• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning Smoothie Recipe

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my morning smoothie that I've had for breakfast for two years. It is only slightly more painful to make than a pot of french pressed coffee, and infinitely tastier and more nutritious.

I use a magic bullet blender to concoct this, btw, and highly recommend them.

All fruits are frozen:

1) 3-4 strawberries;
2) 3-4 pieces of pineapple chunks;
3) 3-4 pieces of mango chunks;
4) 3-4 banana chunks (about 1/2 to 3/4 of a banana);
5) spoonfull of peanut butter;
6) spoonfull of vanilla yogurt;
7) spoonfull of flax oil;
8) half a spoonfull of spirulina;
9) water (filled to within .5" of top of magic bullet cup)

You'll feel full until lunch, and it's a great way to start the morning. Also, kids love them too.

Kark

Reaction score
I make a big tupperware container (the kind oft used for cereals, i think it's 4litre) of mixed fruit salad every 6-7 days so it takes no time in the morning to make a smoothy.

Typical contents include;
a pineapple, diced
bag of green grapes,
1/2 pint of fresh berries, usually blackberrys or blueberries. but whatever is cheaper.
pint of strawberries when in season (not just local season, so available probably half the year)
a mango or two if they're on sale,
pomegranate when in season
and I add in frozen berries also to boost the dark fruit content as needed to fill the container.
It used to take a pile of time to do this each week, like ~45-60min, but I'm down to prep'ing the weeks breakfasts now in about 25min.

The fruit is mixed up in the container so I just have to dump a few cups worth into the blender add a few heaping spoonfuls of yoghurt and a splash of juice and bzzzt. big smoothy in 2min.

Been doing that for a half dozen years now and besides coffee it's all I have for breakfast. That gets me through to 10:30 from 6 - 6:30 where I have a muffin as my first 'carb' of the day, and I eat a couple small portions through the day. My energy levels are a lot more level now, than when I had "lunch" and conventional breakfasts.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
if i had to make a smoothie i would always make a peanut butter smoothie in a chocolate powder or some neutral tasting powder perhaps vanilla. add whole milk. sorry non fat is not for me. i would need to add about 4-5 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter though. it would be more of a decadent treat than an actual healthy meal replacement. but i rarely do this.

i had a peanut butter shake last night at a diner. oh **** it was good.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
you need to add some rum to that. much better thaddaway.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kark
I make a big tupperware container (the kind oft used for cereals, i think it's 4litre) of mixed fruit salad every 6-7 days so it takes no time in the morning to make a smoothy.

a pineapple, diced
bag of green grapes,
1/2 pint of fresh berries, usually blackberrys or blueberries. but whatever is cheaper.
pint of strawberries when in season (not just local season, so available probably half the year)
and I add in frozen berries also to boost the dark fruit content as needed to fill the container.
It used to take a pile of time to do this each week, like ~45-60min, but I'm down to prep'ing the weeks breakfasts now in about 25min.

The fruit is mixed up in the container so I just have to dump a few cups worth into the blender add a few heaping spoonfuls of yoghurt and a splash of juice and bzzzt. big smoothy in 2min.

Been doing that for a half dozen years now and besides coffee it's all I have for breakfast. That gets me through to 10:30 from 6 - 6:30 where I have a muffin as my first 'carb' of the day, and I eat a couple small portions through the day. My energy levels are a lot more level now, than when I had "lunch" and conventional breakfasts.

ummm. fruits are 'carbs'

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kark

a pineapple, diced
bag of green grapes,

If you're using a few cups of the above with added juice to make a smoothie then that muffin is not your first carb of the day. In fact there are more carbs in that smoothie than I probably eat total most days.

My Smoothie- handfuls of mixed greens, kale, whey protein with stevia and ice. Boom, salad eaten for the day plus 50G protein.

Kark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
If you're using a few cups of the above with added juice to make a smoothie then that muffin is not your first carb of the day. In fact there are more carbs in that smoothie than I probably eat total most days.

My Smoothie- handfuls of mixed greens, kale, whey protein with stevia and ice. Boom, salad eaten for the day plus 50G protein.

yes, I do know that. I just don't think of fruit as carbs in a conventional sense. ..just a personal perspective thing. A holdover from an old perspective where pasta and bread were carbs, steak was protein and everything else was salad.
I thought putting 'carb' in quote the quotes alluded to that but obviously that wasn't very clear.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus there's the whole "total carbs - fibre = carbs that count" thing

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
To your point, there are good carbs and bad carbs. Fruit has enormous nutritional value. Breads and pastas do not.

Carbs are not evil.

The problem with the fruit based smoothie is that it will have a great deal of fruitcose (sugar) as the carb component. Some fruit for the day is certainly OK, but some of these seem to be almost all sugar with a little flavoring.

The Now Whey Isolate protein sure mixes well and has a good amino acid breakdow. Dropping in a whole raw egg will also give some beneficial components.

ramp

Reaction score
Here's been my daily morning shake the past month or so:

Milk - 2 cups
Oats - 3/4 cup
Whey protein - 2 scoops
Peanut Butter - 1 tablespoon
Banana if I feel like it.

Tasty and high calorie, which is good for me. I'm a really slow eater, so when I would have oatmeal every morning, I'd only make 1/2 cup and it would usually go cold before I finished with it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My standard shake post workout could easily be eaten in the morning:

1 c milk
2 tsp ground flax
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop protein powder
3/4 c frozen fruit 1
3/4 c fruit 2 - frozen or fresh
4 ice cubes

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charley
The problem with the fruit based smoothie is that it will have a great deal of fruitcose (sugar) as the carb component. Some fruit for the day is certainly OK, but some of these seem to be almost all sugar with a little flavoring.

The Now Whey Isolate protein sure mixes well and has a good amino acid breakdow. Dropping in a whole raw egg will also give some beneficial components.

The amount of fruit I put into my shake is on par with an entire apple, which, to your point, contains sugar. An amount of sugar I am totally willing to live with.

I've done four rounds of P90X with the shake, but I'm not a body builder, so I don't get obsessed with humongoid doses of protein. FWIW, I do have a protein shake most days, but I let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads