1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Monocle (the magazine)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, May 3, 2010.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

The last issue I picked up had no fewer than 3 special sections 'inspired' by companies like Nokia and Samsung. When you can't tell the difference between the ad copy and the content, what's the difference?

Uh, welcome to most magazines and newspapers. I don't think Monocle is any more egregious than others, although I agree the materialism is at least a little crass and at odds with the rest of their "benevelont citizen of the world" image. And I realize I'm posting on a consumer-driven forum on which I have over 5k posts.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Monocle is a magazine marketted at me so world-travelling bobo hype/design/art junkie. I hate these people!

3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Uh, welcome to most magazines and newspapers. I don't think Monocle is any more egregious than others, although I agree the materialism is at least a little crass and at odds with the rest of their "benevelont citizen of the world" image. And I realize I'm posting on a consumer-driven forum on which I have over 5k posts.

I have no idea what magazines you read, but I have never seen anything as crass or as shameless as Monocle's brand whoring. Not even in garbage like Wallpaper*, and that's saying something.

Good monthly periodicals should try to sell ideas, not products. Monocle's epic fail is that its products are marketed as ideas. But if you read between the lines just a little, unlike our friend mafoofan above, you can see that each article is only a superficial treatment of a complex topic that could be easily resolved if everyone were a little more hip, a little more European, and wearing a little more Muji.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

This.

The rest is just filler meant to sell the item: "The modern, cosmopolitan urbanite sips his espresso at the corner cafÃ[​IMG] before buying a copy of Der Spiegel and tucking it into his Monocle x Filson office tote as he hops into one of Copenhagen's brand new trams to go to work." It's just name-dropping masturbation.

The last issue I picked up had no fewer than 3 special sections 'inspired' by companies like Nokia and Samsung. When you can't tell the difference between the ad copy and the content, what's the difference?

In my mind, that is not a successful magazine except in a purely commercial sense. It is a means of cajoling people with too much money and not enough good sense into idealizing a lifestyle that demands consumption for its own sake. The Monocle shop is particularly repugnant as it exclusively sells existing but rebranded items at a 200% markup, justifying the price increase by pointing to the wood-paneled walls and vaguely chic aura around the boutique.

So yeah, if you don't mind paying $10 a month to buy a catalogue that shows off all the latest shiny shit, by all means do. But there's nothing especially redeeming about what Monocle does or produces. It's the Louis Vuitton of the publishing industry: all flash and no substance.

You don't know shit about Vuitton...

5. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I like the magazine and buy it (but don't subscribe). The politics and current affairs are pretty light-weight and as others have said, proposed solutions always involve government intervention. In other words, don't cancel your Economist subscription...

The design, style and culture sections I think are very good and fit the styleforum demographic (if there is such a thing) quite well. Heavy emphasis on things nordic or japanese. I like most of what is featured and have actually bought a number of things - quality is always high.

It shouldn't surprise people that most of the advertizers, collaborators and even featured companies, cities, etc., in the magazine are clients of Brule's branding firm winkreative (http://www.winkreative.com/). Compare the client list on their website with any magazine issue and you'll get the picture pretty quickly.

Oh, the Monocle Weekly podcasts are pretty good too.

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

but I have never seen anything as crass or as shameless as Monocle's brand whoring. Not even in garbage like Wallpaper*, and that's saying something.

Good monthly periodicals should try to sell ideas, not products.

Maybe that is due to the fact that Tyler was the former owner of Wallpaper magazine before he sold it and started Monocle.

Also, just try and sustain a magazine in todays world without "partnering" with advertisers. It is virtually impossible to do it.

7. holymadness

You don't know shit about Vuitton...
    Sorry, didn't mean to butthurt any Marais hipsters. Feel free to substitute the analogy of your choice.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I have no idea what magazines you read, but I have never seen anything as crass or as shameless as Monocle's brand whoring. Not even in garbage like Wallpaper*, and that's saying something.

Good monthly periodicals should try to sell ideas, not products. Monocle's epic fail is that its products are marketed as ideas. But if you read between the lines just a little, unlike our friend mafoofan above, you can see that each article is only a superficial treatment of a complex topic that could be easily resolved if everyone were a little more hip, a little more European, and wearing a little more Muji.

Says who though? Monocle concept is hype consumption, you know authentic vacations, designer hotels, cool clothing. It's a bible that explains what to do, buy and talk about to build up your hype capital.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Sorry, didn't mean to butthurt any Marais hipsters. Feel free to substitute the analogy of your choice.

I'm not a Marais hipster, just saying that behind the crap items and gaudy campaigns there is a venerable luggage company that is among the best in the world. I'll go tell all my friends at La Perle that you're a loser. :p

10. holymadness

Maybe that is due to the fact that Tyler was the former owner of Wallpaper magazine before he sold it and started Monocle.
    I had no idea. [​IMG]
    I don't begrudge magazines the need to sell advertising space. But how useful would your copy of the Economist be if articles on financial reform in the US were an Economist x Goldman Sachs collaboration? There's be no point in reading any more.

I only expect two things:

1. Sincere attempts at profound or meaningful content
    2. Some measure of journalistic independence

I don't think that's very tinfoil hatted of me.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Also, the Monocle men fashion spreads are probably the best styled (at least to my taste) of any publication, print or online.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I had no idea. [​IMG]

I don't begrudge magazines the need to sell advertising space. But how useful would your copy of the Economist be if articles on financial reform in the US were an Economist x Goldman Sachs collaboration? There's be no point in reading any more.

I only expect two things:

1. Sincere attempts at profound or meaningful content2. Some measure of journalistic independence

I don't think that's very tinfoil hatted of me.

Once again how do you classify something as "profound"? Is it a matter of form vs content or some other bullshit dichotomy? Monocle is, once again, a consumption bible.

13. holymadness

I'm not a Marais hipster, just saying that behind the crap items and gaudy campaigns there is a venerable luggage company that is among the best in the world. I'll go tell all my friends at La Perle that you're a loser. :p
    Je prenais mes gouters là l'Ã[​IMG][​IMG] dernier quand je travaillais aux archives nationales. : O Small world. Plz tell them I am not a square. [​IMG] Can we say Monocle is the Paris Hilton of the publishing industry?

14. GusW

I stopped in the Monocle store in Brentwood. It is just OK, but hardly worth a drive out of your way to visit. They have very limited inventory and are out of stock of many items even though they are advertised in the magazines catalog.

Tyler is one smart and smooth guy. He has an amazing concept. I mostly enjoy the magazine due to the interesting variety of stories that would normally not make it onto my radar.

However, I am getting really tired of their recommendations on how to improve cities, companies, etc. It is becoming tiresome, and self serving. Hardly realistic in many cases. But, it may be the "I know it all" tone that is the turn-off.

15. GusW

2. Some measure of journalistic independence

I doubt you will ever see it at Monocle. Their advertisers are paying to be given the Monocle seal of approval by a "hip and smart" publication. That is what they are paying for.

16. holymadness

Says who though? Monocle concept is hype consumption, you know authentic vacations, designer hotels, cool clothing. It's a bible that explains what to do, buy and talk about to build up your hype capital.
    Hype capital? WTF is this nouveau riche crap?
    Once again how do you classify something as "profound"? Is it a matter of form vs content or some other bullshit dichotomy? Monocle is, once again, a consumption bible.
    You define profound the same way you would define it if you were telling a classroom full of kids to write you an essay. Those who say that the way to best fix American cities is to set up, in mafoofan's excellent description, "a high-end grooming lounge, bespoke tailor, and antiquarian book shop" on every street get an F+. Those who make an informed effort to explain the issues and offer knowldgeable criticism or an informed opinion get higher marks. This is not a post-modern existential dilemma, it's a matter of common sense.
    Also, the Monocle men fashion spreads are probably the best styled (at least to my taste) of any publication, print or online.
    I know you hate Belgium, but I have never seen better dressed mannequins anywhere in my life than at Crossword in Brussels. [​IMG]

17. GusW

Agreed. I like that they show most of it in settings that reflect travel and urban exploring. It gives it authenticity. It shows me where and how to wear it. It makes it practical. I like that.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I know you hate Belgium
    I don't know where you got that idea. I like Belgium - I just never especially enjoyed spending my free time there.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Hype capital? WTF is this nouveau riche crap?

You define profound the same way you would define it if you were telling a classroom full of kids to write you an essay. Those who say that the way to best fix American cities is to set up, in mafoofan's excellent description, "a high-end grooming lounge, bespoke tailor, and antiquarian book shop" on every street get an F+. Those who make an informed effort to explain the issues and offer knowldgeable criticism or an informed opinion get higher marks. This is not a post-modern existential dilemma, it's a matter of common sense.

I know you hate Belgium, but I have never seen better dressed mannequins anywhere in my life than at Crossword in Brussels. [​IMG]

"hype capital" is a joke on Bourdieu's social and cultural capital...

Once again I give you a F+ in understanding exactly what it is Monocle is offering to its readers. Keep in mind I don't especially subscribe to it or want to be part of their group.

As a friend likes to say "Beurk ce soir c'est soiree DA au Baron!" well at Monocle every issue is DA or designeur graphique special issue. It's about getting the right wayfarer for your prescription glasses and being able to have a veneer of int. living conversationational tidbits.

20. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

They are consistently anti-American and anti-free market--hence the dozens of articles per issue about improving urban life through heavy-handed regulation and planning and touting the superiority of northern European cities. It's as if they believe the reason why there isn't a cobblestoned main street--with a high-end grooming lounge, bespoke tailor, and antiquarian book shop--in every town is simply because people are too stupid to realize they need one and local authorities didn't write the right laws.

That said, I buy the magazine from time to time. It's very pretty and very pleasant to flip through.

Is their constant celebration of small businesses also apart of their commie sentiments?