1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Monk straps: Any regrets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brandall10, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

I think it's a toss-up between the G&G Mayfair and the Edward Green Westminster. The Mayfair is a bit edgier, the Westminster a bit more classic (although more modern than the Lobbs pictured above).

If you wear slimmer suits a more classic shoe might help anchor the look and ensure it doesn't look too trendy.

This series of posts on Die, Workwear!'s blog may be of interest:

http://dieworkwear.com/post/4004301520/the-double-monks-series-part-i-baller-monks-priced

http://dieworkwear.com/post/4025122358/the-double-monks-series-part-ii-mid-level-monks

http://dieworkwear.com/post/4045613581/the-double-monks-series-part-iii-cheap-monks-priced

http://dieworkwear.com/post/4086119731/the-double-monks-series-part-v-conclusion

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

I agree with this

Double monks are to fashion forward.

3. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

Both of these are dress shoes not casual shoes.

4. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

Feet look to small in these, nttiatwwt:D

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Excellent feedback. Now I'm torn between the G&G and JL Chapel's. Hmmm. I like the G&G MTO options, but having never owned a pair (just tried on) I'm a little concerned.

6. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

7. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

In particular, which last to get.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm partial to JL William and William II, but I also am a fan of JL St. Crepin 2010. For a single monk, JL's Vale continues to be my all time favorite.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

The Vale is my favorite, too. I'm still upset they discontinued it before I could snag a pair. :(

Since I first posted in this thread, I've added two pairs of double monks, so I guess I'm up to nine pairs of monkstraps, and thinking of adding more. The EG Westminster in dark oak and GG Oakham in vintage cherry are calling to me. Monkstraps are my single most frequently wore style of shoe. On average, I probably wear monks or double monks 2-3 times a week.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

My god, man - that's an obsession! A healthy one, I suppose...

Which 9?

And do I understand correctly that the EG Westminster isn't represented at all, or just that you don't have it in Dark Oak?

Cheers,
    LM

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

Let's see, from memory:

Black Testoni captoe
    Black Ferragamo Tramezza Filosofo
    Chestnut Brown Ferragamo Tramezza Merald II
    Dark oak EG for RLPL Grants
    Burnt Pine EG Ashby
    Dark brown Mantellassi split toe monks
    Martegani color #6 shell cordovan special order EG Oundle look-alike
    Black Santoni Jadwin double monks
    Dark brown suede DC Lewis Matthew double monks

All except the Martegani and DC Lewis shoes were purchased on deep discount, from outlet stores, or on ebay. My favorites are the Marteganis, the RLPL Grants, and the two pairs of Tramezzas. I'd really like a pair of milk chocolate suede monks, a pair of brown double monks (hence the Westminster), and I'm obsessed with the swept-back straps of the JL Vale, Chapel and the GG Oakham. I just think the swept-back straps look very sleek and very, very cool.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  13. kturpin

kturpin Member

14. Patek

Patek Senior member

I'm new to monks as my first two pairs have been purchased in the last 30 days:

EG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my first pair of AE. I wanted to try a monk for something casual. So far I like and I wear them everywhere:

[​IMG]

15. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Those casual AE monks look good - what model and how is the fit re sizing?

16. Patek

Patek Senior member

They are the AE Lubbock. I ordered my regular size--11.5. They don't fit quite as well as most of my shoes but I purchased them on the recent AE sale for $200 so they fit decently for what they are. The have actually broken in quite nicely and quickly considering they are double soled.

17. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Thanks for that do they run slightly large? Compared to say CJ 10.5 E uk or similar?

18. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Does anyone wear double monks with jeans? I'm looking for something casual in tan.

19. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm wearing a pair of double monks with jeans right now, burgundy punched captoes. They may not be completely appropriate, but I don't care because I'm traveling and they also have dainite soles, so they come on and off easily at airport security and are good in rain and snow.

Double monks are more casual than single monks and, with a casual leather, they should be fine with jeans. John Lobb sells the William in tan color and what they call buffalo grain leather that would be perfect, depending on your price range.

20. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

Are monks considered slippers, technically?