• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mortgage question

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently despite the current credit situation banks are still offering very attractive mortgages to medical residents. Would anyone care to speculate on what the borrowing limits might be for a married couple with a combined income of $100,000? Thanks for your input.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Apparently despite the current credit situation banks are still offering very attractive mortgages to medical residents. Would anyone care to speculate on what the borrowing limits might be for a married couple with a combined income of $100,000? Thanks for your input.

You can pretty much figure that your total combined monthly payments should not exceed 36% of your gross income. As some sanity seems to have returned to underwriting, you should probably figure this will once again be the standard. Also, money down, to increase your LTV (loan to value) ratio, will help.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, docs always have an easy time because of potential future earnings. what kind of down payment do you have?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
used to be 4:1 in many cases. 100k earner, 400k house was the norm. i dunno now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
used to be 4:1 in many cases. 100k earner, 400k house was the norm. i dunno now.

Underwriters are much more concerned about the total payments/debt burden to income ratio, to my knowledge. I mean, if you have 200k to put down, and make 100k, that obviously adds to how expensive a house you can afford, and positively affects the LTV ratio.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
understood, just seems to be the rough ratio from people I knew who've bought imn the last 4-6 years.

make 200, buy 6-800k worth of house, etc.

oceans11

Reaction score
I underwrote mortgage loans for years prior to underwriting group medical insurance & if you want to determine what an u/w will look at as far as up front affordability qualifications it will be front end debt ratio (house, haz ins, HOA dues, MI, taxes) then the backend debt ratio's that include all your secured & unsecured debt, student loans etc etc. This will be based off your gross income. From what I remember (it's been over 2yrs now) FNMA/FHLMC use 36-38% front & 41%- 42% back end.

You may be able to afford the home itself with a good front end ratio (housing payment only) but what screws a lot of recent college grads are those hefty student loans even though a lot are deferred & some are based off 1% of the balance.

If you're a FTB (1st time buyer) your LO may suggest going FHA due to the lower down requirements & higher debt ratio allowances.

Hope this helps.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what kind of down payment do you have?
Zero. All of the information I've found with regard to these medical residents emphasizes the availability of no money down borrowing. But, my parents may surprise us with a rather large graduation gift, so this could change.

Regards, HS.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From experience, I would figure the cost of owning a home differently than simply looking at the percentage of my income going toward a monthly payment. Figure in maintenance, renovations, and furnishings. What I am suggesting is, if you buy "as much house as you can," you may not be able to afford to do much with it.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
...36-38% front & 41%- 42% back end...
These are pretty standard numbers today. No more than 36% of your monthly gross income for your total house payment (PITI); and no more than 42% (I've seem recent approvals at 45, 46%) of income to total monthly debt service. The underwriters will approve you for whichever ratio results in the lowest mortgage amount.

As a newly-graduated resident you'll be taken by the hand at and led straight into your new "private banker" who will unveil the whole gamut of cool financing tools available to you. They'll likely not require you to make any down payment. You'll get the red carpet treatment. Wells Fargo is particularly good at this.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
From experience, I would figure the cost of owning a home differently than simply looking at the percentage of my income going toward a monthly payment. Figure in maintenance, renovations, and furnishings. What I am suggesting is, if you buy "as much house as you can," you may not be able to afford to do much with it.

Absolutley! Very good point! It's like my dad used to say before buying a car when I was younger.

He would say, "Okay sure you can afford the payment but what about Insurance, Gas, Registration, upkeep?"

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
Absolutley! Very good point! It's like my dad used to say before buying a car when I was younger.

He would say, "Okay sure you can afford the payment but what about Insurance, Gas, Registration, upkeep?"

I have a friend in his intern year, and it sounds like he has zero time to do home maintenance. So even basic things, you might need to hire someone to take care of. Worth keeping in mind.

oceans11

Reaction score
IMO, docs always have an easy time because of potential future earnings. what kind of down payment do you have?

Just an FYI: U/W rarely (I won't say never) look at anything "future" potential related when it comes to income in fact we're more likely to see the probabilities of your income either stagnating or decreasing.

Unfortunately most of the "professionals" that came across my desk when I underwrote their loan requests had terrible credit. Doctors & Lawyers were among the worst. Why? Mainly due to establishing their practice & having a lot of "outgo" but not a lot of income at first. And of once again those huge student loan payments. Debt ratio's even for those with mid 6 figure incomes were poor to say the least & credit scores were routinely in the low 600's.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wait. Housing is going to go down some more.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yes. my latext tax/property assesment says in 10/11, my house will be wiorth less than i paid.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads