• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monk straps: Any regrets?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm partial to JL William and William II, but I also am a fan of JL St. Crepin 2010. For a single monk, JL's Vale continues to be my all time favorite.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm partial to JL William and William II, but I also am a fan of JL St. Crepin 2010. For a single monk, JL's Vale continues to be my all time favorite.

The Vale is my favorite, too. I'm still upset they discontinued it before I could snag a pair. :(

Since I first posted in this thread, I've added two pairs of double monks, so I guess I'm up to nine pairs of monkstraps, and thinking of adding more. The EG Westminster in dark oak and GG Oakham in vintage cherry are calling to me. Monkstraps are my single most frequently wore style of shoe. On average, I probably wear monks or double monks 2-3 times a week.

Last edited:

Longmorn

Reaction score
Since I first posted in this thread, I've added two pairs of double monks, so I guess I'm up to nine pairs of monkstraps, and thinking of adding more.

My god, man - that's an obsession! A healthy one, I suppose...

Which 9?

And do I understand correctly that the EG Westminster isn't represented at all, or just that you don't have it in Dark Oak?

Cheers,
LM

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My god, man - that's an obsession! A healthy one, I suppose...

Which 9?

And do I understand correctly that the EG Westminster isn't represented at all, or just that you don't have it in Dark Oak?

Cheers,
LM

Let's see, from memory:

Black Testoni captoe
Black Ferragamo Tramezza Filosofo
Chestnut Brown Ferragamo Tramezza Merald II
Dark oak EG for RLPL Grants
Burnt Pine EG Ashby
Dark brown Mantellassi split toe monks
Martegani color #6 shell cordovan special order EG Oundle look-alike
Black Santoni Jadwin double monks
Dark brown suede DC Lewis Matthew double monks

All except the Martegani and DC Lewis shoes were purchased on deep discount, from outlet stores, or on ebay. My favorites are the Marteganis, the RLPL Grants, and the two pairs of Tramezzas. I'd really like a pair of milk chocolate suede monks, a pair of brown double monks (hence the Westminster), and I'm obsessed with the swept-back straps of the JL Vale, Chapel and the GG Oakham. I just think the swept-back straps look very sleek and very, very cool.

Last edited:

kturpin

Reaction score
Let's see, from memory:
Black Testoni captoe
Black Ferragamo Tramezza Filosofo
Chestnut Brown Ferragamo Tramezza Merald II
Dark oak EG for RLPL Grants
Burnt Pine EG Ashby
Dark brown Mantellassi split toe monks
Martegani color #6 shell cordovan special order EG Oundle look-alike
Black Santoni Jadwin double monks
Dark brown suede DC Lewis Matthew double monks
I can't say I'm familiar with most of those and I'm not about to google all of them, but congrats on the impressive collection. If only you were sz. 11, I'd try to convince you to get rid of a few pairs haha

Wow. How many pairs of shoes do you own? If this is just your double monks, I'

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to monks as my first two pairs have been purchased in the last 30 days:

EG

And my first pair of AE. I wanted to try a monk for something casual. So far I like and I wear them everywhere:

labravajazz

Reaction score
Those casual AE monks look good - what model and how is the fit re sizing?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those casual AE monks look good - what model and how is the fit re sizing?

They are the AE Lubbock. I ordered my regular size--11.5. They don't fit quite as well as most of my shoes but I purchased them on the recent AE sale for $200 so they fit decently for what they are. The have actually broken in quite nicely and quickly considering they are double soled.

labravajazz

Reaction score
Thanks for that do they run slightly large? Compared to say CJ 10.5 E uk or similar?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Does anyone wear double monks with jeans? I'm looking for something casual in tan.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone wear double monks with jeans?  I'm looking for something casual in tan.

I'm wearing a pair of double monks with jeans right now, burgundy punched captoes. They may not be completely appropriate, but I don't care because I'm traveling and they also have dainite soles, so they come on and off easily at airport security and are good in rain and snow.

Double monks are more casual than single monks and, with a casual leather, they should be fine with jeans. John Lobb sells the William in tan color and what they call buffalo grain leather that would be perfect, depending on your price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads