Morning suit vs. Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the_sulks, Jan 13, 2016.

1. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

I'm thinking of choosing a suit for my wedding. Inititally I thought of a navy business suit but now I suppose a morning suit and tuxedo would be a better option, a dressier one, yet it can hardly be reusabale later as opposed to navy suit.

What are the pros and cons for the morning suit? What are the pros and cons for the tuxedo?

2. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

A morning suit is for day and a tuxedo is for evening. Personally, I think both are a bit much for a wedding. The classic rule for menswear is: all men in the room should be wearing the same type of clothing. For weddings, that includes the guests.

3. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Do you mean your prefer a business suit, not tux or morning dress?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Not unusual at all to get married in a morning suit in England, I am making one up right no for someone (who's English), my wife who's American just couldn't wrap her mind around it. Similarly I think Tuxedos aren't right for weddings, definitely cultural differences.

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Traditionally correct. Although as a practical matter, in the United States, circa 2015, morning suits are rarely seen, and tuxedos are often worn for daytime weddings.

Which is basically the rationale for including the dress code, on a wedding invitation. For example, specifying "Black Tie" makes it less likely that half the male wedding guests will show up in jeans.

6. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

Personally I went with a bespoke business suit (blue) with an unusual waistcoat (vest) grey.
    I used the term lounge wear on our wedding invite and all worked out well.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

Evening dress (tuxedo) is for evening functions NOT a wedding. You are probably better with a dark blue or charcoal suit although formal morning dress is by far preferable.

8. TWEEEEEDDDDD

TWEEEEEDDDDD Active Member

A tuxedo is appropriate for a day time wedding, assuming the reception begins in the evening. While tradition provides context that a morning suit is for the day, as long as the event begins in the evening you will be fine. I would focus more on the fit and details of the tuxedo itself, and ensuring the groomsman look appropriately aligned with your outfit and the venue. Congrats and good luck.

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

A Tuxedo, or dinner suit, is evening wear. Traditionally this is agreed to begin at 6pm and so a tuxedo at a daytime wedding would be inappropriate. A lounge suit or morning dress would be more appropriate. However, given that "formal wear" listed on an invitation is likely to get people to wear their GOOD jeans these days, the traditional rules are likely academic. Bon chance!

10. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

I prefer all of the gentleman to be wearing the same thing. It drives me crazy when the groom is in a morning suit, the groomsmen are in tuxes, and the guests are in business suits (or less). It may sound a bit snobbish, but I think weddings should be about the best of what you normally wear.

If I wore my tux, I would expect my guests to wear one as well. If I knew the majority of my guest list doesn't have a tux, I would wear a suit.

11. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

12. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

As per the previous post and the others on here, time and climate would traditionally dictate what formal wear should be worn but first and foremost, its your guys wedding and if you want to break with tradition then thats your choice and only really a consideration if you are wanting Tatler to cover it.

As to groom -v- groomsmen -v- guests outfits, the former two certainly should be similarly dressed. It would be nice to see all guests in morning suits but realistically the chances are low in most circles and I dont think the grooms group in monrning suits with the guests in lounge suits is an issue.

13. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Why a groom should care for what guests wear? I don't really care whether they wear tuxedos or jeans.

14. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Say they come in jeans while you wear a suit. I don't see a problem here. :)

15. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Let's say it to Americans. :)