1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most Admired Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RIDER, Dec 17, 2004.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Working on a little project and could use some input. Of all the shoes (specific styles) that we throw around here, what would be the top 3 you would most want to have in your closet, with no regard to price? Not just brands, but specific shoes, including color. What's on your wish list?

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

- Dark brown cap-toe
    - Dark brown medallion along the lines of C&J Weymouth
    - Chestnut cap-toe

and since three is far too low of a limit:

- Black cap-toe
    - Burgundy cap-toe
    - Dark brown monkstrap
    - Suede brogue

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just three? Not fair, not fair at all. Here are three of my favorites, all of which I already own: Split-toe blucher chasse with handsewn apron and toe seam (a la EG's Dover) in an antique tan or cognac. Cap-toe Adelaide (U-throat) bal with perforations along the edges of the toe cap, the U throat, and the heel counter in an antique tan or cognac. Plain-toe ankle boot with five or six eyelets and a floating medallion on the toe in an antique dark brown. Here are three that I don't own but would like to: Split-toe monk-strap chasse with handsewn apron and toe seam (a la EG's Ashley) in an antique tan or cognac. Moc-toe side-elastic shoe with leather strips covering the gore in an antique dark brown. A high-lace (7 or 8 eyelets) cap-toe balmoral boot in cognac suede. (And a green shell cordovan cap-toe bal... [​IMG] )

4. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I guess we're not doing specific brands, lasts, colors (antique schemes), etc...

My top three:
    1) A double monk in dark oak with a double sole.
    2) A wholecut with medallion toe in antique cognac
    3) A Jodphur boot or 2-eyelet chukka (brown shell cordovan on the chukkas or antique pine calfskin on the jodphur).

Option #4:
    I'd go for something more practical.  The John Lobb Jermyn II from the 2001 Classics collection with a bevelled sole.  Unfortunately out of the four shoes I listed, I only own #1 & #3.

EDIT: RIDER, for the last choice, I would really go for the signature JM Weston penny loafer in cordovan-colored shell cordovan or medium brown croc.

6. jcusey

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I would have to say my black EG Berkeleys are probably my most admired shoes, I would imagine most people here will not admire a black shoe as much but I just like them. [​IMG]

8. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Weymouth, sorry.

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

At the moment: 1) a plain toe 2 or 3 eyelet "v-front" derby on a slim, elegant last but with a double or triple sole and beveled waist,  regular welted, in oxblood or dark brown (have this on order from Vass) http://aharris.calinet.com/Vassulastderbynmonk.jpg (in middle) http://www.santonishoesusa.com/images...._lg.jpg 2) a 3-eyelet chukka boot, also on a slim elegant last, double or triple sole, regular welted, dark brown (have these) http://aharris.calinet.com/Vassulastchukka.jpg 3) a 3 or 4 eyelet whole-cut  on a fairly slim last, double sole, Bentivegna stitching, a la Santoni or Berluti, in dark antiqued brown (still searching for these)   http://aharris.calinet.com/Santoniwholecut4.jpg http://crystal.cside21.com/shoe_photo/b_arn_01.JPG Others: Vass Budapest in cognac pebble grain - regular welted that Il Riccio saddle shoe except perhaps in a different color combo a side-fastening monk like the Edward Green Stowe http://aharris.calinet.com/Stowe.jpg EG Dover in dark oak antique on the 606 last A Norwegian with a short apron like these http://www.sutormantellassi.com/nuov...gini/02big.jpg though I like the Santoni Bentivegna version better. These shoes look best when they are chunky, though not as heavy as the JM Weston hunt shoe. a high-lacing plain-toe derby boot in dark brown or cognac suede on a slim, elegant last http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...t/DSC03976.jpg (the ones in the middle) and definitely a plain and elegant dark brown cap toe. That's what springs to mind right now.

10. jcusey

Go ahead, A Harris, just twist the knife. [​IMG]

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

well, before I read this thread I would have said:

russian calf half brogues
    split toe bluchers by alden in cordovan
    saddle oxfords by Alden
    Vass chuka boots in cordovan
    now, rider's italian saddle oxfords are up there on the list, I have to say.

12. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

13. leroy

leroy Active Member

I love my Prada Plain Toe Oxford with nice naked leather that really showed its quality.

Second would be another Prada two lace eyelet square apron toe.

14. Roy

Roy Senior member

The Berluti Club Olga 2 [​IMG] Either exactly like shown shown above or in the following colour: [​IMG] I haven seen beautiful Plain Oxfords from Santoni. But I can't find a picture of them on the internet. Very sleek, very stylish. In black of course. And I would like a pair of black ankle boots by Santoni.

15. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would look at some of the "after" pictures on the Japanese shoe websites to see how that Venezia leather ages... It can get a bit wrinkly even if treed. For less money I would call in a special order to Edward Green, who can do you a shoe that fits exactly (as opposed to Berluti's one-width per shoe design), can be customized with last and detailing to resemble Berlutis closely, and only improves with age.

16. Roy

Roy Senior member

(Roy @ 17 Dec. 2004, 08:08) The Berluti Club Olga 2 [​IMG] Either exactly like shown shown above or in the following colour: [​IMG] I haven seen beautiful Plain Oxfords from Santoni. But I can't find a picture of them on the internet. Very sleek, very stylish. In black of course. And I would like a pair of black ankle boots by Santoni.
    I would look at some of the "after" pictures on the Japanese shoe websites to see how that Venezia leather ages... It can get a bit wrinkly even if treed. Â For less money I would call in a special order to Edward Green, who can do you a shoe that fits exactly (as opposed to Berluti's one-width per shoe design), can be customized with last and detailing to resemble Berlutis closely, and only improves with age.
    The Club Olga 2 only is sold as a bespoke shoe. It is not possible to pick it up in a store. But I think shoes like these indeed don't age very well. I have seen similar shoes by Santoni, but they seemed a bit 'wrinkly' while still in the store.

17. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Ouch... mentioning Prada and leather quality in the same sentence w/o a negative modifier should cause some controversy here [​IMG]

18. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I agree on the dark oak Dover on the 606 and get good use out of mine. [​IMG] I'm also partial to the Weston demi-chasse in dark brown: [​IMG] Third is probably a monk of some kind and am leaning towards the EG Westminster but haven't pulled the trigger yet...

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

My favorite shoes are the Alden Fan shoes from Alden of Carmel (www.Alden-of-Carmel ) as follows: 1-Whiskey and mahogany shell cordovan saddle blucher 2-Square toe six eyelet blucher oxford in black shell cordovan 3-Norwegian six eyelet front square toe blucher oxford

20. ROT

ROT Senior member

I love the look of the Weymouth in an antiqued cognac. A classic black cap toe. A pair of loafers, probably a penny, brown or cordovan. It's difficult to pick the perfect three as I start to think of "the most versatile" shoes. I get a lot of use from my plain toe, scotch grain, cognac, Vibram-soled, 6 eyelet Ferragamos. And I think everyone should own a pair of brown suede shoes. Mine are Church's wingtips (bought well before I ran across TSF) [​IMG] For sheer beauty, see Mr. Harris' post.