• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mordecai's honeymoon thread

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great idea! Had not thought of that, or even really know of the area. Would be really fun to stay in monterey for a few days, go to the aquarium, explore the beach, drive through big sur and have dinner on some crazy clifftop vista.:slayer:

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Big Sur is great. I also do not love the Napa region, but Meadowood, which mordecai mentioned, is one of the really great places on earth. The problem with Monterey is where to stay, and that the towns are awful. The scenery is spectacular.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cat was looking to save a few bucks so not sure Meadowood fits the bill.

Monterey aquarium is pretty cool. Monterey. Carmel, CbtSea, not so cool.

Look for a Big Sur eco/tent/cabin/hippie thing. Hike along a deserted beach and do your best Chuck Heston. Cliff meal is Nepenthe, among others.

Back to the OP, look for a few back episodes of HH International that feature Slovenia. The houses are surprisingly modern with great kitchens and baths. Seem to fit your taste. Hotels should be pretty nice.

lefty

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ redlantern, if you're looking into the Caribbean, take a gander at St. Lucia and Tobago. Having been to a lot of islands when I was younger, these two still stand out. St. Lucia for its looks and peace and quiet, Tobago for its undisturbed forest. I pretty much share itsstillmatt's hate for other human beings, so these are relatively quiet islands, which you have to be into...
Especially Tobago didnt have the "rip off the tourist" vibe I got on a lot of other islands...

@mordy, take a look at sardinia?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big sur is definitely cool. there's a great place in carmel highlands called highlands inn. not sure how much it is now, but it's very convenient to all the good things and it's part of a chain, so shouldn't be outrageous (WOW! scratch that ... just looked and it's still like $750 a night).
So ... anyhoo ... how about Mendocino? there are lots of great places up there, a good wine country, not overly crowded and i know there are lots of great rates available. if you want specific recs, let me know.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ redlantern, if you're looking into the Caribbean, take a gander at St. Lucia and Tobago. Having been to a lot of islands when I was younger, these two still stand out. St. Lucia for its looks and peace and quiet, Tobago for its undisturbed forest. I pretty much share itsstillmatt's hate for other human beings, so these are relatively quiet islands, which you have to be into...
Especially Tobago didnt have the "rip off the tourist" vibe I got on a lot of other islands...
@mordy, take a look at sardinia?

My girlfriend was in St Lucia a few years back and said while gorgeous, actually being on the island sucked. Cruise ships and tourists everywhere with locals being VERY aggressive in selling/scamming the foreigners.

My sister and her boyfriend did Croatia last Labor Day week and fell in love with the land, people, food, and cities. They're planning on going back sometime next year.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that you thought about Calabria, maybe Sicilia?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who enjoyed it a lot over there. Never been myself.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My girlfriend was in St Lucia a few years back and said while gorgeous, actually being on the island sucked. Cruise ships and tourists everywhere with locals being VERY aggressive in selling/scamming the foreigners.
My sister and her boyfriend did Croatia last Labor Day week and fell in love with the land, people, food, and cities. They're planning on going back sometime next year.

Could very well be, last time I was at St. Lucia was in the 90s.
Might take a second look at Tobago though, that island cannot have changed that much in 5 years...

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

I know a few people who enjoyed it a lot over there. Never been myself.

I was kidding. It looks beautiful. So does Apulia. Seems like every region in Italy is golden.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was kidding. It looks beautiful. So does Apulia. Seems like every region in Italy is golden.

I think -- no, I know -- I'm terrible at judging irony etc. on the web in a non-mother tongue. :eek:
But seriously, there are people who don't like Sicilian people. Mostly prejudices though.

Have a look at http://www.murgo.it/
They produce great marmelade, honey, olive oil and other stuff. And they have some guest houses too (they cook for you with their own produce etc.). I've just found this out by browsing their website (because their marmellata di arance is so great). So I haven't browsed for any reviews, don't know comfort level and prices etc.. Just have a look.

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Sicily is looking more and more appealing. I forgot that the Palantine Chapel and Martorana are in Palermo. I could spend a day just in those.

Anyone been? Is it affordable? Safe? Easy to get around?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads