• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most boring class you ever took in college

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Just got around to thinking about this as I'm studying for a Discrete Mathematics test tomorrow. For those of you who don't know what this class is about, it's basically a semester long logic class explaining 50000 different ways about how to prove whether A or B is true. I know all this **** will flush out my head once the semester is over, it's so ******* dull and pointless. I'm only a couple months in half way through, but I'm pretty sure this qualifies for the most boring class I've taken in my three years at university so far.

How about you guys? Got something to top this inane crap?

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
I remember having to do a subject on differential equations as part of my mining eng degree. I failed it but it was paired with a subject on statistics which I killed so I passed overall :p

10 years later and I still haven't used it.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
See, this is why I really hate university sometimes... so many of these "foundation" classes are useless and a waste of memory and brain power. They should be there for people who are going to use it, like people actually majoring in mathematics. Why the hell do I need to know about all the rules of existential universal statements or how to prove A or B valid ten different ways, or ridiculously long and frustrating differential equations that are too cryptic to be of any use in a normal career setting?

IMO there's just not enough "real" classes in college. I'd much rather learn about how mortgages work, how to build a computer, how to build a house or fix plumbing, etc. on the side of what I'm doing in computer science.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I remember studying chemistry and optics, of all things.

I found it was only the first 2 years that were based on core subjects. Some yeah, I have never used since, but others were fundamental and gave a good appreciation of the other strands of engineering.

The last 2 years concentrated only on mining related subjects, which was great and I have used all of them since. Actually, one of those subjects determined the direction of my career when I think about it.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Yeah definitely agree with you. It's like they need to come up with a committee to discuss and reorganize what classes are useless in college for particular majors and which ones to keep. Like Statistics, for example, is useful. Calculus 1 was pretty useful too. Learned what a derivative was, used it in my business classes a lot, especially Financial Accounting which I still remember a lot from.

Micro and macro economics were kind of useless. Funny too, because the economics department head sent me two emails pleading me to join the economics program since my grade was top of the class out of ~250 students. I of course ignored it, and if you asked me for help in that class now, only a year and a half after taking it, I couldn't tell you jack **** about either of them. They are required classes for Information Systems too... sigh, what a waste of time and money.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
I think (in my industry anyway) that the universities should allow industry to design the bachelor degrees. Get real engineers and site based people an opportunity to have a say, rather than a bunch of academics who wear cardigans and jackets with elbow patches determine the program.

I recall some collegues who went to different universities had to study social science subjects so they could develope a sense of social justice and responsibility.

To me thats just a form of brain washing from the generally left wing intelligentsia at our universities, not to mention a waste of money by studying something which has zero benefit career wise.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
They have something like that at my university. They had some sort of acronym for it, but basically every student of every major, even if you're going into something like electrical engineering, had to take a history class about a minority culture. Reason being to create cultural awareness and social responsibility. FFS. I did not and will not ever care about what I learned from... what did I take again? ****. oh yeah, world regional geography. Yep.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish I had taken a differential equations course, it would have made my most boring class much easier. That was "The Chemical Bond: Computation and Spectroscopy" it could have been so much better if...

1) The prof didn't repeat everything 10 times.
2) The prof actually TAUGHT us concepts, instead of saying "and you can figure this out on your own at home" whenever we got to a core point... which was true, but usually took 2-3 hours to do, and it happened every class. I haven't got that kind of time when I'm taking 4 other chemistry courses and labs.
3) If I had taken differential equations, which would have made quantum mechanics so much easier, and therefore made this course easier.

The thing is, the subject matter was quite interesting... but the entire class was unprepared (one student passed the midterm, and about a third of the class failed the entire course) for the course and with a brilliant yet boring prof... it just didn't work out too well. Canada doesn't have requirements to take bullshit courses, although all engineers at my school have a first year structured where they have to take a course from every engineering discipline in order to determine which one fits them best... which has lead to the formation of some interesting drinking games (every student has to take geology, probably 30 people out of 500 who take it actually want to do geology, so the rest of them get drunk in class, taking drinks every time they see a picture of a rock (which is a lot))

Plestor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
Just got around to thinking about this as I'm studying for a Discrete Mathematics test tomorrow. For those of you who don't know what this class is about, it's basically a semester long logic class explaining 50000 different ways about how to prove whether A or B is true. I know all this **** will flush out my head once the semester is over, it's so ******* dull and pointless. I'm only a couple months in half way through, but I'm pretty sure this qualifies for the most boring class I've taken in my three years at university so far.

How about you guys? Got something to top this inane crap?

The group theory, basic graph theory and combintorics stuff isn't too bad tho...

As for mine

a) Organic 1 ...
b) some crap stats course I need to do as part of my program despite already having done more advanced stats
ffffuuuu.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Physical Chemistry. oh man, I had ZERO idea what was going on in that class. I took Physical Biochemistry as well, similarly confused. I survived them though. Particle in a Box.
facepalm.gif
Also had an old testament class where the entire semester was just some 80 year old priest reading the bible to us. I spaced out a lot but luckily we had an open-bible final.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by office drone
Philosophy 120 - Moral Philosophy.
Here's all you need to know: there is no such thing as objective morality, morality doesn't exist independent of us. (Of course that's all up for debate, naturally). Not really the most interesting area of philosophy, but not the most boring, either. Statistics was the most boring class I took in university. I'm an English major, what do I need to know about Statistics for?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads