• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogramming shirts

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just placed my first Jantzen order last night and saw that they had the option of monogramming your custom shirt. Being of Chinese birth, I took advantage of getting my name monogrammed in Chinese characters. Another advantage of ordering from a Hong Kong business.

What do you think about monograms? Self-indulgent or a nice touch when custom-ordering a shirt? What if it is not visible when worn?

I know many people would chose to place the monogram on the pocket, but I went with a no-pocket design and chose to place the monogram "On Left Arm". I hope that is not too conspicuous. If it is, I might revise my order to have it placed inside the yoke.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do mine just above the left elbow. almost nobody ever sees it but me.

Count Basie

Reaction score
Janzten monograms chinese characters? Hmm..theres another incentive for me to place an order (I'm in the market for some bespoke shirts as of late). I'm Korean, but like the majority of Koreans my Korean name is derived from Chinese.

FFW

Reaction score
if you are a criminal a monogram can be usefull to identify your body.

otis

Reaction score
The traditional place to put a monogram (according to Flusser, Martin Greenfield and others), which is rarely seen these days, is about 4 inches above the waistline of your pants on left side (for a shirt w/ no pocket).

I've only had a couple of shirts done, the first time I asked someone to put it in that spot on a shirt I already owned they put it too low. The next one I had done on a Brooks MTM I was getting at the same time I got my Greenfield MTM suit, and they did it perfectly (pink shirt w/ white monogram on Martin's recommendation, "don't show it off" he said).

In general though, I tend to agree that monograms should be subtle and understated. I read one recommendation to put on the shirt tail where no one would see it - but I don't go that far.

BjornH

Reaction score
I put mine (in the latin alphabet.) on the inside of the yoke. Came out very well. If you do that they leave out the Jantzen tailor label so the only writing on your shirt is your initials and the 'J' on the gusset, if selected.

I don't know about the practical value of this, but it is easy on my eyes when I reach for it.

B

rlevine

Reaction score
Yes, inside yoke is probably the most discreet place.

gardel

Reaction score
I don't see the point of monogramming a shirt except to help in identifying it at the laundry. In that case, on the yoke or some other hidden place makes sense. If a monogram is visible but discrete it doesn't bother me on someone else but I wouldn't wear one like that myself.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carson Kressley [sp] of Queer Eye has his entire first name monogrammed on his shirt cuff, in cursive script.

This is on the back cover of his own how-to-dress book.

Do as I say, not as I do, he says.  Still, such a man is hard to trust.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The traditional place to put a monogram (according to Flusser, Martin Greenfield and others), which is rarely seen these days, is about 4 inches above the waistline of your pants on left side (for a shirt w/ no pocket).  

I've only had a couple of shirts done, the first time I asked someone to put it in that spot on a shirt I already owned they put it too low.  The next one I had done on a Brooks MTM I was getting at the same time I got my Greenfield MTM suit, and they did it perfectly (pink shirt w/ white monogram on Martin's recommendation, "don't show it off" he said).

In general though, I tend to agree that monograms should be subtle and understated.  I read one recommendation to put on the shirt tail where no one would see it - but I don't go that far.
Otis: 2 questions for you: 1) did you ever have Brooks do monograming for you on RTW shirts? They seem to be unable (or unwilling?) to do monogram anywhere except usual places. 2) where did you read the excerpt about putting monogram on front shirt tail? That's where I put my monogram (on those occasions where I have them done).

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monogram placement differs from one side of the 'Pond' to the other. The position you describe is the traditional European one. In the United States, the most traditional placement is on the chest where the pocket shouldn't be. Second most popular here is on the left cuff. Third most popular is a tie between the left sleeve (forearm) and on the lower left tail about 2"-3" above the hem.
Janzten monograms chinese characters? Hmm..theres another incentive for me to place an order (I'm in the market for some bespoke shirts as of late). I'm Korean, but like the majority of Koreans my Korean name is derived from Chinese.
Any proper hand-monogramming artist can embroider virtually anything you (or they) can draw. I have done Chinese, Japanese, Greek and Russian letterforms/picture characters and, as well, many different symbols. (Sorry, Alias ... :-( never done a Korean one.) Even logos can be copied:
CB%20Mono_01_02Adj%20copy.jpg
If I can get permission from a client, I shall post a photo of a symbol as an example.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Even logos can be copied:
i think they do that in vietnam....almost everywhere. i might get my next shirt embroidered with "Kabbaz-Kelly & Sons Fine Custom Clothiers" in tribute to your 1000th posts here and at AAAC
wink.gif

tgfny

Reaction score
I don't wear monograms for the same reason my name isn't written in my underpants. What's the point?
I use the left tail just off the yoke. I actually have monogrammed boxers on the left leg as well. No one sees them until its too late (except when I go out with the jeans untucked shirt look working.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads