• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monks or Brogues for an Interview?

miurasv

Reaction score
I have black Church's Westbury Polished Binder Monk Shoes and also 2 pairs of Church's Burwood Brogues, one in Sandalwood (Medium Tan) Polished Binder and the other in Burgundy Polished Binder and I'd like to know your views on how acceptable any of these shoes are for wear to an interview for a Sales Position selling extremely high end cars? Thanks in advance for any replies.

arc

Reaction score
Location, level of seniority, and the type of firm you are applying to would all be relevant for this. (With the disclaimer that 99% of interviewers won't care at all.)

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just stick with black cap toes. That's what they're there for: job interviews.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Just stick with black cap toes. That's what they're there for: job interviews.

I have 2 pairs of Loake Cap Toes with Dainite soles, 1 black and 1 burgundy but unfortunately the edge of the caps cut my toes so they're a no no.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ou also forgot one of the most important piece of information - What color suit you going to wear?

Or do you plan to decide the suit based on the shoes?

In that case I would go with the black monks.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Location, level of seniority, and the type of firm you are applying to would all be relevant for this. (With the disclaimer that 99% of interviewers won't care at all.)

The type of cars I'd be selling would be very high end sports, exotic and prestige cars.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
ou also forgot one of the most important piece of information - What color suit you going to wear?

Or do you plan to decide the suit based on the shoes?

In that case I would go with the black monks.

Could be Dark Blue Navy Pinstripe, Gucci, Crombie or Armani Colezzioni. Black Armani Collezzioni. Grey Ermenegildo Zegna or Grey with White Pinstripe Oswald Boateng.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Any chance they just need to be broken in?

Hmm. Could be but there'd be nothing left of my toes.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
The type of cars I'd be selling would be very high end sports, exotic and prestige cars.

Will you be offering a SF discount?
devil.gif

This question - "Is [x] appropriate for an interview?" - is a loaded one. This is a site where you get people from every point on the conservative-fashion forward spectrum; none of them know your personal style; few of them (including me, of course) will have actual knowledge of the specific environment YOU are interviewing in; NONE of us (including yourself) has any knowledge of how uptight the interviewer will be; etc.

Too many variables. That's why I opt for a fairly conservative interview outfit, just so I don't have to think about it. It becomes a non-factor, and I can think about other things. By conservative, I mean well-fitting navy or charcoal two-button single breasted suit with notch lapels, white dress shirt, black cap toe shoes, black belt, solid dark tie, no pocket square or french cuffs. Very boring. Fits in anywhere.

If you're limited to the three shoes in your first post... I'd say the black monks are the lesser of three evils. To me, tan is verboten for an interview, and burgundy is close behind it. My two cents.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Will you be offering a SF discount?
devil.gif
This question - "Is [x] appropriate for an interview?" - is a loaded one. This is a site where you get people from every point on the conservative-fashion forward spectrum; none of them know your personal style; few of them (including me, of course) will have actual knowledge of the specific environment YOU are interviewing in; NONE of us (including yourself) has any knowledge of how uptight the interviewer will be; etc. Too many variables. That's why I opt for a fairly conservative interview outfit, just so I don't have to think about it. It becomes a non-factor, and I can think about other things. By conservative, I mean well-fitting navy or charcoal two-button single breasted suit with notch lapels, white dress shirt, black cap toe shoes, black belt, solid dark tie, no pocket square or french cuffs. Very boring. Fits in anywhere. If you're limited to the three shoes in your first post... I'd say the black monks are the lesser of three evils. To me, tan is verboten for an interview, and burgundy is close behind it. My two cents.

Thanks very much for your replies. Black is the only shoe colour for an interview then which is what I'd have probably worn anyway but wasn't sure about the style of a monk shoe being appropriate. I do have some very stylish Borgiolis in black but are probably a bit too stylish if you know what I mean. Most of my better and more expensive shoes aren't black though as I find other colours more interesting and appealing. I can't wear cap shoes and I'm not really fussed on black brogues. You're right, the black monks are the lesser of the 3 evils. Hmm. Do I need another pair of Church's Burwoods but in black? Black Church's Graftons would be too chunky for an interview I think and I may be wrong but I don't think they go with a suit.

miurasv

Reaction score
I guess a very smart brown Canali Pinstripe Suit wouldn't be appropriate for an interview either.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
Thanks very much for your replies. Black is the only shoe colour for an interview then which is what I'd have probably worn anyway but wasn't sure about the style of a monk shoe being appropriate. I do have some very stylish Borgiolis in black but are probably a bit too stylish if you know what I mean. Most of my better and more expensive shoes aren't black though as I find other colours more interesting and appealing. I can't wear cap shoes and I'm not really fussed on black brogues. You're right, the black monks are the lesser of the 3 evils. Hmm. Do I need another pair of Church's Burwoods but in black? Black Church's Graftons would be too chunky for an interview I think and I may be wrong but I don't think they go with a suit.

The inside of your head is loud. Go be high end, exotic, and prestigious! Beyond that I agree with Tim.

miurasv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcmeyer
The inside of your head is loud. Go be high end, exotic, and prestigious! Beyond that I agree with Tim.

Please can you elaborate on the above.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear monks for an interview.

Is this a sleazy used high line dealer, a Mercedes/Porsche dealer, lambo dealer, or an antique dealer...because this makes a difference.

I'd dress as follows:

used high line...gaudy as possible
MB/Pcar...old money conservative
Lambo etc...flashy but with some taste
antique...cardigan or tweed, with cords and a pipe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads