1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Monocle on artisanry

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Britalian, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

This months edition of Monocle has some nice articles, not least about companies shunning China for production.
    Also, in the Accessories Directory 2008, which comes with it, is an nice article on Valextra's production facility in Pontirolo Nuovo, Borsalino's factory in Alessandria, south of Milan, and the manufacture of tortoise shell glasses by Osawa Bekko, Tokyo. Very interesting.

http://www.monocle.com/Magazine/volume-02/issue-17/

(not sure if site offers all of the above, but worth buying the mag anyway, Id say.)

2. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

This is by far one of the most interesting magazines on the market. Only if it wasn't so expensive

3. robin

robin Senior member

This is by far one of the most interesting magazines on the market. Only if it wasn't so expensive
    Just wait until you see the prices some of us pay for the Japanese magazines... ;_;

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I note they interviewed Brad Cloepfil who did that hideous renovation of Durell Stone's 9 Columbus Circle.

Interesting that they chose Borsalino, which many hat aficionados consider of inferior quality.

5. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

£5 shelf UK; €10 shelf Italy.

6. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

The magazine seems interesting, I think I'll pick it up. Is it worth buying on a regular basis?

/Adrian

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Looks cool. Do they sell to artisan fans in the U.S.? Is this available in NYC?

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The magazine seems interesting, I think I'll pick it up. Is it worth buying on a regular basis?

/Adrian

It's a pretty good magazine. I don't buy it every month.

9. bearlydavid

bearlydavid Senior member

Looks cool. Do they sell to artisan fans in the U.S.? Is this available in NYC?

They usually have it at places like Barnes and Noble

10. 505t

505t Member

At Borders too.

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

they sell Monocle at American Apparel of all places here in Los Angeles, in addition to the places above.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I appreciate that they are promoting the artisan concept as a viable and important manufacturing/retail trend. They do an excellent job seeking out successful artisans. Reading Monocle is a little like walking around a city and stumbling upon an interesting shop.

All the major cities of the US and Europe are turning into mall like chain stores. I like to see that there are still little gems out there to discover.

Monocle is my favorite magazine these days. I stopped my subscription to UK Esquire and UK GQ as well as US Esquire and GQ and Metropolis.

13. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Been a subscriber for a few years. High quality and beautiful magazine that is always thoughtfully and well made. They are also very good at being sophisticated and urbane without sounding snooty or pretentious.

Highly recommended.

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

not sure if srs

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

umm no

I haven't bought a monocle in years, as they started to annoy me, I know it costs money to run a magazine, but when did the price increase, so they had to double the amount of ad's?