Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Most comfortable shoes at under $200

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chicagobull, Jul 12, 2006.

1. chicagobull

chicagobull Well-Known Member

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think Rockport and Ecco would be low priced alternatives to Mephisto for comfort, but I do enjoy wearing my Mephistos when I am going to be walking long distances, especially in cooler weather.

FWIW I believe the US Secret Service uses Eccos as standard issues and obviously their agents do a lot of walking and standing around.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Some J&M models have a nice cushion inside them. I had a relative who was a teacher for years, and could stand all day in these.

be that as it may with the quality of j&m's, i have to agree on this one. they are quite well-cushioned inside.

4. rgpuppy

rgpuppy Active Member

I recommend any of the Bostonian shoes with the 2Pod insole. I recently picked up a paid of Ecco shoes which are also very comfortable. Unfortunatly both of these brands don't offer leather soles at least that I know of. I have been looking for a comfortable pair of leather sole shoes for a while now without any luck. You can always add insoles which other members have recommended.

i wear exclusively, almost, wear Cole Haan shoes. find them very comfortable and get good longevity from them.

I do not see them mentioned on SF very often if at all...but for $200 range with leather soles there is nothing better

5. MysticAura

MysticAura Senior member

Hey dead dog, how do the Taryn Rose fit? True to size?

6. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

my brother, also in the medical profession, seems to be a big fan of Danskos, which can be had for under $200.

if you're talking about dress shoes, i'd go with Allen Edmonds, as has been mentioned previously.

-Jeff

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

i wear exclusively, almost, wear Cole Haan shoes. find them very comfortable and get good longevity from them. I do not see them mentioned on SF very often if at all...but for $200 range with leather soles there is nothing better
    I have a few pairs of Cole Haan, one with with Nike Air. They're indeed comfortable for all day wear. Those you can usually find on sale for around $100 either through Cole Haan, Nordstrom, or eBay. Something like these: http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ctGroup=106461

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

My impression, probably based on nothing aside from ignorant speculation, was that Cole Haan doesn't necessarily use a consistent source for their shoes and that as such generalizations about fit/comfort are tricky.
    In response to an earlier question, I have a pair of Taryn Rose loafers that I would say fit a bit on the small side.

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

My impression, probably based on nothing aside from ignorant speculation, was that Cole Haan doesn't necessarily use a consistent source for their shoes and that as such generalizations about fit/comfort are tricky.

True. I've noticed the Italian made shoes are a bit narrower. I also have 2 pairs of English benchmade, and while I don't know who made those, they're made better than CT/Loake shoes. Those oxfords with Nike Air tend to run in normal width and made pretty consistently.

10. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

How do the members feel about the design and quality of Cole Haan vs. Bostonian and Ecco?

11. rgpuppy

rgpuppy Active Member

IMHO...Bostonian was once a good shoe....today all i see are cheap leather with plastic soles at Macy's etc.

Ecco are a little too something (casual or what I am not sure) or maybe just not classic enough for my taste so i have never worn them

12. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

The 3 pair of Taryn Rose I purchased - brown captoe blucher, black monk, and brown leather sandals - are very comfortable. I am on my feet most of the day and do a ton of walking. They are more comfortable than my AE, Toschi and Paraboots.

They fit true to size with a somewhat wide toe box/forefoot - which is key for me. I'm a pretty tough fit. I find most AE's are too snug for me in the toe box/forefoot.

The only possible downside is that the leather is incredibly soft -- which I consider a good thing but may ultimately lead to durability issues.

At $130-$150 - I highly endorse them.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

FWIW I believe the US Secret Service uses Eccos as standard issues and obviously their agents do a lot of walking and standing around.

I don't believe USSS issues shoes. Certainly, none of the USSS agents that I know wear anything that looks like an Ecco, though rubber soled dress shoes are common.

14. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

The 3 pair of Taryn Rose I purchased - brown captoe blucher, black monk, and brown leather sandals - are very comfortable. I am on my feet most of the day and do a ton of walking. They are more comfortable than my AE, Toschi and Paraboots.

They fit true to size with a somewhat wide toe box/forefoot - which is key for me. I'm a pretty tough fit. I find most AE's are too snug for me in the toe box/forefoot.

The only possible downside is that the leather is incredibly soft -- which I consider a good thing but may ultimately lead to durability issues.

At $130-$150 - I highly endorse them.

Just purchased my second pair of Taryn Rose. For me they run about 1/2 size large-- went with 11.5 when I usually wear a 12. Incredibly comfortable but not leather soled. Grapevine is the lowest price source I've found.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I don't believe USSS issues shoes. Certainly, none of the USSS agents that I know wear anything that looks like an Ecco, though rubber soled dress shoes are common.

That's what I heard, but I'm sure it could have been wrong, I didn't hear it from a USSS agent, I think someone posted it here when talking about ecco shoes last.

BTW, one interesting thing about Cole Haan is that Gary's, a high end mens retailer in Newport Beach, only carries Cole Haan shoes, which is sort of amusing.