Morning wear in America: Harvard 1961 Commencement from LIFE Magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Dec 5, 2009.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

2. robin

robin Senior member

That's a good one. Nice find vox.

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I'm not one to look back too wistfully, but these pictures fill me with something like a true sense of loss. How did we fall so far so fast? It's one thing to see individuals. Does anyone imagine that we could assemble a group like this anywhere in the US anymore? I mean, the Austro-Hungarians might give it a run. But US? And it's not like 1961 was all that long ago.

4. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

The combination of tails and crutches looks particularly dashing. What it be gauche to carry a pair of vanity crutches?

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm not one to look back too wistfully, but these pictures fill me with something like a true sense of loss. How did we fall so far so fast? It's one thing to see individuals. Does anyone imagine that we could assemble a group like this anywhere in the US anymore? I mean, the Austro-Hungarians might give it a run. But US? And it's not like 1961 was all that long ago.

This is what happens when reel to reel tape recorders fall out of use and CDs began their reign.

The Japanese still seem to give formal daywear a run with the women in strange Victorian-esque gowns.

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

The guys still wear them naturally, don't you think? And I'm sure that many of them fought in WWII or even WWI.

The line of top hats hung up is particularly nice.

I mentioned in your gingham thread that we went to a white tie thing last winter where it definitely had a dying embers feel. I was by far the youngest guy there and I'm 47.

I agree that the passing of it is sad.

- B

7. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

Vox, what's with the peek-a-boo avatar?

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Vox, what's with the peek-a-boo avatar?

Hard to say. Could be Orgy Week nostalgia.

- B

9. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

A good number of people actually showed up in morning dress at this year's commencement. Though I think most faculty/staff nowadays stay in academic regalia throughout.

10. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

The guys still wear them naturally, don't you think? And I'm sure that many of them fought in WWII or even WWI.

I mentioned in your gingham thread that we went to a white tie thing last winter where it definitely had a dying embers feel. I was by far the youngest guy there and I'm 47.

- B

Yes, like a Busby Berkeley sequence the freakiness is all in how the many become one. I was struck by the hats too.

The passing of the age is sad in a strange way. I don't yearn to live in that world, but the present is a slight bit tawdry in comparison. It seems on par with the loss of biodiversity.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

- B

With all the decorum in this set of photos, I wonder why it was necessary for him to stand on a table. Someone at Harvard surely could have found him a proper podium, no?

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

- B

Vox - Thanks for the glimpse into a bygone era. I agree with all your points above. Having a fondness for history, it's very poignant. Look forward to seeing your next round of unearthed photos.

13. M. Charles

M. Charles Senior member

Thanks, Bill, Very nice. Sadly an Ivy League commencement no longer looks anything like this at all, at least the three I've been to.

14. intent

intent Senior member

Thanks, Bill, Very nice. Sadly an Ivy League commencement no longer looks anything like this at all, at least the three I've been to.
    It's because they started letting "others" in. I kid, I kid. But it does make you think. How many people can afford clothing like this nowadays?

15. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

It's because they started letting "others" in.

I kid, I kid.

But it does make you think. How many people can afford clothing like this nowadays?

Harvard Commencement! How many could afford it then?