1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most Abused Words

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dexterhaven, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

legit
    +1 I hate that fucking word.

3. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Senior member

"wow, just wow"

Not only is this saying hackneyed, but if you really meant just wow, you would only say wow!

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

5. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

Myriad.

If I see another fucking news article with that in it . . . myriad thoughts of violence creep into my head. Reporters trying to prove they went to college.

6. Zachgranstrom

Zachgranstrom Senior member

7. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Ya know...[​IMG]

You know what I mean?

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I would love to see a paragraph put together using every word/phrase someone has posted.

9. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

I would love to see a paragraph put together using every word/phrase someone has posted.

When it gets to five pages, let's have a contest. First prize = pink tie (I am sure someone will donate it and the winner just has to pay for shipping).

10. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I saw "pre-Madonna" the other day. Took me a while to figure out what the person was talking about, but it made me laugh.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

12. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

FML, I like literally just went to the worst club last night. The myriad people were totally unbalanced. I mean if you even moved wrong they would be cheese and try to fuck. I was walking to the bar and saw a guy dancing with a pinecorn, it was so random. Wow, just wow. The music was so money though, I legit could have danced all night but decided not to. Some other people started to dipset around the same time as me, I was like "that's so ironic". Ya know, you just can't find a good club anymore. I should of just stuck with the Classy Cat Club since it's like obviously the most legit club around here. I love it, but whatever, I'm fixin to find one more epic than that. Irregardless, you should just come club scoutin' with me one night. I mean we could find one that is totally awesome, you know what I mean?

1 person likes this.
  13. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

"Should of" instead of "should have." Drives me crazy every time I see it.......

Are you sure they're not just saying the conjunction "should've"? Although it could be a malapropism of the conjunction.

It happens alot with commonly used, non-informational phrases that people just slur past. See "for all intensive purposes".

Anymore, used incorrectly, always gets my goat.

"Don't you hate how everything moves so fast anymore?"

WHAT THE FUCK.

Gaaah! That one drives me up the wall! Although often my first reaction when I hear that is self-doubt, like I misheard an earlier part of the sentence that would make the "anymore" part make sense in context.

14. SpooPoker

FML, I like literally just went to the worst club last night. The myriad people were totally unbalanced. I mean if you even moved wrong they would be cheese and try to fuck. I was walking to the bar and saw a guy dancing with a pinecorn, it was so random. Wow, just wow. The music was so money though, I legit could have danced all night but decided not to. Some other people started to dipset around the same time as me, I was like "that's so ironic". Ya know, you just can't find a good club anymore. I should of just stuck with the Classy Cat Club since it's like obviously the most legit club around here. I love it, but whatever, I'm fixin to find one more epic than that. Irregardless, you should just come club scoutin' with me one night. I mean we could find one that is totally awesome, you know what I mean?

[​IMG]

15. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

Listen to George Carlin's routines on Euphemisms and Advertising. Required listening for writers and editors, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll add the word "war" to this list, especially in a sports context. The NY Post is the absolute worst with this. It'll run this headline -- "It's war!" -- about a Yankees-Red Sox game in the same section in which there are stories about actual wars. Zero perspective.

16. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Thanks to The Wire, I get annoyed when someone says that "people were evacuated." Relatedly, it's not correct to say that someone was "impacted" by something, unless you mean they were "backed up."

17. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

18. binge

binge Senior member

"Should of" instead of "should have." Drives me crazy every time I see it.......

Here's a clue, the 'h' is slient.

19. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

Poast of the year.

20. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Senior member

Here's a clue, the 'h' is slient.
    Except when they type it as should of instead of should have, then the H isn't so silent because it does not exist. DUCY?