1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Monogramming~

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ikemen, May 4, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

So it's detachable?

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

So it's detachable?

No, that would be his monogrammed nipples.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The exact same point as doing anything for yourself only, without being shared/shown to others. Some people enjoy wearing silk underwear, I enjoy having my monogram inside the yoke of my shirts. I don't need anyone else to see it for me to be happy

+1 except I don't monogram, period. The inside of my shirt has the tailor's label, my initials in block letters and the month/year the shirt was made. They asked if I wanted monograms and I declined.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    Some guy's bitemarks don't constitute a monogram.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Some guy's bitemarks don't constitute a monogram.

pwned!

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1 except I don't monogram, period. The inside of my shirt has the tailor's label, my initials in block letters and the month/year the shirt was made. They asked if I wanted monograms and I declined.

Your initials in block letters = a monogram

7. soulstylist

soulstylist Senior member

....makes only sense to me if you have your shirts cleaned or even more if you live with a huge family where the male part have about the same size (and taste in shirts) and where the washing is done at home...

...as I live allone and do my own laundry - no monograms for me. But each to his own...

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Your initials in block letters = a monogram

They're printed on the label. I've always considered a monogram as something that had to be sewn-in.

9. johnnyblazini

johnnyblazini Senior member

Seriously, it's a clothing forum. We get pleasure out of nice, custom-made clothes. That's the fucking point.

There is a difference between enjoying nice, custom-made clothes and trying to show the world that you have nice custom-made clothes...

Btw, I fail to see the difference between monograms on cuffs and guys who keep the tags on the sleeve of their newly purchased glued suits...

10. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

There is a difference between enjoying nice, custom-made clothes and trying to show the world that you have nice custom-made clothes...

Btw, I fail to see the difference between monograms on cuffs and guys who keep the tags on the sleeve of their newly purchased glued suits...

They are clothes. Last I checked, they go on the outside of the body. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's all in your personal pleasure. You wear clothes out of vanity, and so do I, and so do all of us on StyleForum. We also enjoy the crafting and collecting and maintenance of said clothes, but if that was our main priority we would be tailors, not hobbyists.

We wear clothes because we want to look nice, and show the world ourselves looking nice. My Jantzen shirts look custom regardless of the monogram, but I think it adds an individualistic touch that most clothes lack. I am comfortable with the role of my clothing in my vanity. You don't seem to be.

Also, does this really look as flashy as sleeve tags...:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gdl203

Also, does this really look as flashy as sleeve tags...
    No. Sleeve tags are a sign of ignorance. This is simply pompous (IMO)

12. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

No. Sleeve tags are a sign of ignorance. This is simply pompous (IMO)

Why?

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why?
    I am going to have to agree with GDL here. The only reason for a visible monogram is if you can't remember your name. Something like that just shouts and good style tends to be a bit more subtle.

14. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

I am going to have to agree with GDL here. The only reason for a visible monogram is if you can't remember your name. Something like that just shouts and good style tends to be a bit more subtle.
    *shrug* Maybe so. I just sort of like the little pagoda shape, I could really care less if it had my name in it. But I'll keep doing it because hey, I'm in college and what the hell... Like I said at the beginning, I know it's vain. So I'll indulge myself in this and move on...y'all probably hold me beyond contempt for R&R bootcut jeans and black suits, anyways, so it's not like this battle is going to win me any points. I've found I'm just a bit of a flashy person and I've embraced that.

15. Aries

Aries Senior member

Hmm, I'm clearly in the minority here, but I've gotta side with Augosto in this particular case. The abstract nature of the monogram along with its small size and subdued colors strike the correct balance of lending the shirts a unique character without being tacky. If the monogram would have been bright or showy,such as $$, it would have been another story. I think most people of style also have quirks which separate them from the pack, quirks that others probably can't pull off.An example that comes to mind is Gianni Agnelli's well known habit of wearing his watch over his cuffs. Odd placement, but clearly it didn't look tacky on him. Just my 2 cents.

16. gdl203

A monogram on the cuff is not a "quirk". It's an option offered by all shirtmakers.

I'm not saying different is always bad. Just my opinion that a monogram on the cuff (especially if it can be seen with the jacket on!) is a bit pompous or tacky. Now, if it makes Augusto happy, by all means, enjoy them. Doesn't work for me though...

I'm ready to bet that Augusto will grow out of this prettty quickly...

17. Aries

Aries Senior member

A monogram on the cuff is not a "quirk". It's an option offered by all shirtmakers.

I'm not saying different is always bad. Just my opinion that a monogram on the cuff (especially if it can be seen with the jacket on!) is a bit pompous or tacky. Now, if it makes Augusto happy, by all means, enjoy them. Doesn't work for me though...

I'm ready to bet that Augusto will grow out of this prettty quickly...

I stand corrected in having mis-stated my opinion by using the term "quirk". I should have used the term unique instead, owing to the rarity of people opting for monogrammed cuffs, IME. In any case, in my opinion it looks good.

However, I hold your opinion in high regard because I think you are a veritable encyclopedia of sartorial matters, as witnessed by me on this forum. Your knowledge in these matters surpasses that of most on here, particularly mine.

Regarding a bet as to Augosto's monogramming habits in the future, you're on your own, because I don't have the capability to make a decision due to the subjective nature of this matter, as well as the fact that I don't even personally know him. [​IMG]

18. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

A monogram on the cuff is not a "quirk". It's an option offered by all shirtmakers. I'm not saying different is always bad. Just my opinion that a monogram on the cuff (especially if it can be seen with the jacket on!) is a bit pompous or tacky. Now, if it makes Augusto happy, by all means, enjoy them. Doesn't work for me though... I'm ready to bet that Augusto will grow out of this prettty quickly...
    In precisely 1 year when I have to go join the real world, cut my hair, and stop wearing French Cuffs everywhere. Until then rock out with my cock(and initials)out. [​IMG]

19. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

In precisely 1 year when I have to go join the real world, cut my hair, and stop wearing French Cuffs everywhere.

Why would you stop wearing French Cuffs? That's a terrible idea.

20. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I wear my coat pretty much any time I am not seated at my desk. This means nobody can tell if I am wearing a shirt that is unmonogrammed, monogrammed at the waist or chest, or has "HE HATE ME" stitched in two inch letters across the yoke.

In fact, I think I'll have Ricky make me a HE HATE ME shirt next time around. If we do a SF get-together I'll leave it to you to guess whether I'm wearing it.