• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More shoe dissections by piedencap

slt

Reaction score
Not sure if this is already old news; but anyway, there are 3 more shoe dissections to be seen at the piedencap forum: an AE, a Lobb and a C&J

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The comments about the leather used in the AE upper are interesting.

The comparison is to Bookbinder.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The comments about the leather used in the AE upper are interesting.

The comparison is to Bookbinder.

- B

You really have a thing for A&E. Why the hell are people cutting their shoes apart?

Eccentric

Reaction score
eek.gif

slt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Why the hell are people cutting their shoes apart?

I suspect they want to use the leather for making a custom gun holster.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those do look like CG, at least from the flash photos. AE does use some CG, doesn't it? Or has in the past, anyway.

I mention it because if so, it wouldn't be representative of AE production in general. That Lobb Barros, for example, looks like one of the old C&J contracted ones...can't tell for sure.

I'm not sure why it is surprising that there would be synthetic or secondary manufactured components...none of the three makers make claims to the contrary.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You really have a thing for A&E.

I just a couple pairs of G&G, mostly so that you can hate on them for their effeminate sole.

Why the hell are people cutting their shoes apart?

What's going to get disassembled next?

I vote for pocket squares. I want to know what's really hidden in those things.

- B

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you know how durable the shoe would have been if you didn't destroy it?

You wear the shoes, that's tells if the shoes are durable.
confused.gif

Anything else is just wishful expectations.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I just a couple pairs of G&G, mostly so that you can hate on them for their effeminate sole.

- B

The soles are fine. It is the last shapes that are ugly.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you know how durable the shoe would have been if you didn't destroy it?

It’s not likely to give you any information.

There are no mechanical tests which could give an indication about how long the sole or the stitching is likely to last. All they can come up with is the material of toe box and heel counter. In the case of most ready-to-wear shoes this is usually a thermoplastic material that takes on the form of the last. Whether or not this is superior or inferior is highly debatable (I know that even some bespoke firms prefer it, while others think it is the devil’s work It’s just a question of prejudice.) Whether one uses heel shanks of metal, wood, hammered leather or none at all (like AE) is a matter of individual preference; after all, it doesn’t matter as long as the waist does not collapse (which I have never seen to happen, maybe it‘s just an urban myth).

Equally the absurd suggestion that John Lobb ought not to use metal (half) eyelets as reinforcement. It is certainly not absolute necessary (and many bespoke shoes do without) but it is considered by the general public as a sign of quality. So, why should they leave them out, when many shoppers would consider this a construction fault.

In none of the “reviews”, I could find any factual information, for example. the number of stitches per cm/inch for uppers or welt,, or the narrowness and quality of the welt cutting.

Who are these people carrying out the “dissections”? It appears, judging by the looks of the messy and disorganised workshops, they are the average repair-job cobblers, apparently without any industrial experience. Only an experienced production manager or some store’s buyer, could voice an opinion whether a particular pair of shoes, offers good value at it’s particular price point.

Shoemakers and hairdressers are notorious to bad-mouth their competitors. They both like to put themselves on a pedestal and telling you (for commercial reasons) that nobody is as good and knows more about shoemaking/hairdressing than they.

So, why give them space in a forum?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads