• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monks A/B comparo

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's about $70 price difference between the two. The Barneys model is most likely from one of their Italian partners. My Q is which of the two is going to have better build quality ?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to ******** with the girl in your avatar.

That is all.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
There's about $70 price difference between the two. The Barneys model is most likely from one of their Italian partners. My Q is which of the two is going to have better build quality ?

Do I have to pick between these two? Is there any way to point you toward something close in price, like the Savile from C&J Handgrade?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the kind of strap in the left photo if I could.

I also dislike the wingtip/captoe look. For monks, I've become partial to the sleek, plain vamp, akin to the RLPL Grant and JL Jermyn II/Vale we've seen here.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I would avoid the kind of strap in the left photo if I could.

I also dislike the wingtip/captoe look. For monks, I've become partial to the sleek, plain vamp, akin to the RLPL Grant and JL Jermyn II/Vale we've seen here.

And the JL Chapel kicks the crap out of them all.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, the title of the thread is NOT " Help me to spend $1K-plus on a pair of monks "
laugh.gif

Frankly, I'm not looking to floor anybody with these shoes. Just some weekly drivers to wear with my multiple cords. Either pair can be acquired via a trip to downtown, and @ a discount at that ( about 1/4 of $$$ Grants).
For somebody who's based in Boston, tracking down C&J handgrades will be a whole other ballgame. Something for which I've got little time, let alone energy. Hence my habit to buy over the counter.
And speaking of

pkincy

Reaction score
I love the Chalfont. But that is just me.

Perry

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I love the Chalfont. But that is just me.

Perry

I do as well. I disagree with Jose completely, and find this sort of monk to be especially pleasing, especially with the the toe treatment. He is likely new to monks and does not realize that the Jermyn II style, while nice, is more of a specialty shoe than the prototypical monkstrap. If I were to have one monk from a RTW line, it may be the Jermyn II, but if I were to have 10, I would have one Jermyn II and 9 monks like this.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from stylistic preferences, the lasting on the 324 and 248 will be close to true-to-size fit, while the 341 and 337 are both elongated through the toe box. I usually opt for a half size difference between the two sets of lasts. Stylistically, I'm impartial to medallions and prefer the Chalfont. Regarding issues of comfort, I really like the 341 followed by the 324. Depending on the size of your feet, the slimmer strap on the Handgrade Saville begins to appear a bit unbalanced on feet larger than 10.5-11s. I believe the Malvern has the best balance for medium to larger sizes.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My choice among these would be the Savile, but norcal's point about sizing is spot-on. I do not think it looks as good on a larger foot.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
He is likely new to monks and does not realize that the Jermyn II style, while nice, is more of a specialty shoe than the prototypical monkstrap.
He is not new to monks and simply feels that kind of strap looks, to him, the least appealing under pants.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
" If I were to have one monk from a RTW line, it may be the Jermyn II, but if I were to have 10, I would have one Jermyn II and 9 monks like this. "

Preach, brother, preach

I figure nobody knows how each model fares in terms of build, huh ?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
He is not new to monks and simply feels that kind of strap looks, to him, the least appealing under pants.
You must wear some short and narrows
crackup[1].gif
Jose, I was not trying to insult you, but we all know a detailed history of your shoe purchases. I can't imagine that you have a closet full of monkstraps, but maybe you do. The strap pictured above is the classic, and I feel that it is bad advice to ignore its utility as a rule.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering you have a detailed history of insulting me, you can understand why I presume you insult me with every post to the point of talking about me in the third person. In any case, no, you don't actually have a detailed history of my shoe purchases beyond what I've chosen to reveal on this forum.

Our opinions stand, of course. Even with the Lobbs, I really wouldn't want, say, nine versions of the Matta to go with the Jermyn II unless I got a really got price on them. But again, that's only my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads