• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moral dilemma - skipping work for another gig

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I need some advice. I'm having a hard time regarding what to do...

I work in sales. Our biggest time of the year is the last week of December. Right now, we're just prospecting/pitching and closing the odd contract. We're maybe 5% into our sales cycle. Performance is based on deliverables. We have some guys that are literally never in the office, but they perform, and therefore are granted a lot of freedom. We don't have set hours or anything like that.

Anyways, I was just offered a role in a movie. It's a special skills role, meaning it's not the usual $10/hour extra role, but more like $30/hour for 12 - 16 hours. It's a decent paycheck that I could definitely use right now, but it requires me to miss the morning tomorrow and all of Tuesday.

So I don't know what to do. My boss told all the sales guys that if we want to take time off, now is the time to do it because work is going to get hectic in the coming weeks. Should I just be honest about the whole thing? Should I just call in sick? I have a big problem with lying, but I'm not sure how they would feel if I told them I was skipping out of work for another paycheck.

Opinions?

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin

I work in sales. Our biggest time of the year is the last week of December. Right now, we're just prospecting/pitching and closing the odd contract. We're maybe 5% into our sales cycle. Performance is based on deliverables. We have some guys that are literally never in the office, but they perform, and therefore are granted a lot of freedom. We don't have set hours or anything like that.

Anyways, I was just offered a role in a movie. It's a special skills role, meaning it's not the usual $10/hour extra role, but more like $30/hour for 12 - 16 hours. It's a decent paycheck that I could definitely use right now, but it requires me to miss the morning tomorrow and all of Tuesday.

So I don't know what to do. My boss told all the sales guys that if we want to take time off, now is the time to do it because work is going to get hectic in the coming weeks. Should I just be honest about the whole thing? Should I just call in sick? I have a big problem with lying, but I'm not sure how they would feel if I told them I was skipping out of work for another paycheck.

Opinions?

Take 2 personal/vacation days. Is your boss going to pay your rent if you're short at the end of the month?

warmpi

Reaction score
You could call in sick for the two days. With the whole swine flu craze, taking time off work has never been easier.

Of course, there's always the odd chance he could see the movie somewhere downt the line and connect the dots. Or somehow catch you in the act.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
Take 2 personal/vacation days. Is your boss going to pay your rent if you're short at the end of the month?

This is my rationale at the moment as well. As I said, our busiest time of the year is the last week of December. Our base salary is basically minimum wage, and we make 75% of our money for the year during this final week. Essentially all the sales reps in the company basically take January - September off and just live off their commissions earned during the coming month. This is my first year at the company so I'm living off my CC at the moment. Still don't know if that's a legit excuse or not.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be honest about how you want to appear in the film and offer to make up the hours with overtime later in the week. Nothing riles me more than someone who takes time off for 'personal reasons' and then appears at a party somewhere.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin

When requesting leave just ask. Don't give a reason.
Opinions?

It's none of their business why you're taking time off. It sounds like your boss has given tacit approval to take any leave around now since things aren't too busy so you won't be missing much. Just request the day and a half or whatever as personal time off. Your dilemma that it's for another paycheck isn't valid in this case because it's not like your other work conflicts (professionaly) with what you do full time.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
It's none of their business why you're taking time off. It sounds like your boss has given tacit approval to take any leave around now since things aren't too busy so you won't be missing much. Just request the day and a half or whatever as personal time off. Your dilemma that it's for another paycheck isn't valid in this case because it's not like your other work conflicts (professionaly) with what you do full time.

Yep.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Be honest about how you want to appear in the film and offer to make up the hours with overtime later in the week. Nothing riles me more than someone who takes time off for 'personal reasons' and then appears at a party somewhere.

Isn't that the idea of taking a personal day? There is a difference b/t personal and sick days.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis

Why would the reasons someone takes personal time off matter to you? It's their perogative since they said for "personal reasons". If they asked for a sick day then I'd get the irritation and douchebaggery, but personal time is personal time. Bawlin, get your ass in that film!

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, 10 minutes before I was scheduled to be fitted for the role, I called and said I couldn't make it. I haven't been with the company that long, and I'm lagging in sales right now (things will turn around), so I felt wrong taking time off. The fact that they agency cut my pay in 1/3rd made it an easy decision for me. I should note that the agency 'fired' me for canceling on them at the last minute. I respect their decision.

I've always hated calling in sick. And I've always hated lying even more.

Thanks for the advice/input.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a decision you're comfortable with, which is all you can ask.

Good luck with your regular 9to5 and making all your goals/commissions.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm eagerly looking forward to your
ffffuuuu.gif
post when they lay your ass off in January.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I'm eagerly looking forward to your
ffffuuuu.gif
post when they lay your ass off in January.

I'm on contract. I'll be gone mid-Jan.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a contractor, then there's no dilemma in not showing up for 2 days to work for another client. Just would just do it. That is, if you didn't already *****-out.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
NVM

What do you sell? I'm in the technology sector, and the end of December is so quiet for us that we're closing down from Christmas to New Year's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads