• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moscato d'Asti

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've recently started really getting into this stuff. It's quite tasty, light, and refreshing. Perhaps it would be better in the summer but since I live in SoCal, it's always summer
smile.gif
It's a white sparkling wine from italy that is sweet and has nice natural fruit flavors. Anyone else like this?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order it whenever it's on the menu. I can't get enough. I loved the time I spent in Italy where it's <e15 a bottle. Here it's like $8+ per glass.

I also like Vin Santo.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too sweet for me. I can only do sweet wines in small quantities, half a glass, with a dish it compliments. Not to change the subject, but if I'm going to drink something with some sweetness, it will be hard cider from Normandy (brut, not doux, of course).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fabienne, you probably need to find one of the lighter moscatos, such as Nivole, I rather like that one. It's remarkably inexpensive as well.

jekv12

Reaction score
Great for brunches, and because most are lower in alcohol than a "regular" wine (8% vs 12% and more) you can actually do something the rest of the day.

Zubberah

Reaction score
The perfect tipple for breakfast with fruit salad. Only 4-5% too which helps. The Aussies are getting into this style big time.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif
Or for a romantic picnic - ladies love this stuff.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perfect tipple for breakfast with fruit salad. Only 4-5% too which helps. The Aussies are getting into this style big time.
biggrin.gif
Â
cool.gif
Â
wink.gif
Or for a romantic picnic - ladies love this stuff.
Obviously not all ladies.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy moscato in small quantities, usually as an apertif, or perhaps with dessert. I had some (a slightly spritzy Italian one) a few months ago that went very well with a green tomato sherbet dinner course.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy moscato in small quantities, usually as an apertif, or perhaps with dessert.  I had some (a slightly spritzy Italian one) a few months ago that went very well with a green tomato sherbet dinner course.
Did your sorbet have basil or thyme in it?  Friends of ours didn't warn us, thinking it would be "fun" to have us guess.  It came to us red, glistening, appetizing, really, and I thought it was a version of trou normand.  I nearly gagged.  It was a red sweet tomato sorbet with thyme.  I'm open, but that one threw me. No amount of Moscato could have rescued me.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne,
I don't think it had those herbs from what I recall. My wife made it though, so I don't exactly know. It wasn't tart or sweet particularly, but it was tangy and a bit saline, and was generally refreshing.

arenn1

Reaction score
Moscato d'Asti is a nice, inexpensive aperitif or dessert wine. A friend of mine once described the Saracco as "ginger ale for adults".

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne, do you like Sauternes or Barsac?
It wouldn't be fair for me to answer that question, since I don't really like white wines and among white wines, especially not the sweet ones. Strangely, I can appreciate a Gewürtztraminer.
dontgetit.gif
I will always go towards heavy red wines, heavy on the tannins and astringent.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, to that end, do you prefer Rhones (or Cali Cabs/Aussie Shiraz) to right bank (or some left bank) Bordeaux?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads