Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Monks. How casual?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Swann, May 17, 2006.

1. Swann

Swann Senior member

How casual is a monk shoe Gentleman? Can I wear monks with jeans? Are they more casual then for example a pair of derbys?

Thanks in advance, Swann

2. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

They are not more casual than a pair of derby's IMHO. I think you'd be fine wearing a monk from a suit down to a pair of jeans (especially a brown suede monk; double strap gives extra-credit as it creates a nice attention-catcher at the bottom).

3. Swann

Swann Senior member

They are not more casual than a pair of derby's IMHO. I think you'd be fine wearing a monk from a suit down to a pair of jeans (especially a brown suede monk; double strap gives extra-credit as it creates a nice attention-catcher at the bottom).

Ah, that was quick. Thanks a lot for your response. Vielen Dank, Swann

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I'm wearing dark reddish-brown Tramezza monkstraps at the moment with a very conservative navy bespoke suit. But I also wouldn't hesitate to wear them with jeans either. And almost any outfit in between. Monkstraps can be very versatile shoes, if you choose your pairs carefully.

5. Swann

Swann Senior member

I was thinking of a pair of Vass monks in dark brown. [​IMG]

6. tweedlesinpink

tweedlesinpink Senior member

I don't normally dress very formally, but one of my favourites is my dad's beautifully maintained 7 year old pair of brown monk Florsheims.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Monks run the full gamet. Style like Oundle and Jermyn II are extremely formal and appropriate with almost any suit. Others with broguing hand stitching are less formal but still can be worn with a variety of combinations including less formal suits.

8. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Well, now, that's the beauty of the wonderful monk: I wear my black calf Aldens with jeans or a suit. Would get Jermyns if/when I could afford them.

My suede Certos I restrict to jeans/casual, but that's more a function of the shape of the toe box and its more casual design.

9. darck

darck Well-Known Member

I love the look of a monk strap together with jeans. Combined with a suit, the monk shows itself from its elegant side, whereas a pair of jeans seems to bring out both its elegance and it's "rebelishness", for lack of a better word.

10. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I have yet to own a pair but all these nice pics have got my interest. Is there a problem with them loosening because of the buckle? Any tips I should know before I venture forth?

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

[​IMG]

pretty casual. [​IMG]

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

[​IMG]

pretty casual. [​IMG]

forum members?

13. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

It depends on the monk. I wear a pair of Jermyn IIs with anything except t-shirts and that end of the spectrum.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

I have yet to own a pair but all these nice pics have got my interest. Is there a problem with them loosening because of the buckle? Any tips I should know before I venture forth?

I actually prefer monkstraps to loafers. I find the heel slippage I get with loafers annoying, even though I go down 1/2 size compared to laceups. With monkstraps, I buy the same size as I wear for laceups. I think monkstraps are as comfortable as loafers, but as well-fitting as laceups. And they're stylish, too. I love 'em and wear them with suits, jeans, and everything in between (though not the same pair).

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm also a big fan of monk straps. I own two good pairs so far (both AE Concords - one black and one chestnut), but I am always on the lookout for more. I don't own any loafers. I find monks to be very sleek and stylish without being overboard. I wear mine with jeans, with business casual, and with suits. Can't go wrong with a monk as far as I'm concerned.