• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most boring class you ever took in college

Milpool

Reaction score
Intro to Sociology was the absolute worst. That was a complete and total waste of an elective with absolutely no redeeming value, and in fact, I would go so far as to say it made me more stupid as well as wasted my money on a class with no worth or value instead of a class that may have been interesting or eye opening or entertaining or intellectually rigorous.

My advisor claimed it would be easy and interesting. I slept most of the time after I realized that there was no science behind any of the crap being taught in that class.

I also got a really bad grade because I spent most of my exam time critiquing the papers we had to read for the exam. I wrote page after page about the poor statistical methodology, lack of controls, fundamental problems in the use of the scientific method, etc. It was the only way I could amuse myself.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I took an intermediate CS class taught by a Chinese prof who didn't speak a word of discernable English. Those 90 minutes, twice a week, did not exactly fly by.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say the most boring class for me was "Peaceful Conflict and Conflict Resolution"

I'm the type of guy who doesn't get bored easily... but man, this class truly tested my patience...

IT was the same thing on repeat...

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've actually taken a similar logic class (symbolic logic type ****) and it was insane. my experience wasn't as bad as yours, though. the teacher for that class was awesome and i ended up enjoying learning the formulas. i goofed off all semester though and had to kill the final to get a good grade. now i wouldnt know how to solve a single proof -- and i took that class in the spring semester.

the most boring class ive ever had was an anthropology class in my first semester of college. it was excruciating. it was called "people of the world" and i have no ******* idea why i took this class. the teacher was croatian or something like that and you couldn't understand a word she said. in addition to that she never actually discussed the material in class -- we just had marsupialed inclass discussions and she'd play ridiculous movies. i'd usually sign the attendance and dip out.

NOTHING more mind numbingly boring than taking a class like that. **** anthropology.

juvefan

Reaction score
aerial photography interpretation and remote sensing - made even more annoying because they never bothered in teach even basic physics

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took a course called "Social Foundations of Education" to fulfill some elective requirement. At the time I thought I was going to end up in academia, so I thought it might be a useful exercise for the teaching side of being a professor, even if it didn't relate to my major. I was wrong. Very, very wrong. Not only was the class excruciatingly boring, it was taught by a professor who fit the liberal brainwasher/ideologue stereotype to a T. To make matters worse, it was packed with future teachers who did nothing but piss and moan about the horrible treatment they were inevitably going to experience in their chosen career.

Originally Posted by CrazyJew
They have something like that at my university. They had some sort of acronym for it, but basically every student of every major, even if you're going into something like electrical engineering, had to take a history class about a minority culture. Reason being to create cultural awareness and social responsibility. FFS. I did not and will not ever care about what I learned from... what did I take again? ****. oh yeah, world regional geography. Yep.

You're the guy at USF, right? I remember that degree requirement. I actually think the course I mentioned above was the one I took to fulfill it, but I might be mistaken.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diff EQ was incredibly boring, but the most boring class I ever took in college had to be a Telecomm Technology course...being at 8am with 8 kids total in the class really sucked too.

On the other hand, the best class I ever took was public speaking. Fantastic professor who really drew you into the material and MADE you improve yourself.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got around to thinking about this as I'm studying for a Discrete Mathematics test tomorrow. For those of you who don't know what this class is about, it's basically a semester long logic class explaining 50000 different ways about how to prove whether A or B is true. I know all this **** will flush out my head once the semester is over, it's so ******* dull and pointless. I'm only a couple months in half way through, but I'm pretty sure this qualifies for the most boring class I've taken in my three years at university so far.

How about you guys? Got something to top this inane crap?

What exactly are you majoring in? Any math major and any CS major will, I would argue, need a discrete math class because it's so damn useful.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took a philosophy class on the concept of the number zero. yes, a seminar, 2 hours a week for 5 months, discussing zero. I took it because the hour it was tought fit my schedule, I hated it with a passion and didnt' understand anything.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partnership Taxation. I left every class confused. I eventually decided that the prof actually confused me more than taught me. So I just surfed the internet during class and I ended up with some sort of B. This was law school, btw. I had to study outside of class for just that one class for the same amount of time as the rest of my classes combined.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
See, this is why I really hate university sometimes... so many of these "foundation" classes are useless and a waste of memory and brain power. They should be there for people who are going to use it, like people actually majoring in mathematics. Why the hell do I need to know about all the rules of existential universal statements or how to prove A or B valid ten different ways, or ridiculously long and frustrating differential equations that are too cryptic to be of any use in a normal career setting?

IMO there's just not enough "real" classes in college. I'd much rather learn about how mortgages work, how to build a computer, how to build a house or fix plumbing, etc. on the side of what I'm doing in computer science.

If you're required to take discrete math, I'm assuming you're in some major where you will be programming?

If you haven't figured out how discrete and difEQ are useful, I think you will. Give it time.

If my initial assumption is wrong, and you won't be doing any programming, well then I suppose discrete won't be terribly useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads