• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Morning Dress Rule

rsum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've started compiling a list of morning dress code rules similar to my white tie list as I'm having trouble finding a single handbook online. Most blogs have the gist of it right but still have an error here and there in the examples. That being said, I've decided to compile my own list of morning dress rules and I'm wondering if anyone can contribute to them?

- Waist coat: Double or single breasted. (Preferably double in my opinion). Should cover trouser waist. Preferred color is grey, buff, or blue. (Pastel colors)
- Coat: Hook closure. Length should be to the back of knees.
- Trousers: Cashmere stripes. This can be either grey and black to contrast the jacket. Some people in more formal situations have trousers that match the coat in all black. Should be high waisted.
- Tie: Silver and black tie or ascot for wedding. Other colors are fine. Pastels may be best.
- Shirt: White pull down collar. Base shirt can be colored such as blue and white striped.
- Shoes: Oxfords preferred. Patent is not required.

Perhaps the best modern example I can find. Although the waist coats may be too long and the suits look a bit blue.
93220114_3005757402826643_7755514143901468402_n.jpg

Again, anything that can be added is much appreciated. Either general or more technical rules. Thank you!

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I never thought I'd say this, but Sven Rafael Schneider is your best bet, as he has already written several such guides. He's a giant stickler for the rules re: clothing that no one actually wears anymore, and will criticize any perceived deviation with a very sassy "That's just wrong and tacky and just looks plain bad and is just so wrong and awful!" in his ambiguous accent (half Bavaria, half Duluth). Go check out his blog (Gentleman's Gazette); just try not to come out dressed like a Boardwalk Empire cosplayer.

rsum

Reaction score
I never thought I'd say this, but Sven Rafael Schneider is your best bet, as he has already written several such guides. He's a giant stickler for the rules re: clothing that no one actually wears anymore, and will criticize any perceived deviation with a very sassy "That's just wrong and tacky and just looks plain bad and is just so wrong and awful!" in his ambiguous accent (half Bavaria, half Duluth). Go check out his blog (Gentleman's Gazette); just try not to come out dressed like a Boardwalk Empire cosplayer.
Hahaha! I've watched his content multiple times. He starts off by saying there are hundreds of more things he could go into but he's going to keep it to the main points for the sake of his videos. That being said, I think I highlighted the main points and I'm looking for what could ever be those 100 or more points? LOL...

Btw, whats wrong with Sven? Is he right on his thoughts but also a little too far out there?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The internet is your friend. See below for numerous pictures of contemporary
versions of Morning Dress:

ede and ravenscroft morning coat

Also, you seem obsessed with rules and lists. Style involves a degree
of personalization, and dare I say, taste. If you rely too much on
the former and lack the latter you'll end up looking like the two stiffs
you use in your example. They look like their clothes were "issued"
by the "People'Clothing Commisariat/ Morning Dress Division " in the
old Soviet bloc.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.