Moscato d'Asti

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Jan 21, 2005.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I've recently started really getting into this stuff. It's quite tasty, light, and refreshing. Perhaps it would be better in the summer but since I live in SoCal, it's always summer [​IMG] It's a white sparkling wine from italy that is sweet and has nice natural fruit flavors. Anyone else like this?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like Moscatos. There are some pretty decent California Moscato based desert wines too. Some of them are a little cloying though.

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I order it whenever it's on the menu. I can't get enough. I loved the time I spent in Italy where it's <e15 a bottle. Here it's like $8+ per glass.

I also like Vin Santo.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Too sweet for me. I can only do sweet wines in small quantities, half a glass, with a dish it compliments. Not to change the subject, but if I'm going to drink something with some sweetness, it will be hard cider from Normandy (brut, not doux, of course).

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Fabienne, you probably need to find one of the lighter moscatos, such as Nivole, I rather like that one. It's remarkably inexpensive as well.

6. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

Great for brunches, and because most are lower in alcohol than a "regular" wine (8% vs 12% and more) you can actually do something the rest of the day.

7. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

The perfect tipple for breakfast with fruit salad. Only 4-5% too which helps. The Aussies are getting into this style big time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Or for a romantic picnic - ladies love this stuff.

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Obviously not all ladies.

9. kabert

kabert Senior member

I enjoy moscato in small quantities, usually as an apertif, or perhaps with dessert. I had some (a slightly spritzy Italian one) a few months ago that went very well with a green tomato sherbet dinner course.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Did your sorbet have basil or thyme in it?  Friends of ours didn't warn us, thinking it would be "fun" to have us guess.  It came to us red, glistening, appetizing, really, and I thought it was a version of trou normand.  I nearly gagged.  It was a red sweet tomato sorbet with thyme.  I'm open, but that one threw me. No amount of Moscato could have rescued me.

11. kabert

kabert Senior member

Fabienne,
    I don't think it had those herbs from what I recall. My wife made it though, so I don't exactly know. It wasn't tart or sweet particularly, but it was tangy and a bit saline, and was generally refreshing.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Fabienne, do you like Sauternes or Barsac?

13. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Moscato d'Asti is a nice, inexpensive aperitif or dessert wine. A friend of mine once described the Saracco as "ginger ale for adults".

14. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

It wouldn't be fair for me to answer that question, since I don't really like white wines and among white wines, especially not the sweet ones. Strangely, I can appreciate a Gewürtztraminer. [​IMG] I will always go towards heavy red wines, heavy on the tannins and astringent.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

So, to that end, do you prefer Rhones (or Cali Cabs/Aussie Shiraz) to right bank (or some left bank) Bordeaux?