• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogramming~

ikemen

Reaction score
where do you monogram your shirts?

all of mine are done where typically the label is located i.e. just below the shirt collar...

i see some did it underneath the cuffs, some others placed it on the area just right above the first button, to the left of your neck..

~~i see no point in doing it on pants, do you?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Left cuff...I'm flashy.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the point of monogramming one's shirts anyway other than to be flashy (obviously doing it for the dry-cleaners doesn't help much [read the thread about perment markings, staples and other atrocious on shirts])? IMO, it's a bit tacky, but if you're going to go that route do it as tacky and blatant as possible (cuff, neck, etc).

rbjones

Reaction score
My tailor puts it inside the collar, I thought it would be uncomfortable at first, but I don't even feel it. I got it for the dry cleaners, they better not eff with my shirts
devil.gif

HelloMrFancyPants

Reaction score
I stay away from monogramming altogether. I have all my shirts custom made and have only once gotten a monogram (left forearm) which I later regretted. Seems to me monograms are mostly for people who don't know any better.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like monograms. I do them on the left waist. Out of site and mind. Plus they look better there than anywhere else imo.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
What's the point of monogramming one's shirts anyway other than to be flashy
The exact same point as doing anything for yourself only, without being shared/shown to others. Some people enjoy wearing silk underwear, I enjoy having my monogram inside the yoke of my shirts. I don't need anyone else to see it for me to be happy

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The exact same point as doing anything for yourself only, without being shared/shown to others. Some people enjoy wearing silk underwear, I enjoy having my monogram inside the yoke of my shirts. I don't need anyone else to see it for me to be happy

Indeed.

Augusto86

Reaction score
I like to be able to see my own monogram during the course of the day, though. I look down and see my monogram there and have a flash of smug self-satisfaction at my nicely-cut shirts that I had custom-made for me. Makes my day

Plus, it's a conversation starter. People go, "what's that?", and I'm like, oh, my initials, and they go, "that's really cool, how'd you get that," and I go, "well..." and tell an funny and illuminating story about Hong Kong...

but whatever floats your boat.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I look down and see my monogram there and have a flash of smug self-satisfaction at my nicely-cut shirts that I had custom-made for me. Makes my day

Sad.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
Sad.

I shouldn't respond, but I found your picture online

condescendd53.jpg

And why don't you take your 75 posts and

snuffxdotcomstfunoobpu3-1.jpg

Seriously, it's a clothing forum. We get pleasure out of nice, custom-made clothes. That's the ******* point.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mine done on the left side, above the waist.

I haven't met anyone yet who can see those monograms through my suit coat.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

I do the same thing in monogramming the inside yoke.

I also do the monogram in a contrasting color to the primary shirt color and match the gussets to the monogram. It serves no useful or visual purpose, but I like it.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I monogram my undershirts....so I don't loose them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads