1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

More Carmina Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

I'm in Los Angeles patiently awaiting a delivery from Barcelona of the shell monks on the rain last ....and once the fit is confirmed, I suspect there will be an immediate follow up order.....

So looking forward to getting these shoes and when I do, I will post photos and comments....jtb

2. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

Does Carmina ship polish with all shoes?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

On a similar note, does Carmina sell shoe trees, especially lasted ones?

4. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Anyone know how the Queen last compares to the Inca last? I bought a pair of the Epaulet double monks in the 8.5UK Inca last and that are a tad large, heel slips a little and I curious whether I need to order the same size (8.5) or size up to a 9 in the Queen last?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. Kemper

Kemper Well-Known Member

Yes, Carmina sells shoe trees (60 euros in Paris). Not sure they are lasted.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

:teach:

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You're nuts. I like these better than EGs.

YEAH I SAID IT WHAT

1 person likes this.
  8. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Who are you? What have you become? I feel like I don't know you anymore!

Take a trip to Lobb tomorrow! Snap out of it.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Carmina better be really REALLY good to be better than EG.

10. meister

meister Senior member

intersting how poor the resale is including no buyers....lack of familiarity I suspect.

11. quar

quar Senior member

Just because The Armoury sell them.

Carmina are not in the same league in terms of finish or materials compared to EG. Having said that, they are much cheaper. I own a pair of Carmina, and would buy more in the future. But my John Lobb and Vass shoes make the Carmina pair I have feel subpar.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im not speaking from a construction standpoint, or a "quality" standpoint. For me personally, I prefer the lasts and looks of all my Carmina shoes over every one of the EG shoes I have owned. Granted I have only had a few EGs myself, they are not my #1 pick for shoes.

13. quar

quar Senior member

Fair enough.

I just feel Carmina are the flavour of the month here, and over-rated. They are good shoes. But they are not super high-quality compared to the likes of Vass, EG, St. Crispin's, JL Prestige, etc.

14. SpooPoker

Sure, that I know. But (to me)I prefer the way they look compared to a lot of those, and actually are more comfortable for me, thats all.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

on looks alone, i agree with you. with the exception of the 888 last. thats just dead secksay.

16. Kemper

Kemper Well-Known Member

To me, Carmina is not a flavour, but a reality that I can compare to the two pairs of EG, 1 pair of Lobb MTO, 2 of Crockett & Jones mainline, 1 of Vass (having sold another one) etc that I own.
    Construction and skins are very good on the Carminas, and have nothing to fear in comparison with EG for instance. And in Paris, a pair of EG cost 800 euros, vs 370 euros for Carmina.
    More, on the Carmina's Simpson last, the form is quite close to those that can be observed on bespoke shoes.

Of course, personnal tastes are another thing.

And regarding Vass and the quality, permit me to show you my last pair of Vass in the state I received them :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I just got a quote from Betty on two pairs of MTO shoes:

Model 80201 (Rain punchcap)
    Brown calf/leather sole/size 6
    423 Euros

Model 80216 (Rain chelsea)
    Brown calf/leather sole/size 6
    520 Euros.

50 Euros shipping to US

She said that these were prices excluding VAT, but that would mean that MTO is more than 30% extra. When I check the online shop, I see:

A pair of Rain oxfords for 325 Euros tax included : 325*1.3=422.5

A pair of Simpson chelseas for 400 Euros tax included
    : 400*1.3=520

Did she make a mistake and quote me prices including VAT?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  18. NORE

NORE Senior member

[​IMG]

They are good, but not EG good.

Some like Lobb, others like EG. You know where I stand.

With 2 pairs of Carminas making up my limited stable they are solid shoes for the price, but no where near EG on any front. Also, I hate that they really don't have names for their shoe models but just last names.

19. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Yeah, my guess is you're right. The price for the first pair should be roughly 350 euro. (btw, I'm also currently in the process of placing an mto order.)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  20. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I understand where the feeling that Carmina is a passing fad comes from - it seems like their profile in the US (or at least SF) has increased dramatically in a relatively short period of time. However, I think this has more to do with good quality at a very competitive price, ease of access (through Armoury and now the online store), and that they are just nice-looking shoes. I don't know how to judge "quality" objectively - I'm not going to rip apart any of my Carminas to compare them to EG or JL. I think for most people - not all but most - once you get above a certain level of construction quality it becomes academic. I've seen a number of EG shoes in person (at Leffot FWIW) and I prefer the look of Carmina's lasts from what I've seen. And I've never been tempted to try on any EG because of the great fit I get from Carmina. And that is aside from the difference in price. I have no problem with someone saying EG or JL are "better" in any sense of the word, they probably are, I'm just going by what I like.

If my shoes fall apart in a year or so I may change my tune...:embar: