Monogrammed socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vc2000, May 11, 2004.

1. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

I was stuck in an airport the other day and read something about John Gotti wearing monogrammed socks?  (The article was old from around tax day 4/15 and talked about how Gotti reported a small amount of income but then dressed in a manner that was otherwise.)  I must admit that I don't think I have ever seen monogrammed socks. Just out of curiosity were would one buy monogrammed socks?

2. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Socks from anywhere, monogram from a little old lady who does monogramming all day probably.

...now it is also possible that his granny knitted them special.

he never did get it did he?

Singer? Fame is good
    Actor? Fame is good
    Politician? Fame is good

...mob boss? Call me crazy but i'm thinkin low key is better

3. andreyb

andreyb Active Member

I believe that Corgi can produce monogrammed socks.

4. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Where does one get interesting socks of high quality?  Paul Stuart has an okay selection I guess.  But I would love to find, for example, the kind with that sort of old fashioned "deco" design down the side - like an elongated lyre or scroll in a contrasting color - maybe even incorporating a monogram into the design.

By the way, does anyone else wear garters?

5. nova

nova Active Member

6. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

The Gotti socks were reported to be Gucci socks. Not sure if this is true or just the most exotic socks that a rumor could be created about him. I am not familiar with Gucci socks for quality or style.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a great monogram place? I must admit that I am not a huge fan of monograms as it feels a like having Grandma put your name on your undies for camp. However I do travel a lot and I find that a monogram is better than having cleaners write my name on shirts tails with a pen/marker. (Oh yes this happens at some of the best hotels - I have had heart failure when they did this to my new mtm shirts. They explained that it was the only way to make sure I got my shirt back. Another reason I love Jantzen shirts - if I lose or ruin one I'm not out $250 as with A&C or T&A) Also when I travel in foreign countries a monogram normally means you get your clothes back rather than a waiters tux as I have experienced in Russia. (But sir you got back dry cleaning...) The best solution is of course to take enough clothes for the trip but when I am doing a road trip for a couple of weeks the luggage because too much. I much prefer to travel with only one bag.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

Just saw this thread -- I was actually looking for some corgi socks. I thought Press had some on their site. You might try farkit.co.uk -- they've got a few colors listed now, but can get others.

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

If you have the time, you could always monogram them yourself. I monogrammed a handkerchief the other day, and it was surprisingly easy, though time consuming.

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Carlo
    I thought the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibited this sort of thing. It could also be a not-so-little old guy who spends his days hand-monogramming, you know. [​IMG] We monogram our Pantherella's all the time. It's a bit more difficult than shirts because the fabric is knitted and stretches. We won't monogram the Bresciani cashmeres, for example, because the monogram sinks into the deep pile and becomes unrecognizable. Note that if someone says they will machine-monogram socks for you, this will require a heavy paper backing sheet on the reverse side of the fabric (the inside of the sock). They will probably claim that the paper will wash away. Don't hold your breath on that ... and be ready to put up with the resulting roughness for a while. On the other side of the coin, a hand monogram will probably cost more than the socks themselves. FYI, the shirts of Mr. Gotti were specified not only with no monogram ... but with no labels as well. That seems generally to be the preferred style of those who earn their living in that manner ... whatever that manner may be.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

If by garters you're talking about sock suspenders, then I'll be wearing some soon. Have just ordered my first pair.