Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Most baller house in your area...aerial or street view shots

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Hannerhan, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

It's OK. Not great in context. I'm not surprised everybody here hates it, since the tast in architecture in sf is awful. Nothing worse than liberals with bad taste.

agreed, his style is more suited to LA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

The SF federal building has all kinds of air flow and lighting problems. It's exactly what you'd expect from an architect promulgating his vision of the future.

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Near my family house/the house I grew up in rather than where I live most of the time now

[​IMG]

This house is very defensible. An important consideration if those damned Celts ever decide to invade again.

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

The SF federal building has all kinds of air flow and lighting problems. It's exactly what you'd expect from an architect promulgating his vision of the future.
    i've read that article before. the writing is atrocious and they take some stuff he said out of context. no idea as to whether the claims about the buildings shortcomings are true or not. i find the part about forcing random employees to climb steps by having the elevators stop only at third floors unlikely, but maybe i'm wrong.

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

6. StephenHero

I heard it also smells really bad inside because they put the trash closets in the halls and stair wells where there is no airflow.

7. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I heard it also smells really bad inside because they put the trash closets in the halls and stair wells where there is no airflow.
    this sounds more likely. architects often seem not to consider those that actually will have to inhabit their structures. i take it you're not a Mayne fan? i figured you'd be into his constant criticism of LEED rating. i guess you could be and still dislike his buildings.

8. StephenHero

Sometimes architects fetishize their novel ideas to the point where they lose the critical integrity needed to know when to scrap them. That building is a good example. Another is Zaha Hadid's Vitra fire station, which couldn't even fit the necessary fire trucks and had to be turned into a museum.

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

but the criticism of them is often twisted and exaggerated, just as the personalities and actions of fine artists often are. for example,

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

Sometimes architects fetishize their novel ideas to the point where they lose the critical integrity needed to know when to scrap them.

That coupled with having young, inexperienced, sometimes sycophantic staff; incompetent consultants; and incapable owner reps.

11. StephenHero

but the criticism of them is often twisted and exaggerated, just as the personalities and actions of fine artists often are. for example,

I'm wondering where that came from. I've heard from numerous lectures and textbooks about the practical inadequacy of the design.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I'm wondering where that came from. I've heard from numerous lectures and textbooks about the practical inadequacy of the design.

first site that came up when i googled it, and it fit the point i wanted to make [​IMG]

where is it referenced the way you describe? would be interested to read texts on that subject with examples.

14. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

wow, the most baller private home in my area is comparatively peasant status.
    http://homesoftherich.net/2009/05/on...rlotte-nc.html [​IMG] [​IMG] the Duke Mansion is in my zip code, but is a bed & breakfast. http://www.zillow.com/homes/400-Herm...rlotte,-nc_rb/ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member