• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Morjas shoes

4r36

Reaction score
I was told it was full grain leather too. Well, I haven't worn them more than 15-20 times (fit is good):

IMG_20210103_184934604_MP.jpg

IMG_20210103_184923233.jpg

IMG_20210103_184913292.jpg

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
That looks quite poor. Can't expect top quality material at that price point, but if the bar is that low then its not good money spent.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, Jesper: wouldn't you say that, as a general rule, grained leather is of lower quality than smooth calf? Also, are there any leathers that are naturally grained? Thanks.
Both yes and no. There are many different kinds of embossed grain leathers out there. We have the worst ones where one use hides of lower quality in all aspects where it gets synthetic surface treatment and then have the print embossed. We have grain leathers where the hides are of lower quality in all aspects where it's only buffed a bit and then have the embossed grain pattern. And then we have grain leathers who use hides of good quality apart from various cosmetics issues (scars, blemishes etc) which makes them not suitable to use for a smooth full grain leather, which have the embossing done to cover these. But the latter are more or less as good in quality as good smooth full grain calf, apart from the cosmetic parts. So it varies a lot, in the same way as the quality of smooth calf leathers varies a lot.

It's not that common with natural grain leathers nowadays, but you have some. It's often called "shrunken calf" or similar.

yatagan

Reaction score
It's not that common with natural grain leathers nowadays, but you have some. It's often called "shrunken calf" or similar.
Thanks, Jesper. Very briefly, how is shrunken leather made? Is some kind of treatment applied to it to shrink it?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jesper. Very briefly, how is shrunken leather made? Is some kind of treatment applied to it to shrink it?
It's specific tanning agents used in the water during the tanning of the hides, which causes the hides to shrink. There's both natural and synthetic tanning agents used for this, the challenge is to get a good even "shrinkage" of the whole hides, so that the whole hide is relatively uniform in pattern depth and thickness.

Zerase

Reaction score

Jamesbond1

Reaction score
I see nothing positive or anything nice as this thread is progressing. There are more pictures and comments that do draw a clear picture!!
Sometimes it’s just better to spend a few extra bucks and purchase something that everyone has worn and mostly have a positive feedback from.Bloggers or poster boys stories or blogs means nothing to me!! They are mostly bias as they do get stuff for free to promote the product/ brand in most cases.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the penny loafers in black calf that I wore say 5-7 times, that looks just as bad as the burgundy ones posted earlier. I will definitely not get anything else from them.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones should not be mentioned with these. They are not at all comparable in terms of build quality and cost.
With all the incoming photos I guess this is correct. I was deceived by the good look of the shoes on their website and thought the quality is on a par.

M.Olsson

Reaction score
With all the incoming photos I guess this is correct. I was deceived by the good look of the shoes on their website and thought the quality is on a par.
To be fair I think their suede is quite nice. I’m happy with my brown suede tassel loafers; the over all quality is good considering the price.

gordonchungwc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to styleforum.
I'm going to purchase my first pair of Morjas dark brown suede penny loafers and got a issue of which size shoud I get.

I'm wearing
UK6.5 Crockett&Jones Cordovan Harvard
7E/D Alden aberdeen loafer
7D Alden Van LHS Suede
UK6.5 Berwick loafer
UK6.5F Loake loafer

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo