1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most comfortable shoes at under $200

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chicagobull, Jul 12, 2006.

1. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

my brother, also in the medical profession, seems to be a big fan of Danskos, which can be had for under $200.

if you're talking about dress shoes, i'd go with Allen Edmonds, as has been mentioned previously.

-Jeff

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

i wear exclusively, almost, wear Cole Haan shoes. find them very comfortable and get good longevity from them. I do not see them mentioned on SF very often if at all...but for $200 range with leather soles there is nothing better
    I have a few pairs of Cole Haan, one with with Nike Air. They're indeed comfortable for all day wear. Those you can usually find on sale for around $100 either through Cole Haan, Nordstrom, or eBay. Something like these: http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ctGroup=106461

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

My impression, probably based on nothing aside from ignorant speculation, was that Cole Haan doesn't necessarily use a consistent source for their shoes and that as such generalizations about fit/comfort are tricky.
    In response to an earlier question, I have a pair of Taryn Rose loafers that I would say fit a bit on the small side.

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

My impression, probably based on nothing aside from ignorant speculation, was that Cole Haan doesn't necessarily use a consistent source for their shoes and that as such generalizations about fit/comfort are tricky.

True. I've noticed the Italian made shoes are a bit narrower. I also have 2 pairs of English benchmade, and while I don't know who made those, they're made better than CT/Loake shoes. Those oxfords with Nike Air tend to run in normal width and made pretty consistently.

5. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

How do the members feel about the design and quality of Cole Haan vs. Bostonian and Ecco?

6. rgpuppy

rgpuppy Active Member

IMHO...Bostonian was once a good shoe....today all i see are cheap leather with plastic soles at Macy's etc.

Ecco are a little too something (casual or what I am not sure) or maybe just not classic enough for my taste so i have never worn them

7. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

The 3 pair of Taryn Rose I purchased - brown captoe blucher, black monk, and brown leather sandals - are very comfortable. I am on my feet most of the day and do a ton of walking. They are more comfortable than my AE, Toschi and Paraboots.

They fit true to size with a somewhat wide toe box/forefoot - which is key for me. I'm a pretty tough fit. I find most AE's are too snug for me in the toe box/forefoot.

The only possible downside is that the leather is incredibly soft -- which I consider a good thing but may ultimately lead to durability issues.

At $130-$150 - I highly endorse them.

8. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

FWIW I believe the US Secret Service uses Eccos as standard issues and obviously their agents do a lot of walking and standing around.

I don't believe USSS issues shoes. Certainly, none of the USSS agents that I know wear anything that looks like an Ecco, though rubber soled dress shoes are common.

9. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

The 3 pair of Taryn Rose I purchased - brown captoe blucher, black monk, and brown leather sandals - are very comfortable. I am on my feet most of the day and do a ton of walking. They are more comfortable than my AE, Toschi and Paraboots.

They fit true to size with a somewhat wide toe box/forefoot - which is key for me. I'm a pretty tough fit. I find most AE's are too snug for me in the toe box/forefoot.

The only possible downside is that the leather is incredibly soft -- which I consider a good thing but may ultimately lead to durability issues.

At $130-$150 - I highly endorse them.

Just purchased my second pair of Taryn Rose. For me they run about 1/2 size large-- went with 11.5 when I usually wear a 12. Incredibly comfortable but not leather soled. Grapevine is the lowest price source I've found.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I don't believe USSS issues shoes. Certainly, none of the USSS agents that I know wear anything that looks like an Ecco, though rubber soled dress shoes are common.

That's what I heard, but I'm sure it could have been wrong, I didn't hear it from a USSS agent, I think someone posted it here when talking about ecco shoes last.

BTW, one interesting thing about Cole Haan is that Gary's, a high end mens retailer in Newport Beach, only carries Cole Haan shoes, which is sort of amusing.

11. chicagobull

chicagobull Well-Known Member

Interesting.. I have learned that Taryn Rose herself is an orthopedic surgeon. If anyone would know how to design a shoe for people who are on their feet all day it would be an orthopedic surgeon!

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions, I think I have narrowed down my choices to Taryn Rose, Cole Haan with Nike Air, or Ecco. It is just overwhelming because every brand seems to claim to have the best technology for their shoes. Now I just need to find some time to try them all on (especially as we got 3 different answers about how Taryn Rose fits). I will probably buy them online though, as I will surely save a lot of money..

12. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

To clarify -- all of my Taryn Rose are leather soled (albeit the sandals have rubber and leather).

13. XFactor

XFactor Senior member

Given that it is 2013 - I would love to have some updated recommendations on this front.

Especially, for
    - a traveling consultant
    - who has to spend a lot of time on feet
    - in flights
    - use shoes in the office and also
    - as the EVENING step out convert (after office hours are over).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. flyart

flyart New Member

Finn Comfort Shoes. Especially the York style (unfortunately, it is very difficult to get the York in Black in the US).

http://www.finncomfort.com/collections/mens.aspx

Many other brands to choose from. These are just my current walkers in the hospital.

15. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I work in an E.D. here in Denver and got some Gravis split toes on ebay that work really well.

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    many here sneer, but i'm devoted to eccos. they do make lines that dont' look orthopedic and they do make lines that aren't branded. sometimes you have to look for them. i've got very problematic feet and i can walk for miles in these without problem.

1 person likes this.
  18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I went with the J & M xc4 system. I went with the Suffolk Venetian loafer because I wanted a shoe to wear through the security line that I could slip on and off. Very comfortable on your feet. Look dressy enough (leather welt) but also wear with jeans when I don't want to tote extra shoes. Plus they're water resistant so they will hold you in various weather conditions.

1 person likes this.