• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moonshine Whisky

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I got a package from one of my writers. When I opened it, I was surprised to find he had sent me jar of moonshine whisky. It was 80 proof and was "corn likker." My benefactor lives in an area where such beverages are commonly produced.

I had heard all sorts of tales about moonshine and "white lightning," but when I tried it, I found myself quite liking it. And I've never acquired the taste for whisky. I suspect the fact that it was only 80 proof made it more palatable, but in all, I thought it was a pretty good drink. More like vodka than aged whiskies, I think.

Anyway, do any of you have experience with moonshine? If so, did you like it?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I assume by "moonshine" you mean anything you distill on your own, right? A close family friend lives up in the hills of Santa Barbara and he makes all kinds of liquor: wine, beer, grappa, vodka, and yes, even whisky. Apparently there are recipes/ingredient kits and instructions you can get off the internet fairly easily. I've got a bottle of some sweet feed whisky he gave me that's around 100-110 proof. Tastes pretty much like gasoline so when I do drink it's usually on water or mixed with Drambuie.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw this at my local liquor store like 2 days ago and was really tempted to buy it. It's not normal moonshine as in what the generally accepted term for the definition is but it looks interesting. I'll pick it up tomorrow and let you know what I think of it.

taktikz

Reaction score
I thought moonshine was illegal? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was offered a sip of some home-made white lightning at a dealership in semi-rural Kentucky. He had it in a quart-size mason jar and it smelled faintly of turpentine. We demurred, 1) because we were on the clock, and 2) our boss was present.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I just saw this at my local liquor store like 2 days ago and was really tempted to buy it. It's not normal moonshine as in what the generally accepted term for the definition is but it looks interesting. I'll pick it up tomorrow and let you know what I think of it.

I have some of this 'commercial' moonshine from the local grog shop in my bar ...... gathering dust. I'm not really that into whiskey at it's best, but that stuff is ROUGH!! Great for novelty value, bad for drinking.

savage

Reaction score
I had some 'shine (from corn) last week, that a co-worker got from his neighbor, who gets it from dude in the backwods of SC. It smelled like it rubbing alchohol, but tasted much better (better then what i assume rubbing alchohol would taste like from the smell). I only had a small amount, but it was MUCH stronger than I anticipated.

Originally Posted by taktikz

what are you a lawyer ?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taktikz

Nope, you are right. Distilling your own spirits is illegal in the United States. The ATF is probably closely monitoring this thread as we speak.

Having said that, my family brings home made booze from the old country over all the time, but it's not made from corn, it's made from the grape leftovers after they make the wine. Where I come from it's known as "rakija," but I believe some of you may know it as "raki," which I gather is the Turkish word for it. Anyway, stuff is great.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We used to pick some up in North Georgia. Sometimes it came in a mason jar, sometimes in a big milk jug.

I didnt mind the stuff and it was dirt cheap. We used to take some of the grain stuff to parties and mix drinks for girls. They seemed to love the idea of drinking "shine", even though it was mixed into a punch and they couldnt taste the booze

K

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Jan:

Interesting thread. I haven't had "shine" in 20 years, when someone brought something they claimed was such, to a high school party. I think why it is so different from other whiskies, is that it spends no time in oak barrels. I would be interested in trying some if I came across it.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first and last experience with moonshine was in college some 10 years ago. A guy on my floor brought back some from his trip to some Southern States that I can no longer remember. It wasn't 80 proof, however, as we learned. I took a big gulp from it, and till this day I can still recall the taste. There was no real flavor profile--it just burned my internal organs on the way down. Bacardi 151 was a smoother drink by comparison. Since then, I've never had the urge to seek out and have another try.

clarity

Reaction score
Most of the shine I've had was with fruits simmering in it. Peach and strawberry were my fav. It's been about 3 years since though. I don't know if that is the normal way to have it, but it's the only way I could get it from the redneck mountain men where I used to live.

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by savage
I had some 'shine (from corn) last week, that a co-worker got from his neighbor, who gets it from dude in the backwods of SC. It smelled like it rubbing alchohol, but tasted much better (better then what i assume rubbing alchohol would taste like from the smell). I only had a small amount, but it was MUCH stronger than I anticipated.

what are you a lawyer ?

A few ppl stated they got commercially available "moonshine" ... which makes me wonder how it's being sold to the public being illegal....

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding illegal or otherwise home-distilled alcohol: Be careful for your health, and not just because of the ATF.

When a still run is performed, the distillate is not of consistent chemical composition throughout the run. At the beginning, the more volatile components and higher alcohols distill first, then ethanol, then the lesser-volatile, oils and heavier alcohols (Scotch drinkers may be familiar with the terms 'foreshoots' and 'feints' to describe these compounds). It takes some good judgement to do this correctly, as a still run is like turning on a hose -- you have to know when to stop letting this stuff run on the ground and start collecting it, then you have to know when to stop and let the remains run out again. Many of these components are pretty indistinguishable and from ethanol and many of them are toxic, notably methanol, one of the higher alcohols and a common adulterant.

Because erring on the side of safety when distilling means getting less product without a clear easily defined line between the good distillate and poison, if you can't really trust the guy who's distilling this stuff you are running a decent risk of health problems that probably won't show up immediately, but rather with extended exposure. I believe one of the earlier signs of methanol poisoning is blindness.

So be careful. I stick with Johnnie Walker and I pay the man.

~H

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once tried a product called "northern comfort" which had a distinct kick.

Hooch is also mainly illegal due to the lack of taxes paid to uncle sam.

With "corn likker" do remember that it is perishable (like beer) and should be imbibed within a few months of being "bottled".

There are a few firms that make it legally. You may enjoy this link:

http://www.ellenjaye.com/wh_index.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads