If they are Chuck Taylors, worn for the purpose of looking like Chuck Taylors, they can work in some situations. But how can you expect anyone to take you seriously in those beat up (or even brand new) Nikes?

I could rattle off dozens of these, but these are the ones that first came to mind as bugging me the most. These are not faux pas, they are poor taste, and there is a difference. Faux pas are excusable, while poor taste is very difficult for me to excuse. I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say on this.

You do know that the waist was formerly considered 2" above the navel. Much too high for me.

Pants should actually just touch the top of the shoe and hemmed on a bias so that the back hits about halfway on the back of the shoe. The bak of the pants should be 3/4' longer.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lenahan

not wearing a watch, and then asking me for the time because I do,

Yeah, I find having people ask me what time it is totally unreasonable. I usually just reply "Time for you to get a watch MF."
facepalm.gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
#1 wearing suits when nobody else is.
haters-gonna-hate-5.jpg
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I will be monitoring this thread closely....
Excellent. That'll leave me free to keep an eye on that ernest guy over to the "I plan to buy a Rolex" thread.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Pink Jeans
Sports coat with shorts.
Bowler hat with inverness cape
Cowboy hat with rifle.
Farrari jacket with white kiton jeans
Hermes brandwhores
Self-deprication

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Pink Jeans
Sports coats with shorts.
Bowler hats with inverness capes
Cowboy hat with rifle.
Farrari jacket with white kiton jeans
Hermes brandwhores
self-deprication

worship.gif
Oh, and your spelling sucks.
devil.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

andrew96

Reaction score
1. Ill fitting clothing, mainly ill fitted shirts. I had a teacher some time ago, and granted Professors aren't known for their style, this man was awful even on their standard. He wore a shirt at least 6 sizes to big, stained, same for his pants, but the worst was that he was wearing a belt about 1.5 feet too long, he ran it through two belt loops and back around.

2. Undershirts. Enough said.

3. Miss matched belt/shoe combos.

4. Polyester.

I'm excluding logos, etc because that's not really dress clothing.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OJFC, most incredible necrobump ever.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
2. Undershirts. Enough said.

Do you wear white shirts?

6up

Reaction score
You guys crack me up.

3. Wear white tube socks much? you wouldnt believe how many people don't know this basic rule, even in a relatively well dressed city like montreal (although i admit it's mostly the math geeks and engineers and stuff breaking it around school).
+1

....and to take up up a notch, sock with flipflops/sandals/Birkenstocks.
ffffuuuu.gif

Oleg

Reaction score
1. Worrying as much or more about what others are doing wrong than with what you're doing right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads