Morbidly Obese in the Public Eye, Is It Possible to Look Professional?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Sep 30, 2011.

1. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

To me his surplus weight looks simply disgusting. How can people keep situations under control if they do not even have themselves under control? I disapprove...

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

Another positive example:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sidn...75&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:75&tx=103&ty=121

3. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

My thoughts exactly. Imagine if he were as addicted to something else as he is to food. And he has a full-time chef and can afford a personal trainer.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

That was already posted, Properly.

It is possible to look acceptable as a larger man in a suit. Things like Braces, pleats and a fuller cut trouser are a good start.

The most important thing in my opinion isn't his look, but his movement. In the pictures above he is upright, and as long as he can walk with purpose and poise he should be ok. The negative impact tends to come from people who look nearly incapacitated by their girth, and as demonstrated by Churchill and the myriad others the larger man can often be the victor.

5. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

This is so dumb. Was Obama unfit for office simply because he was addicted to smoking? That was addictive behavior and just as bad for your health.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Obama's smoking was probably equivalent to Clinton's Fast Food problem. To be equivalent to Christie's morbid obesity, Obama would have had to have been a manic chain smoker who would panic going more than 30 minutes without a fix. Do you know how much food one has to eat to maintain a 400 pound weight?

7. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I dunno. You have to do more than change your diet to lose weight. At my last job I did nothing but sit at a desk and process stress over the phone, occasionally take clients to lunch and ate breakfast at Carls Jr. almost every day, for over a decade. Gained 50 pounds in that time. I didn't start losing it until it started to exacerbate my back issues and started changing my diet AND to exercise.

Is he really 400 pounds? Is he over 6 feet tall?

8. DrHouse

DrHouse Active Member

Churchill had sort of a chubby face as he got older but remember that he was 70 in 1944 and this is the image most people had of him.Churchill was about 5'7" but I doubt that he ever weighed over 200lbs, probably about 180lb.

9. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

I'm sorry but I respectully disagree. Christie has proven himself to be effective in tackling difficult problems. It isn't ideal that he weighs what he does but it certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker. I have no doubt that many politicians indulge in vices more egregious than overeating.

10. arced

arced Senior member

You seem to imply that he's eating constantly. Is this a guess or have you read this? Maintaining weight doesn't necessarily require a lot of food. In fact, depending on a variety of factors (metabolism being the biggest one), one can consume less that 2,000 calories/day and gain weight. It's the losing of weight that's a lot of effort. FWIW, there was an interesting NYT article called "Fat Factors" that went into some of these issues.

11. bigchris1313

bigchris1313 Senior member

No. At 5'11", I bet he's sitting around 300. Take it from someone who knows. If he were 400, he'd be unelectable.

EDIT: After further reflection, I'm upping my estimate to 315ish. But that's still quite a ways from 400.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

12. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Well-Known Member

You never know... A former mayor of my city lost some popularity after loosing some weight, and he promptly gained it back. Completely irrational I know, but.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

[​IMG]
    William Conrad as 'Frank Cannon'.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Really depends on how much muscle mass he's carrying. My dad topped 270 at one point and he wasn't half Christie's size visually. I've been as big as 245 at 6' (granted I lifted a lot before I added fat on top of it) and didn't have any rolls or anything, didn't even have a gut you could see through a shirt.

15. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

So taking a smoke break every hour doesn't bother you? Obama was up to 1-2 packs a day which takes up a significant amount of time.