• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogram placement

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about, for ***** and giggles, getting a monogram on the front of my shirt for a Jantzen order. I was thinking about halfway between the chest and the waist, on my right side, your left as you look at me. I think Vintage Gent posted a shot of himself wearing a monogramed shirt like that and I liked the look. Not something for everyday, but a nice shirt to pull out of the closet to wear occasionally. Anyone done that? VG: You have that pix?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried it many years ago, on one of my first custom shirt orders. Most people would notice it by thinking that it was a stain and when I explained that it was a monogram, they thought me pretentious. Finally, I had to agree with them.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
left elbow.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
left elbow.

Now that's Trad.

When I've done monograms, they've been on the shirt front tail, below the waist. I was called a bounder (or near to it) on another thread for this taste, but I still like it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Very Fred Astaire

wow, in 39 years that is the first time I have ever done anything even remotly fred astaire lke.
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
wow, in 39 years that is the first time I have ever done anything even remotly fred astaire lke.
smile.gif

Come on, I'm sure you've tasted ginger.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I was thinking about, for ***** and giggles, getting a monogram on the front of my shirt for a Jantzen order. I was thinking about halfway between the chest and the waist, on my right side, your left as you look at me. I think Vintage Gent posted a shot of himself wearing a monogramed shirt like that and I liked the look. Not something for everyday, but a nice shirt to pull out of the closet to wear occasionally. Anyone done that? VG: You have that pix?

As requested, Stu. It's the fourth (last) picture.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=Chan

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Come on, I'm sure you've tasted ginger.

lol

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of the more entertaining ones we've done. Hand embroidered like this requires 3-4 hours each.

monos_large.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tommy Cheese
Regina FNB! How arriviste.

Tommy Cheese
Hard to please

Here's a treat for you Tommy, you can read about exquisite shirts for a change of pace:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/is-paris-burning

And, yes, in general, I think monograms are terribly arriviste, but for a piece of visual artwork for my website, its a great conversation piece. Pssst, my initials really aren't FNB.

And the two supplied above as examples underscore my point, and I am indebted to their examples of arrivistism. The athletic one for the cleveland clowns fits their working class ethic, and the one with the crown is exactly how someone without a proper approach to taste would interpret what I was talking about. The monogram I am working on for FNB will be elegant and enviable both.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inside the yoke (where the label usually is). Helps with the cleaners but is rarely seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads