Moreschi sale and berluti at barney's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lomezz, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

Moreschi NYC (53rd and Madison) has a 60% clearance on some of its stock. Goodyear  cap-toes and wingtips are about $329 - would you consider this a good deal? BTW, they used to have a nice window display of a goodyear shoe cut across to reveal the inner workings. Very educational. I didn't see it today, though.

Blake stitched shoes on sale are approx $250, if I remember correctly.

Moreschi also has what it calls "Lavorazione Tirolese", which brings about images of mountain/hiking shoes, but the shoes themselves are of the squarish, lavishly-welted Italian kind, using what seems like butcher's twine for the stitching. Anyone familiar with this method? another addition to our collection of mysterious Italian shoe-making techniques...

Also, I spoke with a Barney's salesperson today and he claimed that they intend to bring in a large selection of Berluti RTW in the coming fall. He also mentioned they'll feature a few other small new (for barney's) brands, but he couldn't recall any specific names.

2. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

'Lavorazione' basically means 'made by'. 'Tirolese' is much the same as 'Norwegian'. however, I was dissapointed in this line from Moreschi. I hold a pair in my hand right now that was special ordered for one of my customers and, if you pull back on the upper at the ball, you will expose the insole. Not nearly the quality they should be. I pointed this out to my customer (I did not buy this line for the store, so he wanted them from an ad he saw) and we went to Borgioli, as they are true Goodyear Welt construction. Many better options out there for the price than these.

3. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

Thanks, RIDER. Which other brands would you compare Moreschi to, quality-wise, and are you referring to the Tirolese only, or also to the goodyear line?

4. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Moreschi makes a huge variety of footwear - both good and not so good when compared to the prices. The Gold Line is excellent value, the Blake shoes are generally very good, particularly the peccary combo's. The only things I would stay away from are the Nappa's and the Tirolese.