• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montegrappa Fountain Pens

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Does anybody know about this company? I am considering getting one of their fountain pens, and any help or information would be much appreciated.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a resin ballpoint pen; it's very nice, solidly made. Can't speak to their fountain pens.

Bentley

Reaction score
They are an Italian company that make high end fountain pens.

They are generally well regarded although they probably would not be my first choice. As I recall from reading reviews of them, they write reasonably well but not outstanding.

Moreover, I am not a fan of fountain pens with metal sections (ie. the area of the pen that your fingers rest on while writing) as they tend to get slippery- especially in hot weather when your fingers perspire.

Most of the Montegrappas I've seen seem to have this metal section design feature. It looks cool but is viewed with disdain by many fountain pen afficionados.

Italian fountain pens are known for having an artistic flair to their designs. However, if you're looking for an Italian fountain pen that writes well, I'd be inclined to go with either a Visconti or an Omas.

I own a couple of Viscontis and have been quite happy with them. The Omas is generallly regarded as the best writing Italian fountain pen but they are a bit more expensive. I haven't been able to put together the funds to my an Omas yet but hope to do so one day.

If you would like to look at some fountain pen reviews, check out the Fountain Pen Network. Their site is down right now but should be up soon. They have a Reviews section where users describe their experiences with various brands so you will be able to find a host of Montegrappa reviews on that site.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide to buy...I'd love to hear how it turns out.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
style/aesthetics: top notch

writing: so-so

David K

Reaction score
Here are six Italian pen companies which make pens that, aesthetically, are like the equivalent of Italian styled/constructed shoes: OMAS, Visconti, Montegrappa, Aurora, Delta and Stipula. OMAS and Aurora are venerable companies from the 1920's. Stipula and Visconti are the new kids on the block. I would suggest looking at Stipula. Their pens don't have metal sections and many are piston fillers. You can learn a lot by going to the sites Pentrace and Fountain Pen Network. If you are interested in specific pens, go ahead and mention them.

Enjoy David K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads