• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most comfortable pair of dress shoes?

docgerrard

Reaction score
I am a medical student and have to be on my feet 12 hours at a time. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what dress shoes are known to be extra comfortable.

Hate to make things hard for you guys, but I'd really like them to be less than $100 (I know, not going to find much but I'm a med student with $200,000 of loans so I have to do what I can lol).

I also prefer brown shoes to black, but obviously this is not a big deal. Thanks!!

LeviMay

Reaction score
They don't get much love 'round these parts, but back in my hotel and restaurant managing days, I swore by Eccos. They're not all that bad looking, they last for a very long time, and they're pretty comfortable. Full retail is ~$200, but I'd imagine you could find them online for quite a bit less.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

They don't get much love 'round these parts, but back in my hotel and restaurant managing days, I swore by Eccos. They're not all that bad looking, they last for a very long time, and they're pretty comfortable. Full retail is ~$200, but I'd imagine you could find them online for quite a bit less.

That was my exact thought when I read the OP. You won't hear them suggested often, but I still use a couple of pairs that I've had forever when it's nasty outside. They're cheap enough, rubber soles and can hold a polish to pass inspection. I don't expect much more from them, but you get what you pay.

PASstudy

Reaction score
Fellow medical student here. I can 2nd the eccos and also offer Cole Haans. A bit more expensive but CH makes some with Nike soles so they are pretty darn comfortable and look dressy enough to keep your attendings happy.

docgerrard

Reaction score
I only want one pair, do you have a recommendation of the two?

Are all Ecco shoes super comfortable or just some of them? LIke I know the Cole Haans with "Air" in the name are the comfortable ones.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

docgerrard

Reaction score
Hmm I couldn't find any pair of Eccos I really like haha. Any thoughts?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent ex-resident.

I have several pairs of Allen Edmonds and two pairs of Santonis but I'll add another +1 for Eccos. Rockport dressports aren't bad either. I have one of those as well.

On days when I knew I'd be on my feet a lot, I skipped the leather-soled shoes and ran around in my Eccos and it was perfectly fine. I have one pair that lasted me through clinicals and 3 years of an IM residency. They are square toed and look like crap but I really didn't give too much of a damn cause they were comfortable and at the end of a long day, the last thing I wanted to be concerned with was that my feet were sore.

On call days, I'd be in running shoes + scrubs.

Last edited:

Harvitz81

Reaction score
You can find barely used Allen Edmonds on the bay for rather cheap (sub $100 easily). I even bought a new discontinued pair of AE Hilcrest's recently for $100 shipped that had never been worn and sat in the back of someone's closet for years. A little renovateur and they were good to go.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm I couldn't find any pair of Eccos I really like haha. Any thoughts?

For under $100, it's going to be hard to find a pair of fantastic looking shoes. I would also recommend a pair of Eccos, they were a great transition shoe from sneaker to leather sole dress shoes. You are on your feet 12 hours a day, go for comfort and a design you can live with.

Last edited:

ckgs

Reaction score
+1 for Ecco. Their Windsor style looks less bulky and is very good quality.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eccos are good robust long lasting shoes which are comfortable. Your feet and preferences are also relevant in this equation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads