• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

month long vacations

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have not had a vacation for a couple of years and i would like to spend a month in italy. does anyone know of a place i could rent for a month, preferably in rome? it doesn't have to be luxurious. i don't plan to be there much beyond sleeping.

p.s.

this would be for september or october.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you plan to truly relax and sleep, why not get out of the city? Rent a cottage in or near a sleepy village on top of one of the hills of Tuscany, like Radda (in Chianti). Great food, great wine, beautiful scenery, friendly people, etc. And, you're just an hour from the fantastic culture, food and shops of Florence.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an old friend/colleague who rents villas. None in Rome...but if you want to get out of the city. They are in Tuscany and Umbria I believe. The link is http://www.villasditalia.com bob

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you all for the advice. i'm really more of a city guy. i wouldn't mind taking a day trip to the countryside, but i'd prefer to spend the bulk of my time in rome.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what an average apartment, in an average neighborhood, goes for in rome?

in l.a. it's about $1200-$1500 for a 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some friends of ours recommend Studio Fori for apartment rentals in Rome. Just after the last Labor Day in America, we visited them in their rental in the Trastevere. The apartment was quite nice. While we didn't inquire as to what they paid, they crowed about getting a last-minute deal from the agent.

If you are flexible as to where in Rome you stay, this might be a viable option for you. Evidently, you can find an apartment you like and negotiate a month-long rate with the agent. The closer to your travel date, the lower the price.

http://www.accomodationsrome.com/

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Trastavere might be a good fit for you. It's historically a bit of a black sheep to the rest of Rome, but I understand its low rents are starting to draw student and artist communities. You'll get a great mix of locals, from the artistes to archetypical Italian grannies who have not only never left Rome but no **** never crossed the river to the city proper.

Not 100% sure about rents but for a furnished vacation-rental you'll probably be looking at 2000 euros or more for a small 1BR.

Tom

edit: some of the options here are 65 euros per day, or just under 2000 for a month.

Trilby

Reaction score
I also recommend Trastevere as a good base for an extended stay. It's a lively area, with a real neighborhood feel. Rents should not be ridiculous.

As an alternative to Rome, have you considered Venice? It's a truly unique city, and a month-long stay would really let you get under the skin of the place.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link tom. i found a few options there.

trilby, venice doesn't appeal to me much for some reason. i have a fascination for rome that stems from old movies and history lessons on psycopathic roman emperors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics