• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montreal

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(scnupe7 @ June 23 2005,15:50)
Originally Posted by arrogant,June 23 2005,18:27
Since you seem to be the expert on Canada and more precisely, montreal please inform us of other hot spots and spots that one shouldn t wander alone in..... Obviously Saint-Laurent and Sainte-Catherine is not widely known for being a shady area...As the number of tourists getting mugged around that corner and along Sainte-Catherine at night rises every year....
And this is where you recommend that I go?
Put the shotgun away..I am on your side..I was just making a joke that PHV would catch onto.....
You are irritating, antagonistic and have nothing to contribute. But most importantly, you are not at all entertaining. So, goodbye.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(arrogant @ June 23 2005,15:52)
Originally Posted by scnupe7,June 23 2005,15:50
Originally Posted by arrogant,June 23 2005,18:27
Since you seem to be the expert on Canada and more precisely, montreal please inform us of other hot spots and spots that one shouldn t wander alone in..... Obviously Saint-Laurent and Sainte-Catherine is not widely known for being a shady area...As the number of tourists getting mugged around that corner and along Sainte-Catherine at night rises every year....
And this is where you recommend that I go?

Put the shotgun away..I am on your side..I was just making a joke that PHV would catch onto.....
You are irritating, antagonistic and have nothing to contribute. But most importantly, you are not at all entertaining. So, goodbye.
Well done J.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
scnupe7,

In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think. Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling. I never felt unsafe. There is quite a crowd at night in the summer. Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood. Pretty good Pho to be had.

About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries. And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.

PHV

Reaction score
scnupe7,

In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think.  Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling.  I never felt unsafe.  There is quite a crowd at night in the summer.  Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood.  Pretty good Pho to be had.

About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries.  And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.
Fabienne, that assertion I'm afraid is rather naive. First of all, there is absolutely nothing that you'd want to see on that intersection, except for a Burger King. The only time people (tourists) go there is at night, and usually very late, where they get mugged or whatever. China town and adjacent Asian quarters are fine by day, but at around the locals go inside and it's a totally different ballgame... most of Montreal is very safe but some of it isn't.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ June 24 2005,05:20) scnupe7, In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think. Â Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling. Â I never felt unsafe. Â There is quite a crowd at night in the summer. Â Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood. Â Pretty good Pho to be had. About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries. Â And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.
Fabienne, that assertion I'm afraid is rather naive. First of all, there is absolutely nothing that you'd want to see on that intersection, except for a Burger King. The only time people (tourists) go there is at night, and usually very late, where they get mugged or whatever. China town and adjacent Asian quarters are fine by day, but at around the locals go inside and it's a totally different ballgame... most of Montreal is very safe but some of it isn't.
Naive or lucky or? I have spent several summers in Montreal. I usually rent a place off of North St Laurent, and often walked back to my apartment late at night through "la main". The worst thing that's ever happened to me is a guy who followed me for a few yards, insisting that I taste his poutine.
omg.gif

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ June 24 2005,14:41)
Originally Posted by Fabienne,June 24 2005,05:20
scnupe7, In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think. Â Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling. Â I never felt unsafe. Â There is quite a crowd at night in the summer. Â Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood. Â Pretty good Pho to be had. About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries. Â And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.
Naive or lucky or? Â I have spent several summers in Montreal. I usually rent a place off of North St Laurent, and often walked back to my apartment late at night through "la main". Â The worst thing that's ever happened to me is a guy who followed me for a few yards, insisting that I taste his poutine.
omg.gif

O my god... what an odd inuendo.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really should have had the cops arrest him for attempted murder. Clogging my arteries, really.
mad.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second the vote on going to Time, it's my favorite place to go out in Montreal. It's a supper club, and in case you don't know what that means, they serve dinner there and then pull the center tables out and the place transforms into a club. As the night goes on the music gets more intense and then the real party atmosphere sets in.

I suggest that you make dinner reservations for 9:30 and ask for a table on the left side of the catwalk. You don't want to be on the right because that's where the bar is and that's where they start letting people in. The food is great and having dinner alllows you avoid waiting in line to get in. Dress well if you decide to go. The waitresses are awesome as well.

It really is something to experience, you'll love it when girls get up on the catwalk and start dancing at around midnight. Time is packed with good looking people, but it's also a very friendly atmosphere, much more so than a regular club. I wouldn't typically strike up conversation with other guys at a club, but at Time it's a bit different because your table is right next to some other group's table and it's inherently easy to mingle when the bottle service starts.

PHV

Reaction score
I second the vote on going to Time, it's my favorite place to go out in Montreal. It's a supper club, and in case you don't know what that means, they serve dinner there and then pull the center tables out and the place transforms into a club. As the night goes on the music gets more intense and then the real party atmosphere sets in.

I suggest that you make dinner reservations for 9:30 and ask for a table on the left side of the catwalk. You don't want to be on the right because that's where the bar is and that's where they start letting people in. The food is great and having dinner alllows you avoid waiting in line to get in. Dress well if you decide to go. The waitresses are awesome as well.

It really is something to experience, you'll love it when girls get up on the catwalk and start dancing at around midnight. Time is packed with good looking people, but it's also a very friendly atmosphere, much more so than a regular club. I wouldn't typically strike up conversation with other guys at a club, but at Time it's a bit different because your table is right next to some other group's table and it's inherently easy to mingle when the bottle service starts.
A very respectable review.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I would second the vote for Mount Royal itself, and add the extensive gardens too. I'm not into plants or gardening, but the gardens there are on a grand scale and very well-done, with representations from all over the world. This is a big, half-day trip.

Sadly, the city seems to be falling on hard times a bit recently. Lots of panhandlers and poutine-resellers.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the panhandlers are nothing new. I love montreal, but it really is a filthy city. and the roads are a joke... I think we should bring in Giuliani for some consulting or something.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
They've increased from my visits of 10 years ago.

The locals are not bothered by the bad roads, as they're too busy smoking and talking on their cells.

Is Montreal the smokiest N.American city?

PHV

Reaction score
I would second the vote for Mount Royal itself, and add the extensive gardens too.   I'm not into plants or gardening, but the gardens there are on a grand scale and very well-done, with representations from all over the world.  This is a big, half-day trip.

Sadly, the city seems to be falling on hard times a bit recently.  Lots of panhandlers and poutine-resellers.
Fallen on hard times??

It's growing faster than ever with high dollar condos and the like...

Agreeable

Reaction score
(Mr Checks @ July 05 2005,12:51) I would second the vote for Mount Royal itself, and add the extensive gardens too. Â I'm not into plants or gardening, but the gardens there are on a grand scale and very well-done, with representations from all over the world. Â This is a big, half-day trip. Sadly, the city seems to be falling on hard times a bit recently. Â Lots of panhandlers and poutine-resellers.
Fallen on hard times?? It's growing faster than ever with high dollar condos and the like...
Mr. Check...Since you obviously come from a hole (MidWest)..how can you possibility criticize Montreal and claim that it is undergoing "hard times"... I mean really Montreal is currently beginning to "boom" with new expensive condos being built left and right Like any other major city, Montreal does have homeless people who wander the streets and as to the poutine comment... it is illegal in Montreal to have street vendors, which makes it somewhat unique as in all other major cities there are hot-dog stands everywhere... Mr. Check failed to check the facts

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PHV,July 05 2005,15:09
Originally Posted by Mr Checks,July 05 2005,12:51
I would second the vote for Mount Royal itself, and add the extensive gardens too. Â I'm not into plants or gardening, but the gardens there are on a grand scale and very well-done, with representations from all over the world. Â This is a big, half-day trip. Sadly, the city seems to be falling on hard times a bit recently. Â Lots of panhandlers and poutine-resellers.
Fallen on hard times?? It's growing faster than ever with high dollar condos and the like...

Mr. Check...Since you obviously come from a hole (MidWest)..how can you possibility criticize Montreal and claim that it is undergoing "hard times"... I mean really Montreal is currently beginning to "boom" with new expensive condos being built left and right Like any other major city, Montreal does have homeless people who wander the streets and as to the poutine comment... it is illegal in Montreal to have street vendors, which makes it somewhat unique as in all other major cities there are hot-dog stands everywhere... Mr. Check failed to check the facts
Agreeable: #1. Â Change your name. #2. Â The "poutine" comment was based on an earlier comment in this thread. Â If you read the thread, you would have known that. #3. Â You caught me: I did not complete a study of the entire Montreal economy prior to my post. Â Instead, I relied on my eyes as I have perceived the city over the 23 years I have visited. Â I stand by the comment. #4. Â Â If you don't think that Montreal has a lot of panhandlers and is rough around the edges, then you are blind. Taste The Poutine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads