Morning Suit for around £450 in London? SuitSupply? Secondhand?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rossyl, Oct 2, 2012.

1. rossyl

rossyl Senior member

Hi All

I'm getting married next year and will be wearing a morning suit,  I've had to scrap the Savile Row bespoke option and have hugely reduce the budget.

I'm hoping you can help.

I notice that SuitSupply have a a morning suit for £300! Is this likely to be worse quality than a decent rental. Are there any chance there shops anyone might recommend?

Or, get a second hand morning suit. .

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops selling second hand morning coats, or somewhere that does off the rack morning coats at reasonable prices.

I will then probably take it to Pinnas and Needles or Graham Browne for alterations.

Thanks all
    R

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. BespokenUK

BespokenUK Active Member

The quality of SuitSupply garments in the UK are first rate, as good as a higher end garments costing twice as much. I wouldnt have any reservations about getting the full outfit from them. They might even offer a made to measure option for this. For a good value higher end ready to wear, Ede and Ravenscroft do a good morning suit for around £400 for the coat (last time I checked but it was a long time ago). Might be about £500 nowadays. A top end Savile Row bespoke 3 piece morning suit would cost £6k!

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

the above comment is rather arbitrary

4. rossyl

rossyl Senior member

Thanks - given the "arbitrary" comment, does anyone have opinions based in experience?

Much appreciated
    R

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

You may look at Hackett, it is probably on par with suitsupply.
    There might be some vintage on ebay or your local second hand shop.

Frankly, you can't get a properly tailored Morning suit for less than 2500 pounds.

6. rossyl

rossyl Senior member

Not sure that you are basing that on. SuitSupply you can get a whole morning suit for £300, Hackett the morning coat alone costs £750. Which is what I would expect, I've never known the two to be in the same price bracket.

As for the £2.5k comment, it would be more relevant if I was spending £1.5k, I realize the limitations of my budget.

Any other thoughts?

7. loiclac

loiclac Senior member

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Go to old hat in putney they have a load of second hand morning suits.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

Ex-rental is one option, Marks and Spencers have offered this style in the recent past, not bespoke but reasonable for something which will probably be worn only once. Suit supply might be capable of alteration to fit, likely to be far from wonderful but will people really be looking that closely? Most eyes are usually on the bride.

10. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

The comparison is based on construction, I can't imagine neither does fully canvassed morning suit

11. BespokenUK

BespokenUK Active Member

Hackett morning coats are fused (floatring chest peice only). Ede and Ravenscroft is half canvas. The cloth on Hackett's is very coarse and feels cheap.

12. BespokenUK

BespokenUK Active Member

I would go with Suit Supply; £300 is fantastic value. The product is first rate, and could easily match anything else for double the price. All the ready to wear suits Ive seen are very nice in terms of style, cut, fabric and construction for the price point. There is an in-house alterations tailor in the front of the store sewing away, which is a big plus point.

13. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

The Suit Supply option sounds good, but here are some others.

Used:

- Old Hat (which, Ich D, is actually in Fulham, not Putney);

- Hornets of Kensington (mix of used and new, depending on which of their 3 little shops on and around Kensington Church St you go to);

- Lipmans near Leicester Square sells new, and rents, and sell ex-rentals. I strongly doubt the quality is anything special (and suspect it's rubbish), but they may be worth checking out.

New:

- Oliver Brown (just south of Sloane Square): full new RTW rig for about 800 (I have pottered around there once but can not speak to their quality/price ratio).

- I can't remember the name (is it Pal Zileri?), but there is a chain of Italian-named shops with branches in Knightsbridge, the City, and so on that I think regularly have RTW white tie and - I think - morning dress.

If you can find a decent used black coat and grey/buff vest that are in good condition and fit ok, it's worth considering a new MTM or cheap bespoke pair of striped trousers (as these can be harder to find in a presentable state). A combination like that served me well in my 20s, before I went bespoke.

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I can agree with a lot of the above and say that you should probably throw renting out of the window. You can't get things properly tailored and it will look terrible. There are a few high quality secondhand places in London, but it will be hit or miss as far as morning suits go. You could check out all of the OxFams and you might get lucky and find something decent at a fair price. Gumtree is another option. I think you'd be fine getting something from SuitSupply though, it will be a one off purchase and the quality is more than sufficient.

15. BespokenUK

BespokenUK Active Member

At Pal Zileri Ceromania, you will be looking at well over 1k for an outfit...I haven't checked their prices for a few years so Im guessing its near 1.5k.

Hiring a full outfit will probably cost half that of buying a new outfit from SuitSupply. Sorry I don't see the benefits of renting here. As well as the false economy of renting ( let alone quality), personally I do not wear anything second hand unless it was passed on from my father or a close relative I am sorry to say this ( I am prepared to get abuse for this comment) but that is just MY personal preference, and certainly not for my wedding where I would rather have something that is mine personally. As mentioned rentals also cant be tailored. There have been very little (if any) criticism of SuitSupply prooducts on Styleforum, only praise. Apologies if this sounds biased, but they are a fantastic budget buy,