• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Morning workout - dressed for work

c55

Reaction score
I've always worked out in the morning - get up at 6:00 and get to the gym for about an hour. I've had a home office for the last four years and haven't had a problem getting home and showering and getting dressed.

Now I am working in another office where I will have to shower and get ready for work at the gym.

Any tips on dressing, clothes in gym bag, etc? I don't want to look like a slob on the three days I workout.

Thanks.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the lockers large enough to hang your work clothes in? Do you have a permanent, private locker?

terminat

Reaction score
Yeh, I've found that there's nothing worse than having a good workout and then finding your expensive charcoal suit's become wrinkled.

However, its rarely been a problem - generally, I just fold up the trousers and shirt (they tend to crease significantly less than the jacket I've discovered.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the lockers large enough to hang your work clothes in? Do you have a permanent, private locker?
The main point I would say about the locker is whether it has a hangar or not - if it does, you can just hang your jacket and (if you have one) your coat up. Otherwise, its going to be considerably more difficult to preserve your suit in perfect condition.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd also be prepared to allow yourself a little extra time. When I used to go directly from the gym to work in the morning, I used to find that if I didn't allow myself enough time to be a bit leisurely about getting shaved, dressed, etc., it was hard to leave the gym feeling totally clean and dry. This is especially so in gyms that are a bit cramped for locker room space or particularly crowded at the time you tend to visit.

c55

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, but I do not have a permanent locker. Today was the firsrt run, worked out alright, but I think I need a larger gym bag.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I workout almost everyday before work. I leave my dress shoes in my office and change into them once I get to work. I also keep a pair of slacks and a fresh shirt in the office, for emergencies.

I show up to the gym, ready to workout, and carry a folded shirt, slacks, underwear, etc., in my gym bag. I also bring a towel. I keep my toiletry kit in my locker at the gym.

After I'm done workingout, changed, and in my office, I hide my towel in an inconspicuous place so it has time to dry, so that I can use it the following day. Sweaty clothes stay in my bag - I don't want them stinking up my office.

I recommend you stretch for a while after your workout. It gives your body time to cool down, so you're not still sweating when you're getting dressed. Use foot-powder to stave off athlete's foot.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I second whoever said a bit of cool-down time at the end of a workout is important. I used to do bikram (hot) yoga before classes. After class, I would shower and get changed only to discover that I would keep sweating for about 10 minutes after my shower. My body needed a good 15 minutes after a class to stop sweating then I would take my shower after that.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I workout almost everyday before work. I leave my dress shoes in my office and change into them once I get to work. I also keep a pair of slacks and a fresh shirt in the office, for emergencies.

I show up to the gym, ready to workout, and carry a folded shirt, slacks, underwear, etc., in my gym bag. I also bring a towel. I keep my toiletry kit in my locker at the gym.

After I'm done workingout, changed, and in my office, I hide my towel in an inconspicuous place so it has time to dry, so that I can use it the following day. Sweaty clothes stay in my bag - I don't want them stinking up my office.

I recommend you stretch for a while after your workout. It gives your body time to cool down, so you're not still sweating when you're getting dressed. Use foot-powder to stave off athlete's foot.

Just curious: do you keep an assortment of dress shoes at your office, or are you particularly good at planning ahead? Or are you mono-shoematic?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep two pair of dress shoes in the office, and one pair of trees. Inevitably, I take a day or two off working out, so they get relief from other shoes from home. In any case, from time to time, I'll rotate them with other shoes from home, just to keep things interesting. I also keep a pair of sneakers for casual days (which are becoming more frequent, for me). Additionally, I keep a pair of running shoes here, and when I ride my bike to work, I keep cycling shoes.

Zeriman

Reaction score
I work out in the mornings and here are some tips--

It helps me to pack my gym bag and my suit in my car the night before. That way when I am walking to my car with my mp3 player, coffee, etc. I don't have to carry all this stuff. Plus I can make sure I have everything I need, like my dress shoes, while I am actually awake.

Get a large gym bag so you can fit all your stuff in it, like your dress shoes and everything. You can get great Ogio bags at bags.com for good deals.

At the gym I use two lockers. You just have to bring two padlocks. I put my suit and clothes for work in one and the gym bag in the other. That way my work clothes don't get wrinkled. I wouldn't do it if there are a shortage of lockers, but there are always empty lockers where I workout, so I don't think I'm taking anyone elses space.

Also things get alot easier if you have a good toiletry bag set up. Get a good toiletry bag and use travel sized plastic bottles from a beauty supply place. Just fill them as needed from your shampoo and body wash bottles at home. No need to pay extra for small travel size products or to carry these large bottles of shampoo around.

Another tip is to use these disposable facial cloths that you can get at the drug store. There are several brands, but I use the ones by Olay. After washing your face in the shower just put some bodywash on them and use as a washcloth. Works better than your hands at getting all that sweat off and you can throw it away when your done so there is no mess in your gym bag, like there would be with a scrubby or regular washcloth.

Also put all your sweaty workout clothes in an airtight plastic bag or your gym bag will develop a serious stench.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 274 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40