• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mont Blanc briefcase?

degaci

Reaction score
Help me please!

Dear Forum,

I recently purchased what I suspect is a genuine Mont Blanc briefcase on ebay

I am concerned it is fake as it does not match any of their current styles.

Has anyone seen this style before and could confirm whether this is likely fake or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220208678881

Thanks in advance for any help.

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by degaci
Help me please!

Dear Forum,

I recently purchased what I suspect is a genuine Mont Blanc briefcase on ebay

I am concerned it is fake as it does not match any of their current styles.

Has anyone seen this style before and could confirm whether this is likely fake or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220208678881

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Why would you buy something like that on ebay? You do realize that Ebay is a haven for fake designer goods, right?

2) Why didn't you check their current styles first?

seamus

Reaction score
Im sorry but I think its shoes from shoe makers, coats from tailors, wathes from watch makers ,bags from bag makers etc etc. Otherwise you pay more for less.
Thats been my experience. regards. Seamus

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Sorry, it's a fake.
+1. Definitely fake. Everything from the strap to the leather and the inside compartment that says "computer"
laugh.gif
leaves little doubt.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask for refund or let ebay know and sometimes ebay will get your money back.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fools and their money are soon parted.

Truer words could not have been written.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also want to add that every item sold by this seller is also fake. There is a really good article on counterfeit merchandise in the latest issue of Cigar Aficionado. Here is a very powerful quote from it: "If you've ever bought a piece of counterfeit merchandise - watch, action toy, handbag, sweatshirt - you have supported organized crime, tolerated child abuse, committed larceny and participated in a business that uses murder as a sales tool."

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
sometimes ebay will get your money back.

That's wishful thinking. Ebay can really do absolutely nothing. All they can do is send emails and try and mediate the thing, and that isn't going to work. The only way you can really take legal action against someone on Ebay is to hire an attorney, which is probably going to cost more than the item is worth unless you were ripped off for a nice rolex.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lesson of the day:

you can be a schmuck and buy counterfeit items off E-bay, just make sure you pay with credit card via Paypal, then you can always do a dispute.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I first started using ebay over a decade ago, I bought an item that turned out to be fake. It was before I became knowledgeable about brands but once it arrived I questioned the authenticity. I was lucky in that I contacted the seller and was able to return it and got my money back. From then on I've been very cautious.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Here is a very powerful quote from it: "If you've ever bought a piece of counterfeit merchandise - watch, action toy, handbag, sweatshirt - you have supported organized crime, tolerated child abuse, committed larceny and participated in a business that uses murder as a sales tool."

LOL. Not everyone who counterfeits cds, watches, toys, handbags, etc. is tony soprano. Let me guess, that was a quote from someone who is a marketing rep for a company that has been the victim of counterfeiting?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's from a veteran New York investigator.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dude, that thing is fugly anyway, why on earth would you buy that, real or not?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, that one is such an obvious fake I'm really surprised the OP ever suspected it to be genuine.

Anyway, after having made hundreds of posts on various forums over the years about how to avoid fakes by doing just a LITTLE bit of homework or being slightly informed as a consumer, I'm getting worn out with people who still buy fakes that exhibit all the warning signs and then act surprised. Yes, ebay is swarming with fakes and it is a shame, but at some point we have to hold buyers responsible for not doing their homework.

So, as Lee said above, a fool and his money are soon parted. You have an $8 briefcase for which you paid $200 and given the rather unattractive styling of the bag, probably the reason you did it was because it had a big "MONT BLANC" on the front. Live and learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads