• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Most comfortable shoes at under $200

chicagobull

Reaction score
Hey all, I work in the medical profession, meaning I work long hours, with alot of walking and standing. I currently own a pair of Gordon Rush Shoes which are very stylish, but not the most comfortable for everyday wear. I need a pair of shoes that are comfortable, versaitile, durable, and of course stylish. Any suggestions?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds. They are easy to find on sale for at or under $200. They have a number of more casual styles as well as standard dress styles. Also, they come in a very wide variety of widths - something most buyers overlook when it comes to the fit/comfort. Find your correct size and go nuts.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always had to "break in" BR shoes. Never had this sort of trouble with shoes Ferragamo to Lobb.

deaddog

Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of pair of Taryn Rose from grapevine that are exceptionally comfortable yet look great. Retail is $450 but available by auction for about $130 or even less. Highly recommended

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Doc Martens are very comfortable, as are Banana Republic shoes.

With respect to BR, some are, many aren't. BR doesn't appear use just one factory, so you can't generalize.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Doc Martens are very comfortable, as are Banana Republic shoes. However, with everything just about on sale now you should be able to find a higher quality shoe on sale now at Saks, RL Polo, NM, Barneys, etc.

Re: DM, I'll disagree there - I hate the bastards. I have worn several pairs, all have been ridiculously uncomfortable for me...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Banana shoes have always been very uncomfortable for me. I owned several pairs a couple years ago and I will never buy them again.

Although often reviled here, Mephisto shoes are quite comfortable, if not particularly stylish.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

Although often reviled here, Mephisto shoes are quite comfortable, if not particularly stylish.

Very comfortable and some models in their dress line look fine but it would be hard to find them for under $200(maybe EBay?).

Kasper

Reaction score
I recommend any of the Bostonian shoes with the 2Pod insole. I recently picked up a paid of Ecco shoes which are also very comfortable. Unfortunatly both of these brands don't offer leather soles at least that I know of. I have been looking for a comfortable pair of leather sole shoes for a while now without any luck. You can always add insoles which other members have recommended.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Re: DM, I'll disagree there - I hate the bastards. I have worn several pairs, all have been ridiculously uncomfortable for me...

DM has gone downhill lately. There's a huge difference between those made in the UK and those made in China, Vietnam, etc.,. I loved my DM boots when I was in highschool and undergrad, but those I tried on recently felt like crap. If you buy a pair of DM, make sure they're from the UK. They're very comfortable; but stylish, that's another matter.

chicagobull

Reaction score
I have owned a pair of BR shoes, and didn't find them comfortable at all. As far as DM, I still wear my Docs in the winter, and they have held up VERY well for being 6+ years old. I will be holding on to those for a long time I feel. Don't know about their current standard of quality.

Right now, I am looking for comfort over style, as I have to stand for 10+ hours a day, and something that will last for 2+ years.

What about Rockport? I know they are an old man's shoes, but some of their newer styles are actually pretty good looking. Are they as comfortable as they are reputed to be?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some J&M models have a nice cushion inside them. I had a relative who was a teacher for years, and could stand all day in these.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40