• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Abused Words

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one that bugs me is the misuse of "decimated" for "devastated." For example I was recently reading an account of a flood that went something like this: "For miles downstream, the banks of the river were decimated."

The confusion of "flout" and "flaunt" is another one that is very common and annoying.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At work they keep using the word "remediate" - basically for fixing crap that's broken but it sounds better if your project is about "remediation".

Another one my boss likes because it happens to be the only sophisticated word she knows, and thus uses it until there is no effect anymore is asinine.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jury, as in, "Lemme try on that jury."

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My boss says "phenomenal" at least 20 times a day. It's absurd to think someone whose job is so heavily involved with writing could get stuck getting so repetitive.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saul Silver
Peruse.
Funny, I thought nobody used that word. The only place I can think where people use it is at the end of cover letters, where they say "My resume is attached for your perusal", apart from that..

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
like and ****

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
You forgot Piss, cooltrucker, Motherfucker, and ****.

This isn't a contest.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "popular" clique in high school used to say "Speaking of the devil" instead of "Speak of the Devil" I remember that vividly because when corrected they tried to tell me that I was wrong.
Also, コーヒーになります。

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omg, another vote for "basically", this one kid in my class starts every descriptive sentence with "It's basically.." before going off on a tangent that is often more complicated and convoluted then that which they're trying to explain.
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads