• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most annoying people at the gym...

turbozed

Reaction score
So I'm doing my squats in the power rack and I look around to put another 45 lbs plate on the bar and notice that they're all gone. I look over to the squat rack and notice the 45s are all gone there too. They're all gone. This is a commercial gym btw so there's usually a bunch of 45s everywhere on weight racks.

Usually when the 45s disappear the reason is that some guy decided to do 3" ROM leg presses. That was not the case today however.

I look over to the Smith Machine and see 4 people in it. The bar is loaded with 14 of the 45 lb plates. There is a bench in the Smith Machine. On the bench is a man attempting to bench the bar with the 14 plates. There were three other guys in the machine, two on the ends of the bar and one hovering above the bencher holding on to the bar. I'm thinking "cool, we got a powerlifter in our midst. those other guys must be spotters. wonder why they're using the Smith Machine though."

To my utter shock and dismay, i realize that the spotters are teenagers (fairly large ones though) and that they are not spotters at all but participants in this strange cooperative benchpress. While the dude on the bench was pushing and grunting with all his might, the two on the ends were lifting the ends of the bar, their hands cupped and apparent agony on their faces. The guy hovering above the bencher was also bent over pulling up with all of his might too and looked like he was doing his 1RM high pull. All four dudes were lifting with all of their might. It was a serious WTF moment.

Is there any reason why anybody would want to do something like this?

Becks23

Reaction score
^^^ that would be messy if *********** up

I have a similar story...

Old 40-50 year old guy loaded up the leg press... 14 plates/side. Was doing pretty much what you described like 2inches ROM... but he got stuck. I was watching from about 8 feet away. He was trying to push his knees down to lock out... I just laughed and continued my exercises as people rushed over to help him. Worse thing... he left all the plates there and I asked who the hell was going to re-rack the weights???

LexSenthur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessetk313
The dudes that walk around with their **** swinging while wearing the towel on their shoulder. I'll just never understand it.

"Heeeeeey, *I* have one of those too!"

What's the worst that could happen saying this, true love?

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I hope you yelled, "It's all you!"

lefty

laugh.gif
worship.gif

Has the "well, since I'm going to the gym and going to get sweaty anyway so I don't need to shower" guy been mentioned? There's always one of these in the weight room and as they walk, they leave a trail of odor so foul I actually retch.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Dude, using chalk is way worse than gloves unless you're lifting some ******* serious weight. What are you moving that you use chalk for?
...You aren't that bright, are you? I pull 500+ deadlifts on a regular basis and if I didn't have chalk the bar would slip out of my hands due to sweat, not to mention I would instantly have every one of my callouses ripped off my hands in a quite painful manner. There is no negative to chalk aside from maybe a little mess on your hands; plus gloves keep your grip nice and weak.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
...You aren't that bright, are you? I pull 500+ deadlifts on a regular basis and if I didn't have chalk the bar would slip out of my hands due to sweat, not to mention I would instantly have every one of my callouses ripped off my hands in a quite painful manner. There is no negative to chalk aside from maybe a little mess on your hands; plus gloves keep your grip nice and weak.

Also, if you are in a commerical gym, they will frown upon you. I'm a chalk ninja at my gym (24 hr fitness). I keep it in a secret pocket in my jacket.

One time I left the pocket open and went to grab my jacket. The chalk went flying everywhere. This was unfortunate but the dust cloud helped me make a quick ninja escape.

Kris

Reaction score
Maybe this have been said, but.... "sickers."

I hate it when people come to the gym and work out when they are sick. Sneezing and coughing everywhere.

They are worse than stinkers.

Becks23

Reaction score
+1 But I haven't found that chalk helps against callouses ripping cause they rip anyways?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new one. There is one guy at the gym who absolutely stinks. He would make a used jock blush with shame. The kicker - he wears a Kobe Bryant jersey every day (he's a french guy). Clearly, he doesn't shower or he puts all kinds of smelly greasy *********** hair.

He also hogs machines - just sits on them while he shoots the **** with other, less smelly people. If you have the bad fortune to get on the machine after him, you are enveloped in an almost visible cloud of stink.

I feel like writing Kobe a letter - he probably speaks french, maybe he can help.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

You aren't that bright, are you?

Posted by Eason in the same ******* post: unless you're lifting some ******* serious weight. What are you moving that you use chalk for?
I know Stazy isn't DLing 500 lbs.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
You aren't that bright, are you?

I know Stazy isn't DLing 500 lbs.

So he doesn't get callouses and he isn't allowed to use chalk for grip if he doesn't deadlift 500 or more, lol?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
on a side note, they opened a westside barbell offshoot 4 blcoks from my house. i am joining tonight. a nice break from my usual gym.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
on a side note, they opened a westside barbell offshoot 4 blcoks from my house. i am joining tonight. a nice break from my usual gym.

Does this mean you're going to get fat and start wearing Dad jeans?

lefty

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i hope not. hope to look more like dave tate 2009 and not dave tate 2007

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads