1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Montreal

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by scnupe7, Jun 22, 2005.

1. arrogant

arrogant Well-Known Member

(PHV @ June 23 2005,13:41)
    Also, on the week-end you should definately check out the corner of Sainte-Catherine and Saint-Laurent at the end of your night.....
    Might I ask what I will find here?

It was a joke... you're mostly likely going to get mugged and/or solicited many times for prostitution.

Thanks PHV for clearing that up. Â I think he should considering changing his name from arrogant to ignorant.

Well, if you want to get technical, that wouldn't make him ignorant, but actually well informed.
    Not really.  What he wrote is pretty common knowledge for people with even only passing familiarity with Montreal.  That  he felt the need to bring it up makes him ignorant in the sense of his being an ass.  What, next is he going to suggest that all visitors to Montreal visit Club Supersex?  Ohhh, that would be hilarious.
    OH LA GUY..... Since you seem to be the expert on Canada and more precisely, montreal please inform us of other hot spots and spots that one shouldn t wander alone in..... Obviously Saint-Laurent and Sainte-Catherine is not widely known for being a shady area...As the number of tourists getting mugged around that corner and along Sainte-Catherine at night rises every year....

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

who wants to bet that 'arrogant' is actually one of our other members playing a joke on la guy?

3. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

And this is where you recommend that I go?

4. arrogant

arrogant Well-Known Member

(arrogant @ June 23 2005,18:27) Since you seem to be the expert on Canada and more precisely, montreal please inform us of other hot spots and spots that one shouldn t wander alone in..... Obviously Saint-Laurent and Sainte-Catherine is not widely known for being a shady area...As the number of tourists getting mugged around that corner and along Sainte-Catherine at night rises every year....
    Put the shotgun away..I am on your side..I was just making a joke that PHV would catch onto.....

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Assuming that arrogant is not a joke identity.

FYI, I *am* a Canadian, from Ontario though, as most regulars know. I know Toronto to some degree, Montreal, considerably less. I actually know LA and NYC specifically Manhattan, a lowt more. Since you are the Montreal expert, why don't you be helpful for a change, okay?

You told me I can't take the heat. Dude, I've been a good sport for a couple of days now. More of this crap, and I'm kicking you the f**k out of the kitchen.

6. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

(scnupe7 @ June 23 2005,15:50)
    Since you seem to be the expert on Canada and more precisely, montreal please inform us of other hot spots and spots that one shouldn t wander alone in..... Obviously Saint-Laurent and Sainte-Catherine is not widely known for being a shady area...As the number of tourists getting mugged around that corner and along Sainte-Catherine at night rises every year....
    Put the shotgun away..I am on your side..I was just making a joke that PHV would catch onto.....
    Well I was asking a serious question, to which I expected a serious answer. If you know Montreal, then why don't help me out?

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Every time I go to Montreal, I climb up to Mont Royal for the view and the peace. Great park (parc du Mont Royal) with many paths, outdoor ice-skating in the winter, lots of kids playing soccer, people having picnics, sunning themselves. Don't miss the various ethnic neigborhoods (Portuguese, Jamaican, African...), their stores and restaurants. If you are familiar with Michel Tremblay's novels or plays, a stroll in Parc Lafontaine and the Plateau Mont Royal (working class neighborhood, French side). The theater and music scene is vibrant. There are two major free publications you can find everywhere, one in English, one in French, that list the week's offerings. In the summer, there are many festivals. Francopholies, jazz festival, Just for laugh/juste pour rire (http://www.hahaha.com/), etc. Check against your dates. It all depends on how much time you have.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Oh yeah, I have been to the Jazz festival, although that may be now, or already over. Not sure on dates. The energy is pretty amazing. Acts all over the street.

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I've been to the Montreal Jazz festival three times over the years, and I'm going next year again. The atmosphere is unlike any other and the shows on the street are all free. You can meet a lot of people easily, start conversations with complete strangers. It's usually end of June/beginning of July.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

11. j

j Senior member Admin

(scnupe7 @ June 23 2005,15:50)
    Since you seem to be the expert on Canada and more precisely, montreal please inform us of other hot spots and spots that one shouldn t wander alone in..... Obviously Saint-Laurent and Sainte-Catherine is not widely known for being a shady area...As the number of tourists getting mugged around that corner and along Sainte-Catherine at night rises every year....
    You are irritating, antagonistic and have nothing to contribute. But most importantly, you are not at all entertaining. So, goodbye.

12. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

(arrogant @ June 23 2005,15:52)

You are irritating, antagonistic and have nothing to contribute. But most importantly, you are not at all entertaining. So, goodbye.
    Well done J.

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

scnupe7,

In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think. Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling. I never felt unsafe. There is quite a crowd at night in the summer. Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood. Pretty good Pho to be had.

About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries. And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.

14. PHV

PHV Senior member

Fabienne, that assertion I'm afraid is rather naive. First of all, there is absolutely nothing that you'd want to see on that intersection, except for a Burger King. The only time people (tourists) go there is at night, and usually very late, where they get mugged or whatever. China town and adjacent Asian quarters are fine by day, but at around the locals go inside and it's a totally different ballgame... most of Montreal is very safe but some of it isn't.

15. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(Fabienne @ June 24 2005,05:20) scnupe7, In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think. Â Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling. Â I never felt unsafe. Â There is quite a crowd at night in the summer. Â Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood. Â Pretty good Pho to be had. About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries. Â And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.
    Fabienne, that assertion I'm afraid is rather naive. First of all, there is absolutely nothing that you'd want to see on that intersection, except for a Burger King. The only time people (tourists) go there is at night, and usually very late, where they get mugged or whatever. China town and adjacent Asian quarters are fine by day, but at around the locals go inside and it's a totally different ballgame... most of Montreal is very safe but some of it isn't.
    Naive or lucky or? I have spent several summers in Montreal. I usually rent a place off of North St Laurent, and often walked back to my apartment late at night through "la main". The worst thing that's ever happened to me is a guy who followed me for a few yards, insisting that I taste his poutine. [​IMG]

16. PHV

PHV Senior member

(PHV @ June 24 2005,14:41)
    scnupe7, In my experience, the corner of Sainte Catherine and Saint Laurent is not as bad as you might have been made to think. Â Yes, you might get propositioned, and yes, there are transient characters, but there's also a good deal of police patrolling. Â I never felt unsafe. Â There is quite a crowd at night in the summer. Â Go south of there for a stroll in the Chinese/Vietnamese neighborhood. Â Pretty good Pho to be had. About Quebec, if you really have a good deal of time, hop on to Quebec city for a trip down the centuries. Â And I think they have a music festival starting just when the Montreal Jazz festival ends.
    Naive or lucky or? Â I have spent several summers in Montreal. I usually rent a place off of North St Laurent, and often walked back to my apartment late at night through "la main". Â The worst thing that's ever happened to me is a guy who followed me for a few yards, insisting that I taste his poutine. [​IMG]
    O my god... what an odd inuendo.

17. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I really should have had the cops arrest him for attempted murder. Clogging my arteries, really. [​IMG]

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I second the vote on going to Time, it's my favorite place to go out in Montreal. It's a supper club, and in case you don't know what that means, they serve dinner there and then pull the center tables out and the place transforms into a club. As the night goes on the music gets more intense and then the real party atmosphere sets in.

I suggest that you make dinner reservations for 9:30 and ask for a table on the left side of the catwalk. You don't want to be on the right because that's where the bar is and that's where they start letting people in. The food is great and having dinner alllows you avoid waiting in line to get in. Dress well if you decide to go. The waitresses are awesome as well.

It really is something to experience, you'll love it when girls get up on the catwalk and start dancing at around midnight. Time is packed with good looking people, but it's also a very friendly atmosphere, much more so than a regular club. I wouldn't typically strike up conversation with other guys at a club, but at Time it's a bit different because your table is right next to some other group's table and it's inherently easy to mingle when the bottle service starts.

19. PHV

PHV Senior member

A very respectable review.

20. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

I would second the vote for Mount Royal itself, and add the extensive gardens too. I'm not into plants or gardening, but the gardens there are on a grand scale and very well-done, with representations from all over the world. This is a big, half-day trip.

Sadly, the city seems to be falling on hard times a bit recently. Lots of panhandlers and poutine-resellers.