• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning coat after 6pm for formal wear?

dressed2kill

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could wear a morning coat after 6 in this day and age. Or would you just go with "black tie" Tuxedo, or "White Tie", Tails for that time. I've always been attracted to morning coats but have no formal events in the morning to wear them to. Should I use the classsic rules for formal wear or do I have more options in 2006.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be against the rules.

Pick your poison:
White DJ
Black DJ
Midnight Blue DJ
Black Tails
Midnight Tails

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner Jacket

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner Jacket.

And I would not consider midnight tails as proper.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Why?

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Dinner Jacket.

The 1930s had a short love affair with midnight tails, and that was the Fred Astaire era.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
I was wondering if you could wear a morning coat after 6 in this day and age. Or would you just go with "black tie" Tuxedo, or "White Tie", Tails for that time. I've always been attracted to morning coats but have no formal events in the morning to wear them to. Should I use the classsic rules for formal wear or do I have more options in 2006.

It is definitely 'against the rules'.

Of course, most people at a black tie event will be equally clueless wearing DJs with notched lapels and long ties, so if you really wanted to join that crew, then sure you could wear a morning suit in the evening. But if you fail to fool everyone, and someone there does know better, you will be getting comments about looking like the groom at a wedding - "who are marrying?" etc etc. You may well end up the laughing stock of the evening event.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Than I won't do it. I was asking about for prom specifically, but you are right.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
Than I won't do it. I was asking about for prom specifically, but you are right.
Go with a tailcoat

dressed2kill

Reaction score
I already have with the tails. I spent a fortune on my 19th century black beaver, silk plush, bell crown top hat. I wore the same thing last year and it was a huge hit. I took the hat off dancing because it got a little freaky. Then George Clinton and Parliment-Funkidelics came on. Man you should of seen my robot and westcoast poplock. I should of been on Soul Train with Don Cornelius

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oddly, the Central European countries still produce top hats. There are many such shops around the Opera house in Vienna.

To be somewhat pedantic, beaver pelt top hats aren't strictly apropos for white-tie; rather, silk top hats are.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
To be somewhat pedantic, beaver pelt top hats aren't strictly apropos for white-tie; rather, silk top hats are.

I never talked to someone that knew that other than me. I am very impressed. Yes it is odd that the much more expensive beaver top hat, is more veratile with clothes than the silk top hat. The beaver is done always in silk plush to give it that nice glimer in the light and so the pelt won't be "furry". Also it has been done in moleskin and other furs.
wow.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are into hats, perhaps you should see about acquiring a proper silk topper as they are not made anymore and should likely be a good investment, as well as a prize of your collection.

Consider using a detachable collar for your white tie ensemble. And perhaps a dress cane and white gloves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads